The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
United Minorities Ginko/Seismo...How are they? Studio Monitors
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear Maniac

United Minorities Ginko/Seismo...How are they?

I've PM'ed a few people here, but I wanted to open a thread about the Ginkos...primarily those who have used this "one way" system as their primary monitors.

United Minorities has a 2.1 system using a "low tone speaker" (not a sub, so they say) and their own proprietary amp, but I haven't heard any detailed reports from those using the "Flow" as a full range system. Internet info is sparse and the website has nothing new to say. (I can't even get a frequency response graph on the English version of the website.)

Any and all experience with this system is welcome.

Thanks.
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear Maniac

bump...anyone?
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

what can I say.....I´ve been using the complete Flow system for months....and I´m happy as f***

can hardly stand any regular speakers my friends are using now, adams, dynaudio, K/H etc., (happily sold my focals, too)

you just get used to the amazing spatial information, the depth & the ultra accurate impulse response of the Ginkos!

no phase distortion, no crossover, perfect midrange....

the "sub" is a very great add-on and really feels different from other systems too,
don´t know the exact detail of it´s construction...but it also doesn´t have a real crossover or something like that....all I can say:

I normally hate subs, but the seismo works for me!

the only disadvantage of the system.....it´s very precise and doesn´t get very loud...
not perfect for tracking or impressing clients!!!!

I still want a pair of Barefoots alsongside......I think that combination would kill heh
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks Tom...

Do you get a full 20 to 20k with the seismo? How much did they set you back? Any specific info on the amp?
Old 3rd September 2009
Tom I totally agree......... Great speakers. I only have the 2.0 System but they are dawn good especially the midrange.
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear

I am guessing that not many in the U.S. will have access to these yet. They look really interesting. I am curious on cost as well.
Old 3rd September 2009
Gear Maniac

bump
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear

haven´t measured anything and probably won´t for a while....

I´m organizing the HI-END GEAR conference in Hamburg, which is in less than 2 weeks....and might move to north germany permanently afterwards!
If I have a new studio-room and all set-up I´ll be happy to give you the answers.

I´m a room acoustics nerd, too and will measure probably anything anyway

don´t quote me on that, but if I remember right ....price was around € 3.800,- plus vat

cheers tom
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear

Any demos in the USA ?

Hey Tom;
Is there a dealer with demo speakers here in the US?
Looks very interesting to me!
Old 5th September 2009
Lives for gear

Hi Paul...dunno....I´ll ask the guy from UM for ya,
there just in town and I´ll probably have coffee with them in an hour or two anyway.

"gearslutz - the short cut!" lol

I´m sure there would be one way or another to testdrive them...

cheers tom
Old 5th September 2009
Gear Maniac

me too, Tom, updates please! Thanks for the info...
Old 5th September 2009
Lives for gear

sorry, bad news....

there´s unfortunately no dealer in the U.S. yet and
probably won´t be soon, simply because they´d get too
expensive atm.

with the dollar at 1,4 and additional shipping ($ 300+ one way, for the complete 2.1 system)
they´d be around $ 5800,- (plus tax?) and there wouldn´t be much money to be made with for any dealers!
it just doesn´t make sense from a business perspective for a u.s. dealer

shipping them back would be a bit cheaper (isn´t that strange??), so basically it would cost around $ 500,-
to try them and ship em back in the US.

It´s a shame, because I find them to be one of the best monitoring solutions out there.
For me there´s no way back to any of my former nearfield systems!

I´d love to have a second BIG/Loud system like a pair of Barefoots MM27 or ATC scm150/110 etc. , but for the main bulk of the work I love my Ginkos
Old 6th September 2009
Lives for gear

Oh well?

Tom;
Thanks a lot for checking into this for us.
Too bad no distribution here in the US.
Oh well..
The search continues........
Old 20th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE YOU View Post
Any other ideas on tiny portable monitors?

