The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Adding Depth to Virtual Drums Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

Adding Depth to Virtual Drums

Just wondering what you slutz are using to add that elusive 'depth' and '3-D' factor to your virtual drums?

I'm only processing my 2 buss through analog gear right now (Weiss converters to SSL comp and Avedis EQ); so I'm considering doing the 'Lynx Aurora 16 through a summing device' technique to add depth. My setup is Digital Performer and BFD 2.0.
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNSmoke View Post
Just wondering what you slutz are using to add that elusive 'depth' and '3-D' factor to your virtual drums?

I'm only processing my 2 buss through analog gear right now (Weiss converters to SSL comp and Avedis EQ); so I'm considering doing the 'Lynx Aurora 16 through a summing device' technique to add depth. My setup is Digital Performer and BFD 2.0.
A smart ass answer to this would be to get a real drum.
But that's not what you're asking for.

I think that the best way would be to use the ambiance or room mic samples if you have any.
Then I would compress probably a bit heavily to get some ring back into the drum cause I usually find virtual drums to sound too punchy, they lack that natural ring and "dirt".
Old 21st August 2009
play the tracks into a room and record that room.

A home made card beats Hallmark everytime.
Old 21st August 2009
Gear Nut

if you have the drum synth playing off a real-time vst in the session, have solo only the room mics and bounce it out to a file in a new track. Parallel compress that with the main drums.

Some other things Ive done with virtual drums is bouncing each drum part room response. So, you only have the snare hits while the room mic is soloed, bounce it to a track, then only play back the kicks with the room mic soloed, overheads, toms, etc. You will have 5 or 6 stereo room responses of each head only with which you can eq, pan or whatever. It can add tremendous depth if done right. I've done this for a few years in EZDrummer and the results were fantastic.
Old 21st August 2009
Led
Lives for gear

The comment about recording them through speakers is a good one. You can even sit a stereo pair just behind where your chaor would be and record them from the control room speakers. Works great with synths too.
I have a bunch of room samples I've recorded myself, as in stereo mic one end of the room, hit snare at the other. I record them anywhere anytime I find a good sounding room. I trigger these off the programmed snare. They add depth but the big plus is you can transpose them down in a virtual sampler, so you pitch them like an octave down and they sound awesome behind the programmed snare. It sounds like God playing a 2 foot deep Supraphonic.
Old 21st August 2009
Gear Maniac

bricasti m7

It works GREAT for adding depth to sampled drums. If you have a friend who has one you should try it out.
Old 22nd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoenyc View Post
play the tracks into a room and record that room.

A home made card beats Hallmark everytime.
+1

Works for me - I'll give it a go. I notice that even with a half-ass kit, the drums just sound more expressive and 3-D than any drum software. Could be the Coles stereo overhead into the LaChapell 992EG heh

I'm doing mostly 'folk rock' for lack of a better term: think 'Love "Forever Changes" album...so I'm not looking for an 'in yer face', overcompressed rock sound..
Old 22nd August 2009
Key
Gear Addict

My bathroom dual purposes as my reverb/echo chamber.

Haha hope that doesn't eff up the illusion and make people listen to see if they can hear the toilet or something.
Old 22nd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlykeys View Post
It works GREAT for adding depth to sampled drums. If you have a friend who has one you should try it out.
Bricasti M7 - Absolutely. Using it to add room ambience to Superior 2.0 and it sounds UNBELIEVABLE.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search