The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lunchbox Plunge Greatriver or A Design? 500 Series Preamps
Old 21st August 2009
Lives for gear

Lunchbox Plunge Greatriver or A Design?

It's time to add some preamp flavor to my rig. I currently run sm7b or at3035 to 737 to 160x as main vocal chain. I also have a blue babybottle and a MK319.

I hear great things about greatriver so I was going to buy the mp-2nv for a little over 2k.....
Great River MP-2NV | Sweetwater.com

As I have been following the 500 series threads I realized that two mp500s and a api lunch box with cover plates would be ruffly the same price if not a little cheaper......

Then I saw the A Designs p1 and I have also heard great reviews on it.

So do I do one and one or 2 mp500s? Would love to have a vocal comp to compliment but the UA LA-2A is on the short list.

I am taking the plunge today! Have to be sweetwater because I have a $2500 credit limit and I buy then pay off then buy then pay off then buy then pay off well you get the picture!

Hiphop, R&B, Gospel Spoken word, etc..
Old 21st August 2009
Lives for gear

Oh yeah I also bught Tony Sheppards DVD2 and the only reason why I just didnt get one of each was becuase of how he explained how "re-amping" vst synths added an analog flavor to the mix. And that's why I wanted a stereo setup.

Maybe I just answered my own question! LMAO still would like to know what you guys would do. I will be mainly doing vocals with these pres but would to experiment with them in my summing chain also.
Old 21st August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
Oh yeah I also bught Tony Sheppards DVD2 and the only reason why I just didnt get one of each was becuase of how he explained how "re-amping" vst synths added an analog flavor to the mix. And that's why I wanted a stereo setup.
I am a little partial to the A Designs sound, but the Great River stuff is wonderful as well and I would gladly make records with nothing but one or the other.

I have not seen Tony's DVD yet, but if you want to reamp a VST stereo synth, you can do that with only pre, you just need to do it in two passes. (if you are reamping and printing back into the DAW)
Old 21st August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
I am a little partial to the A Designs sound, but the Great River stuff is wonderful as well and I would gladly make records with nothing but one or the other.

I have not seen Tony's DVD yet, but if you want to reamp a VST stereo synth, you can do that with only pre, you just need to do it in two passes. (if you are reamping and printing back into the DAW)
Wow...Y didnt I think of that! Ok maybe I did lol but I sum out to the DBox and print back to the Daw on stereo track BUT! who said just like you suggested that I couldn't do both! Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else?
Old 21st August 2009
Gear Addict

Juggernaut...

i just bought the Jug and it is wicked! They have a new stereo version that is supposed to be the ****...it sure looks pretty. So many different things you can do with it...give it a whirl. Plus the dudes over at Atlas are great...support your fellow sluts.
Old 21st August 2009
Gear Addict

I can not think of a better preamp to stop using 737 than Great river, ha ha ha . and mp-500nv sounds identical to mp-2nv. I haven´t used p1 but pacifica is another fantastic preamp.
Old 21st August 2009
Lives for gear

I once had a beringer ultragain preamp and I know that the B word is bad but that pre and the mk319 was a dream sound that I havent been able to reporduce with my current gear. It was dark and beefy and even a little dirty but Man did it work for Rap Music!

Maybe I should just get another one of those and scrape the word beringer off it!
Old 21st August 2009
Lives for gear

I wasn't blown away by the P 1 in the short time I used it.
Maybe I didn't give it a good enough shot?
Great River or the Jug IMO.
Old 21st August 2009
Lives for gear

GreatRiver it is! Thx guys
Old 22nd August 2009
Lives for gear

You really can't go wrong with the Great River I don't think....
Old 22nd August 2009
Gear Guru

If you are undecided, then go for a couple 512c << who could go wrong with that decision?, but if I have to choose, GR is the true winner, P1 is good just not for me anymore.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search