I have the FOcal SOlo 6's and they are great, but too big.
i travel with the wee genelec 6010s but thats for writing. they are great.

wouldnt want to attempt a full final mix on them though.

most mixes when i got home and listened on my twins werent too far out though, apart from the bottom end which makes sense !!
Old 20th October 2009
Gear Addict

I use the Genelec 6010s alongside my K+H 0300Ds and they sit together very well.
Old 15th June 2011
Here for the gear
I have a pair of passive Ginkos (without the associated LFE or power amp). I have a small Rotel amp which drives them. I sometimes run an active sub of another brand alongside w/ crossover (cheap solution).

I can say these speakers are very precise. And they convey like 90% of what you need to know (barring bass). But for their size, they sound astonishingly "big". I'd say 100 Hz is still rock solid on these, given proper listening distance.

The overall sound is expectably very "neutral" and it does not whitewash as other speakers do. So the first impression may be a bit disappointing, depending on what you expect.

Many other speakers color the sound and have a distinct dip in the upper mids (like 2k). The Ginkos don't have that dip and thus may be perceived to sound a bit "harsh" in comparison. I have had different reactions from friends. One hated them right away while another was totally impressed.

As Tom said, they don't get very loud and setting them apart for much more than one meter didn't work for me (brittle sound). Classic nearfield. But other than that, I'd say these are very accurate, honest and dry speakers.

They do not "inflate" at all. At a friend with large floorstanding hifi speakers I heard my mixes and they sounded much larger and wider than at home. Not quite as I intended; I might have narrowed the drums a bit if I had such reference in my room. But then, those are hifi speakers which do inflate a lot.

I would sometimes like large main monitors to get a second opinion, but if I had to decide for one pair (which is the case at the moment), I'd be happy with the Ginkos alone.
Old 17th March 2013
Gear Nut

new owner of the ginko 2.0 (speaker & amp) here...

i am very impressed! these speakers reveal so much detail in transients, tonality and image that it is a little dissapointing returning to my current main monitors (focal solo 6be).
so i am glad i ordered united minorities´ large speaker system (wally-t) as well.

you have to know what these speakers can and can not do, though:
impressing clients, playing loud or judgeing low bass content: definately not.
but everything else is there in spades, which makes them amazing speakers for recording/mixing on location or in home settings, where the low end content is unjudgeable/undealt with anyway.

looking forward to spending more time with these little heroes, greetz to the slutz, johannes
Old 15th June 2014
Lives for gear

How do these compare to avantone mix cube?
Is there any other great one way speaker on the market?
Old 18th June 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
How do these compare to avantone mix cube?
Is there any other great one way speaker on the market?
i happen to have both speakers and had them side by side for a while.

biefly:
avantone: blurry glass to see if the picture you painted behind is still viewable.
ginko: microscope

best, johannes
Old 18th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlindsey View Post
i happen to have both speakers and had them side by side for a while.

biefly:
avantone: blurry glass to see if the picture you painted behind is still viewable.
ginko: microscope

best, johannes
Wow that seems great.
Since you have the 2.0 version, do you miss having the seismo low tone speaker, is that something that you would like to have now?

Any other user with the seismo, does it make the kit less linear since it doesn't have a crossover? I don't want to have a bump in the low mids... But I'd like to get some lows.
Old 21st June 2014
Gear Nut

if you want a full range system in my eyes it would be better to spend the money on united minorities small wallys:
nearly the same money and you get an amazing pair of speakers that is loud and big enough to impress clients and was built with a crossover in mind from scratch. i had them briefly in my studio, which lead me to buying the wally towers

i think the major advantage of the ginkos is the missing of a crossover, the flatness and accurateness in the areas it covers and the ability to work in every room. the stregth lies in the consequence.
if you add a sub to the system lots of the good stuff gets a little worse and to me the whole deal isn´t so attractive any more as the sub is more expensive than the speakers themselves.

but yeah, if you only work for yourself in small rooms on mainly acoustic music and occasionally want to have some extra lows to switch on then the ginko/seismo probably is the way to go.

best, johannes
Old 21st June 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks Johannes,

What you say about the Seismo makes sence but at the same time I won't have room for another set of speakers so I need my main kit to let me hear the top and bottom as well.
Here's the thing, I freelance a lot in different studios, I also do mobile recordings every now and then and I usually end up mixing at home for budget reason.

