The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lynx Aurora 16 differences???
Old 19th August 2009
Gear Addict

Lynx Aurora 16 differences???

recently i had a Aurora 16 "classic(2years old) side by side with an Aurora 18/24 (highgainversion, new)
i had the feeling the new one sounded more hifi (in a bad plastic way) or the old one sound beefier
did anyone hear the same??

is that possible?
Lynx people?

the classic aurora was connected with a LT-HD card to a ProTools HD
the new one was connected via AESEBU to the digital ins of the "classic" Aurora.
Old 19th August 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemeek View Post
recently i had a Aurora 16 "classic(2years old) side by side with an Aurora 18/24 (highgainversion, new)
i had the feeling the new one sounded more hifi (in a bad plastic way) or the old one sound beefier

is that possible?
Lynx people?

the new one was connected via AESEBU to the digital ins of the "classic" Aurora.
How have you clocked these?
Old 19th August 2009
Lives for gear

I have a regular Aurora but only purchased it recently. I have not heard the 18/24 modded units although I've sold 3 to a studio who loves them. You might want to get a hold of either Phil Moon or Mike Nikoletti over at Lynx to find out why you're hearing a difference. I understand that it's only an output modification of higher gain. Don't know why anyone would need more than what the stock ones provide, but who knows what someones needs really are. In any case, even if they are more hi-fi in a 'bad way', couldn't you just learn to mix or track to your gear? I mean we've all experience differences in converters I'm sure and we just modify things here and there to taste so that the conversion you're using at the moment is part of the mix quality is taken into account. Using good pres and mics, you still shouldn't have an issue achieving good results with converters of the quality of Lynx. Again, you just might have to learn how to work with your converters, as you would any other piece of gear, be it a set of monitors or even a preamp. Just my honest opinion.
Old 19th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemeek View Post

is that possible?
Lynx people?

Its calibrated to +4, 0VU differently. This is my suspicion. I don't know.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search