The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Coverter suggestions Audio Interfaces
Old 20th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Coverter suggestions

Im looking 2 purchase a converter but I'm not 2 sure what 2 get? Any suggestions on the best possible a/d d/a converter with a price range around 3,000 (Also I'm usually only recording vocals)
Old 20th August 2009
Gear Addict

Universal audio 2192

2 chs in
2 chs out

sounds great.

there ya go
Old 20th August 2009
Depending on whether you are also mixing with outboard gear or not I would suggest the Lynx Aurora. If you aren't using (or planning on acquiring) outboard gear the Lynx Aurora8 is great. If you want to have more channels of i/o the Lynx Aurora16 is the better fit.

Both are sonically identical. The only difference is channel count. With the Aurora8 you get 8x8 analog and 8x8 AES/EBU digital up to 192kHz. With the Aurora16 you get 16x16 analog and 16x16 AES/EBU digital up to 192kHz.

You'll also need a monitor controller if you don't already have one. The SPL 2Control is a great option and won't cost you a fortune.

Feel free to get in touch if I can be of assistance. Our phone number is at the top of every page of our website.
Old 20th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Well i do have a UA 6176 preamp/compressor and also y must i need the monitor controller? also since i already have an m-audio fast track ultra interface, i would need to buy an upgrade cuz it only has spidif correct?
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
Depending on whether you are also mixing with outboard gear or not I would suggest the Lynx Aurora. If you aren't using (or planning on acquiring) outboard gear the Lynx Aurora8 is great. If you want to have more channels of i/o the Lynx Aurora16 is the better fit.

Both are sonically identical. The only difference is channel count. With the Aurora8 you get 8x8 analog and 8x8 AES/EBU digital up to 192kHz. With the Aurora16 you get 16x16 analog and 16x16 AES/EBU digital up to 192kHz.

You'll also need a monitor controller if you don't already have one. The SPL 2Control is a great option and won't cost you a fortune.

Feel free to get in touch if I can be of assistance. Our phone number is at the top of every page of our website.
Definitely the Aurora16 since you mentioned a 3k budget. It's a llittle more neutral than the Apogee stuff and it's still pro level conversion. You won't be dissapointed.
Old 20th August 2009
Gear Maniac

well wat about
Mytek
apogee
Lavry
prism
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Mix View Post
well wat about
Mytek
apogee
Lavry
prism
Scott,

virtually all of the higher end converters are very good to great, but they all have subtle difference in terms of Euphonics that will make people choose one over the other. People get really passionate about their preferences but they are all great. Its sort of like asking who is the best looking Victoria's Secret model. There will not be consensus about which one is the prettiest but none of them will be dogs.
Old 21st August 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the insight but just curious what converter do you prefer?
Old 21st August 2009
Lives for gear
pardon me, in advance

I'm feeling bitchy today...

I would suggest "t" "w" and "o" keys for your computer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search