The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thoughts on the Dangerous Music DAC-ST? Digital Converters
Old 19th August 2009
Gear Head
Thoughts on the Dangerous Music DAC-ST?

Just curious to know if anyone has incorporated that into their Monitor ST?

Thoughts? I have no way to hear one until post purchase. Right now I'm old-school using an Apogee AD-8000

Cheers,

Neil
Old 19th September 2009
I'm very curious about this as well.

I'm about to invest in the Monitor ST system and was considering incorporating this into my PTs HD rig, which is based around a Rosetta 800.

I'm wondering how you would incorporate the DAC-ST in that situation? Anyone doing this already who can weigh in on the conversion and setup?

Wouldn't you effectively then be running through two DA converters simultaneously since you would need to use the apogee's AES outs to feed the DM DAC-ST?
Old 25th September 2009
Gear Head
Well - since posting this I've purchased the ST-SR, the Uniswitch and the DAC-ST.

The DAC-ST sounds excellent - that's all I have for you.

In my situation I have 8ch of AES from PT-HD feeding the DAC-ST... so 4 stereo pairs.

In my composing situation, I like having the freedom of listening to isolated stems (synth, orchestra, melody) on the fly to check balances - without disturbing the DAW during a print. The DAC-ST allows just that. It's instantaneous and works *perfectly*. PT-HD is just bussed for a master 2mix, and the isolated stems are bussed to the additional DAC-ST inputs.

So there you have it..

Oh.. also.. the uniswitch controls my gefen KVM.. so I can switch workstations (full video, mouse, KB control) on the fly from the dangerous. Could there be anything better integrated?

Also,

The guys at Dangerous are great. They were with me every step of the process and made certain that I was getting the best out of the gear... made sure it was calibrated and so on. There's nothing more comforting than when you're checking the status of an order and the reply is "I'm almost done building it". There's no disconnect between sales and the engineers - they're the same people.. and because of that, it's 'their' baby so to speak.. so they want to make sure you're happy, and I am!

I'll be ordering the 5.1 DAC when it comes

Cheers!

Neil
Old 25th September 2009
I have the DAC ST with My Monitor ST, and is a great combo!!

Not only sounds great, but the integration and workflow is much better, the Routing is just so good!

I think the Power of the ST goes further with the DAC ST, and also is so great because if you have AES in your Interface using the DAC ST help you to waste extra Analog Outs of your converter to monitor for your different ST Tracks or your Main Mix!
Just a Blessing!

and yes the Dangerous guys are great!
Old 25th September 2009
Gear Head
I was going to mention - I think you'd want to keep the rosetta for you're front end - as the DAC-ST is only output.

Honestly, my AD8000 went down and I was lent a rosetta 800... the difference was ... not really all that different? maybe slightly better bass... but slight enough not to justify dropping $3800. However, keep in mind 98% of my work is samples/playback.. so all that stuff was recorded amazing in the first place. $1k for the DAC-ST is WELL worth it.

Cheers,

Neil
Old 25th September 2009
Gear Head
It was funny, even when researching.. i was like.. "what am i going to do with a S/PDIF input on the front" .. but I was setting up someone's laptop mobile rig.. and really didn't want to get behind my racks to wire in.. so i just took a S/PDIF from his I/O into the dangerous.. and tadda!

Old 25th September 2009
Gear Addict

I have a Monitor ST with one of these as well...zero complaints...headroom for years.

-Jeremy
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

my current setup is ad/da16x with symphony card and daw...

i also have

- dangerous 2bus lt
- dangerous monitor st

my signal flow is kinda funky. out of the DA16x all 16 channels goto the dangerous 2 bus except out 1-2 which goes out to the monitor st for monitoring.

so essentially during mixing i am only utilizing 7 of 8 stereo channels on the dangerous 2bus lt. the 2bus itself has an output but i have other processing that happens after the 2bus (fastso, ssl comp) or sometimes some plug ins on the stereo mix return back into DAW.

i was thinking about getting a dedicated DA for monitoring and looked at this a while ago but to spare myself the expense i just borrowed the 2 channels from my current setup and have been able to deal with the slight limitation on the 2bus.

with me so far? good.

so now i'm at a point where i soon am considering getting an extra DA16x and big ben because i'm built up a hefty collection of outboard gear and am tired of having to burn down each effect and would prefer to run through the gear in real time without taking away channels of the summing mixer.

since i might get an extra 16 channels of conversion i would just continue to use the apogee da conversion for monitoring as it is a very high end converter. but if i opt not to go with a DA16x and keep my setup i thought about getting a dedicated converter just for monitoring. there are many options, rosetta 200, the apogee mini dac, the dangerous dac-st, lavry etc. etc.

how does the dac st stack up with the high end converters of the world??

and what would you guys recommend in my situation?
Old 28th February 2015
Lives for gear

Does the monitor ST have a DAC? how does it sound, and How can i use with something like apollo 16?
Old 28th February 2015
I love my DAC. Sounds even more transparent than my SSL converters (AX/SX). Love the spdif on the front, so I listen to all my digital sources through this dac.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search