I'm in an apartment and don't have a dedicated room so my kit is in our bedroom / living room, it sounds ok but like every room that's not treated it has issues so I was thinking that a small kit like the Ginkos would be less affected by the room.
I also have to be close to the speakers, lack of space. I used to mix on a big two way + sub system but I had way too much low mids which resulted in thin mixes so I replace them with smaller 2 way speaker with the same sub and it's better but they're not great either and I have to move my head up and down to find the sweet spot between the tweeter and the woofer.

When I mix in a studio there's a lot less second guessing and I'd like to get closer to that feeling at home as well, even if the clients don't have the budget to mix in a studio my name is still on what comes out of my place so I need it to be top notch.
Old 21st June 2014
Gear Nut

sounds like you will be very happy with these speakers then ;-)
one more option: buying only the ginkos for price reasons and buying a very good set of headphones for controlling the bass...
any way i bet you will be very happy as long as united minorities is written on your new system!
greetz, johannes
Old 21st June 2014
Gear Nut

I can not agree on any disadvantages using the seismo. I tested both the 2.0 Passive Ginkos and the Unit System with Ginkos and Sub and ordered the latter with some minor personal adjustments. this is by far the most accurate near field on the planet. I just doesn't get too loud and doesn't work for clients. that is why I ordered a personal main system from united minorities as well.
Old 22nd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basstian_DE View Post
I can not agree on any disadvantages using the seismo. I tested both the 2.0 Passive Ginkos and the Unit System with Ginkos and Sub and ordered the latter with some minor personal adjustments. this is by far the most accurate near field on the planet. I just doesn't get too loud and doesn't work for clients. that is why I ordered a personal main system from united minorities as well.
What kind of adjustment did you do to your ginko?
Also I didn't see the main on the united minorities website, does anybody have any pictures or specs?

Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
What kind of adjustment did you do to your ginko?
Also I didn't see the main on the united minorities website, does anybody have any pictures or specs?

Thanks
I just asked Attila to make the seismo a little bigger to let it go a little deeper. Nothing too special. You will not find any info on the main. for they are a special development for me.
Old 22nd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just asked Attila to make the seismo a little bigger to let it go a little deeper. Nothing too special. You will not find any info on the main. for they are a special development for me.
Attila just sent me pictures of the Wally, these look awesome but they are too big for my room and he only offer them with personal delivery which would cost me quite a bit since I'm in Canada.

Seems like the Ginko and seismo would be a good choice for me, quiet and accurate fit what I'm looking for.

Do you recommend that I get the bigger Seismo like you did?
How lower does it get compared to the original?

Thank you!
Old 22nd June 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Attila just sent me pictures of the Wally, these look awesome but they are too big for my room and he only offer them with personal delivery which would cost me quite a bit since I'm in Canada.

Seems like the Ginko and seismo would be a good choice for me, quiet and accurate fit what I'm looking for.

Do you recommend that I get the bigger Seismo like you did?
How lower does it get compared to the original?

Thank you!
I would recommend that you just get the approved "standard set". it I completely perfect the way it is. the different size was just the outcome of dozens of talks between Attila and me about the main system and other stuff. it is not needed. just some personal preference.
Old 23rd June 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks Basstian and Johanne, I appreciate your input.
I think the Ginkos with seismo are the best option for me if they have good high frequencies as well, whats your thought about the top end?
Old 23rd June 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
... this is by far the most accurate near field on the planet.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search