The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
16 bits 44.1 k SACD ?
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

16 bits 44.1 k SACD ?

I read a pro audio magazine. The head editor says how difficult studio business is today, how little profit they make and that few studio's can invest in DSD gear.

He also stated that some record companies don't have any problem to re-release recordings on SACD that were recorded with older convertors in 16/44.1 format.

He could hear that within 10 seconds he says and the rec. co. guys are surprised about that.

Say it aint true please
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

Re: 16 bits 44.1 k SACD ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Han
He also stated that some record companies don't have any problem to re-release recordings on SACD that were recorded with older convertors in 16/44.1 format.
Where is the problem with that ??? Why can't record companies re-release old recordings on SACD. Frank Sinatra / the beatles / whatever on SACD ... I'm fine with that.
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

You don't have to buy an SACD player and SACD's to get CD quality. Right or wrong?
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Re: 16 bits 44.1 k SACD ?

Quote:
Originally posted by posterchild
I don't think that's what he meant... I think he meant that, instead of taking advantage of the sonic advantages that SACD has to offer, some record companies are taking the exact same masters used for the regular old CD and using that as part of the "Super Audio" layer... Basically, you'd be paying to listen to the same same dang master with no improvements...

tutt
Yeah, and people buy into it thinking it will sound better. grudge

It reminds me of the guy who calls the studio who has a crappy sounding cassette tape and wants me to transfer it to CD so it sounds better (on account of it's digital).

From the record labels point of view, ignorance is bliss.
Old 8th May 2003
Mastering Moderator

Always check the label!
I have to say I have noticed a lack of labels clearly indicating the source tapes, especially here in the U.K.
The other day I picked up a copy of Dark Side Of The Moon SACD (44.1, stereo SACD and 5.1 mix) at an airport outside the U.K. and it was clearly stated that it had been remastered (By Doug Sax by the way!) from the original analogue tapes. I then also noticed in the same shop other titles with similar stickers saying "remastered by ....... from the original tapes"
Remastering for the DSD fromat from original analogues in good shape makes sense (or DVD-A). Remastering from 44.1 sources...........
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear