The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony C800g + Neve 1073 + ? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 20th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Sony C800g + Neve 1073 + ?

Quickly earned good money, want to throw my money back in to my studio. I work with RnB, Pop & Hip-Hop. I need help with mic-setup's. I am a producer and "tracking-engineer". I never mix any songs (other than the rough mix to send with the tracks as a mp3)

Audio interface is PrismSound Orpheus. DAW is Cubase 5.
Room acustics are already superb. I want to offer THE BEST.

I am thinking on buying this for my new main mic setup:

Sony C800g ---> Neve 1073 ---> Universal Audio 1176LN or LA-2A...

I already have this chain:
Neumann U87 ---> Avalon 737

To sum up;

Sony C800G mic
Neumann U87 mic
Neve 1073 preamp (the one with two channels)
Avalon 737 preamp/comp/eq
Universal Audio LA-2A or Universal Audio 1176LN

With this I can have a lot of differnt cool choices, and can mix it up, depending on the vocalist for example record the Sony thru the Neve preamp and then in the Avalon comp, or rec the Neumann thru the neve preamp etc etc etc...

Suggestions? I am not an true mic/preamp-slut and want help before going out buying.
If anybody have suggestions about my Neumann mic, I am open for selling that and get another mic as my "second" mic.
But I find the U87 to work on alot of people, so it can be good as a alternative safety mic in the studio..
Old 20th August 2009
You must have lots of clients to be able to afford chains like these, damn.
Old 20th August 2009
Looking good!
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear
While the 1176 (or spinoffs like PA MC77) is cool, have a look at the Tube-Tech CL1b for tracking comp. It's one of those pieces of gear that you just can't go wrong with IMO (I do hip-hop/r'n'b/pop as well).
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

I don't wanna sound like the party buster or anything, but like chris pointed out do you have enough customer to justify the $$ you're going to spend? Is your room treated at all? Just remember that the sony/neve/UA won't help a so-so singer to write good melodies or singing in tune. Also the tone of your room is FAR more important than any mic/pre/comp. I would pick the 737/87 ANYDAY in a treated room over a c800g and a 1073 in a non-treated one. Having that said, the gear you've listed in your post should cover almost every RnB vocals/rappers you'll come across. As for the comps 1176 and TT Cl1b should do the trick nicely. One last note, the 1073 dpa do not sound like the 1073 reissue. I've compared them extensively side by side. While the basic neve tone is definitely there, the eq circuitry is doing something nice to the sound even when disingaged.
Old 20th August 2009
Gear Addict

Have you considered the Maselec MMA-4XR mic pres? Probably the most under-stated and under-used high end mic pres around. Classic Maselec low noise and low distortion design, absolute transparency; perfect to capture the character of a high end mic.

Lists for just over GBP 2K plus taxes for four channels.
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

if your dropping that kind of dough i wouldn't suggest getting the "reissues" especially on the UA stuff. as others have said, the cl1b is worth taking a look at if you haven't.
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

I am using pretty much the same...

C800G into

either
Neve 1073DPD or SSL Superanalogue Channel

and then either
UA 1176AE or Summit Audio TLA-100A

I've used all combinations and they all sound great. Lately I tend to use the SSL into the Summit Audio a lot. Compressors never do more than 2-3 dB max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatspin View Post
Quickly earned good money, want to throw my money back in to my studio. I work with RnB, Pop & Hip-Hop. I need help with mic-setup's. I am a producer and "tracking-engineer". I never mix any songs (other than the rough mix to send with the tracks as a mp3)

Audio interface is PrismSound Orpheus. DAW is Cubase 5.
Room acustics are already superb. I want to offer THE BEST.

I am thinking on buying this for my new main mic setup:

Sony C800g ---> Neve 1073 ---> Universal Audio 1176LN or LA-2A...

I already have this chain:
Neumann U87 ---> Avalon 737

To sum up;

Sony C800G mic
Neumann U87 mic
Neve 1073 preamp (the one with two channels)
Avalon 737 preamp/comp/eq
Universal Audio LA-2A or Universal Audio 1176LN

With this I can have a lot of differnt cool choices, and can mix it up, depending on the vocalist for example record the Sony thru the Neve preamp and then in the Avalon comp, or rec the Neumann thru the neve preamp etc etc etc...

Suggestions? I am not an true mic/preamp-slut and want help before going out buying.
If anybody have suggestions about my Neumann mic, I am open for selling that and get another mic as my "second" mic.
But I find the U87 to work on alot of people, so it can be good as a alternative safety mic in the studio..
Old 20th August 2009
Gear Addict

I have used c800g into great river mp-2nv and then MC77. This audio chain sometimes sounded a little too bright.
C800g into aurora gtqc is smoother, warmer, etc.
Mc77 is a fantastic compressor and sounds amazing with neumanns for example. But not for me with c800g.
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

in several threads i have discussed my love for the c800g (i am a singer/rapper first producer second btw) with almost the same combination you're speaking of. i'd hold off on the comp. purchase if you
already have the avalon because you can always try that first and if you don't like it then buy something else. one of my favorite chains is c800g->1073->1176(black) but as many people know dr.dre records almost everyone with a chain like c800g->1073->737 comp. only. so you can't really go wrong with taking some tips from the dr. in my opinion there is no better chain than these for that type of music (in my semi-humble opinion) the only time i'd change something out is if you want a little less high-end you could use a c12 which i've also done with great results.
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

I've done a shootout of many pre's with the C800G. (1081, 1073, GR, Chandler, SSL, Thermionic culture, etc...)

For me the 'winner' was pendulum Quartet II which i kept.

Huge silky yet punchy sound that suites 90% of vocalists, great transparent compressor and limiter, and eq if you need it .

I use a soundelux 251 as my safety mic ! find it better on acoustic guitars and some vocals (its an amazing mic)
Old 20th August 2009
Gear Head

One of my favorite used chains:

C800G > Neve 1084 > Retro Sta-Level
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

Even though the Sony C800g is a great mic, you might want to look into something like the Korby Convertable. Get some different caps and be flexible for different voices.
Old 20th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Sony C800g-Neve 1073-Tube Tech CL1b is a fantastic vocal chain with the right voice and is quite frequently used in hiphop/RnB/pop productions. Sounds like you know the sound you want and you will have gear that will retain decent value.
Old 20th August 2009
Gear Addict

get a cl1b and thank me later
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

Well I use my C800G with my Neve 1084 and la2a with great result for RnB. now beware that a pre like the neve take a LOT of room in a song so if the track has a lot of harmonies you might have some serious mud clean up.
What I foud to be the best solution is to use the c800G with the neve and la2a for the one or 2 lead(s) and do all your harmonies with the Avalon which blends much better and has less presence than the neve (which in the case of harmonies is a plus).
for Hip Hop the 1176 or cl1b are great. the La2a is too slow for rappers with a lot of dynamic changes.
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
Sony C800g-Neve 1073-Tube Tech CL1b is a fantastic vocal chain with the right voice and is quite frequently used in hiphop/RnB/pop productions.
the go to chain for years
Old 21st August 2009
Lives for gear

I agree with everyone who said, Tube Tech CL1B.
Old 21st August 2009
Lives for gear

Try a SM7 (original) >1073>LA-3A>cranesong head or universal audio converter. This is a very nice chain for R&B and Hip Hop.

Have fun.
Old 21st August 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanperez2000 View Post
C800g into aurora gtqc is smoother, warmer, etc.

For a simple setup... You could go with a GTQC and have a great combo of preamp and compressor. The compressor would give you both fet and opto circuitry... so, you could get a similar vibe of an 1176 and LA2a, but with more control over the attack and release and the "Neve" sound. That would save you some serious cash over the 1073/ separate compressor combo and be at least as good.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, and you decide you are going to drop the money on the 1073, I would match it up with a Summit TLA100a based on your comments and genre, etc. An excellent compressor that is very ease to get a great sound with.
Old 22nd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiltonlittle View Post
if your dropping that kind of dough i wouldn't suggest getting the "reissues" especially on the UA stuff. as others have said, the cl1b is worth taking a look at if you haven't.
Mmmmm.. I'm not sure i'm with you on this one man. I remember the AMS reissue sounded very very close to a well mantained vintage 1073. The only thing that was noticeably different was the noise. The UA 1176 reissue IMO is the closest to the original of all the 1176 replicas. The purple mc77 is a overly hyped version. It's often too 'spitty' with bright mics (that's why a lot of ppl don't like it with the sony). Last and not least, the vintage ones are unreliable and an hassle to deal with.
Old 22nd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
I agree with everyone who said, Tube Tech CL1B.
We all know you like the Cl1B with the c800g Tony

lol, seriously. It's like the perfect compressor for that mic. Sometime i put the 1176 first to catch the peaks and the cl1b to do a couple of dbs of GR to smooth things out
Old 22nd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Sometime i put the 1176 first to catch the peaks and the cl1b to do a couple of dbs of GR to smooth things out
Ditto!
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Maniac

@ mdjice: I was kinda aware of this, but still thank you so much for a good tip! Good thing I already have the 737, so I can follow your tip and switch to the 737 for my harmonies etc.

To everybody; Thank you for many great reply's and tips, very appriciated! I am leaning very much to the C800g --> 1073 --> cl1b chain...
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

Korby 800 - Aurora GTQ - Tube Tech CL1B won my ears/heart over previous 'classic combo' Sony - 1073 - LA2A for 'around RnB style productions needs'.
Old 15th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaffulks View Post
Check out this video I just posted comparing the C800G + Neve 1073, U87 + 737 and some other classic chains on vocals: https://youtu.be/IkHijhlXoVQ
I like the c800g chain followed by the the soundelux gtq2 chain and then the 87 and Avalon chain third. thanks for the vid!
Old 15th September 2016
Great video! I wish there were more shootouts like this, no frills, just a straight ahead comparison of vocal chains. Got to love the Sony but the 87 did focus his particular voice in a very balanced way.
Old 15th September 2016
Gear Maniac
The LA2A plugin simply does NOT suit my vocals, I'm not sure if it's my vocal inflection, but the API plugin REALLY smooths out the harshness, does anyone know if the LA-2A hardware is a bad idea at that point? I've already given up the Ref C because I felt it was the common factor, and brought out the midrange I was avoiding, but I'm thinking u87ai thru avalon thru LA2A, is that a bad idea? Some of my favorite R&B albums have been cut through LA2A & I'm not afraid to admit my discomfort is with my own voice.
Old 27th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Great video! I wish there were more shootouts like this, no frills, just a straight ahead comparison of vocal chains. Got to love the Sony but the 87 did focus his particular voice in a very balanced way.
Thank you so much @ RKeefe1032 ! Yes, I agree the u87 does work well for his voice!
Old 4th December 2016
Thank you all for your nice comments on my video! Unfortunately there are GS haters that reported my post as spam so it has been removed from the thread. I have been warned that I will be banned if I post again. <smh> I'm not sure how much more relevant my video could have been to this thread. I will put a link in my personal info in case others want to check.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search