The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sytek, Buzz Audio, or Hardy M1's ???
Old 1st September 2009
Lives for gear

Sytek, Buzz Audio, or Hardy M1's ???

I record mainly acoustic guitars, strings and vocals.....

Which one of the following pre's would you recommend and why???

Sytek, Buzz Audio MA2.2, or John Hardy's M1's ??? Thanks in advance!
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

john hardy m1. Huge clear detailed and faithful, true. It dosent matter what you throw at it, it gives you amazing results! Especially the ones you mentioned. I even tracked my keyboard and synths through it and just the size! And space that it created was just plain amazing! The buzz is great to, but I recommend the hardy m1 hands down, no contest really.
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

LeChapell 500 series
or
Millenia Media hv-3
or
John Hardy M-1 with in+out transformers.
or
FMR RNP
or
Amek CIB
or
MCI JH-600 console
or
the newer Crane Song Flamingo that has the clean 3rd button.
or
Focusrite Liquid Channel or 4PRE
or
... Roland Vs2480cd
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear Nut

John Hardy M1, Gordon, GML - are the best I have heard in Clean style Mic Pre's.
Can go wrong with any of them.
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear Maniac

There is a very good comparison on 3d Audio´s Pre CD. It features acoustic guitar to show the differences between preamps.

I chose the Buzz Audio MA2.2 mainly because of this CD and advice from the fellows and I´m very happy with that. Gorgeous acoustic guitar sound. Uncolored, punchy with all the natural sparkle. Love it!
Old 2nd September 2009
buzz audio MA 2.2
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

Check out the NPNG too.
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

One more vote for buzz audio. Spectacular!
Tamas Dragon
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

I own both M1's and Buzz MA2.2's. Both are solid sounding pre's, capable of capturing magic on string instruments or voice. It's a matter of preference as to which one you prefer.

If you were looking at the deluxe models (Jensen XFRMR in/out on the Hardy, and Sowter XFRMR out on the Buzz) my choice is the Buzz.

As I said tho, BOTH are very capable pre's. Which one you would prefer, I cannot say...

best,
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

The choice is between the two Chicago products!

Sytek is clean and costs less. Transformerless with smooth sound. The top range of the potentiometer on the Sytek is not really useable. A great budget mic amp, well built!
Slightly soft transients lends it a lush sound.

Hardy is a luxury mic amp and needs to be ordered with input and output transformers in my opinion. Hardy is more flexible with low cut filters and dual range gain structure.
An excellent all 'round mic amp---lasts a lifetime. More expensive than Sytek.

Basically it is a budget consideration since the Hardy is a better mic amp.
Old 3rd September 2009
Gear Guru

Buzz is great if your guitar is on the bright side, otherwise I would go for API and then Hardy.
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

Im sure all three are great, I just can't wait to get a Hardy 500 series. John said he might be showing the Servo version in October.

Hardy for Clean, Fearn for Thick........ yeh

(In a sentimental mellow Moe's Voice, like when he fell in love with Maya)
Old 12th September 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
buzz audio MA 2.2
yes to 2.2 or Elixir, it has a little darkness that sounds amazing for what you want, the DI is even better.
Old 12th September 2009
Gear Maniac

Another vote for the Buzz Ma 2.2
Old 29th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugHead View Post
I own both M1's and Buzz MA2.2's. Both are solid sounding pre's, capable of capturing magic on string instruments or voice. It's a matter of preference as to which one you prefer.

If you were looking at the deluxe models (Jensen XFRMR in/out on the Hardy, and Sowter XFRMR out on the Buzz) my choice is the Buzz.

As I said tho, BOTH are very capable pre's. Which one you would prefer, I cannot say...

best,
Bumping an old thread. How would you describe the difference between these two preamps? From what I have read, it appears that they may sound fairly close. Is that correct? Thanks.
Old 29th August 2016
Lives for gear

Yes, and no. The Hardy M1's (deluxe model) sound very thick: there is a certain weight they carry, and with that, a clarity that many love.

The Buzz sounds almost hyper-realistic: it sounds 'fast' - like a Ferrari or souped-up rocket car. Again, very realistic, but a bit too much to believe.

Both are excellent pre's and are built and run by 2 of the best people on the planet.

Hope that helps.

NJB
Old 29th August 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks. I've heard great things about both. From your description, I think I may lean toward the Hardy.
Old 31st August 2016
Lives for gear

Buzz QSP20 is the best I have heard when it comes to acoustic guitars (I can say the same for the SOC20 comp, so maybe all their gear is great at capturing realism rather than hyping the sound. If the MA2.2 is anything like that then that is my vote.
Old 31st August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post
Buzz QSP20 is the best I have heard when it comes to acoustic guitars (I can say the same for the SOC20 comp, so maybe all their gear is great at capturing realism rather than hyping the sound. If the MA2.2 is anything like that then that is my vote.
Anything Tim designs is stellar. All the Buzz gear, and he designs all of our APA and Eldred Audio gear too which I'm really proud to put my name on.
Old 4th September 2016
Lives for gear

Sytek's are good. I do not like the burr brown versions. I never heard the Buzz Audio stuff, so no help there. For what you are asking though I would say Hardy's or Millenia. The Millenia's sound so good on stringed instruments IMO. The Hardy's would probably be my preferred on vocals. The Hardy's are great on pretty much anything though, and I use them for VO work all the time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search