The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just tried my Spectrasonic Single-Channel Preamps
Old 31st October 2007
Lives for gear

I have a pair of 101-based SS preamps (with Triad and UTC trannies) that a guy named Mike McHugh racked up ("McHugh Military). Great sounding preamps, just not a ton of gain so they just won't drive some mics (like ribbons or an SM7) as well as others. I also have a pair of Model 1100 6x1 rack-mounted mixers and the stereo graphic EQ. Cool stuff. I'd like to try the inductor EQs, too.
Old 31st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdeerberg View Post
I got lucky and bought it for $1500.00 I have never seen any on the used market to know what they go for, but I'd guess a whole lot more. I believe this console in the late 70's brought close to 50,000.00

The engineer specs for the 502 eq in the manual states:

The microphone/program equalizer shall be of the miniature type, with the physical housing dimensions of not more than 1 1/2" x 7 1/4" x 2 3/4", for console control panel mounting purposes. It shall be a feedback element that, when used in conjunction with the Spectra Sonics model 101 or 110 amplifier shall have a zero insertion loss, and shall be capable of electronically providing graphic type equalizer curves at low frequencies of 50, 100, 200, 300, and 400 HZ with a separate (on-off) insertion switch; mid frequencies of 500, 800, 1.2k, 1.6k, and 2k HZ, with insertion switch; high frequencies of 2.5k, 3.5k, 5k, 7.5k, and 10k HZ, with insertion switch. It shall possess 3 independent frequency controls, 1 for the 5 low frequencies, 1 for the 5 mid frequencies, and 1 for the 5 high frequencies, and shall provide 12db of boost or cut, in selectable increments of 2db, for each of the 15 frequencies. In actual application there shall be no transient, pops, clicks, etc. and distortion shall be less than 1/100th of 1% measurement residual under any condition of boost or cut.
Would you happen to have a schematic for the 502 EQs ?
Id send beer .thumbsup
Old 31st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asndy82 View Post
Does anyone know where I can find spectrasonics consoles, racked mic pres like the 101? I know these are rare beast but where would one start looking?

There are several people who are constantly selling 101 cards on ebay. I picked up
a pair for $36 USD plus shipping. I put a Hammond 850G 600:600 transformer
before each and am running with the straight unbalanced output for mic pres.
They only put out 50dB of amplification max, but mine have a VERY smooth and
creamy midrange. Unfortunately, I can only use them with condedsor mics due to
the amplification limit.
Old 2nd November 2007
Lives for gear

that is such an insanely good deal! do they have another one?
Old 2nd November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman View Post
that is such an insanely good deal! do they have another one?
Just keep searching for Spectra Sonics on Ebay. They turn up regularly.
Old 2nd November 2007
Lives for gear

heh... I meant for gregdeerberg who paid 1500 for a whole console... but you got a good deal too.
Old 12th April 2008
Gear Maniac

Yes they had another, and I just got it! This time its a 1026-26. It's a 26 channel console. I got it along with 2 vintage 610's. Will post pics shortly.
Old 12th April 2008
Gear Maniac

The 1026
Attached Thumbnails
Just tried my Spectrasonic-1026.jpg  
Old 12th April 2008
Gear Maniac

50 channels worth of Spectra Sonics pres and eq!
Attached Thumbnails
Just tried my Spectrasonic-50channels.jpg  
Old 12th April 2008
Gear Maniac

The 26 channel on the left came with a nice and very big producers desk. It has a tape counter in the middle of it. The producers desk you see between the 2 console belongs to the 1024b on the right.
Old 14th April 2008
Lives for gear

.... I hate you.
Old 14th April 2008
Gear Maniac

LOL!
Old 14th April 2008
Gear Maniac

Believe me I was very shocked when they called me up and offered it to me. It did make my day though.
Old 14th April 2008
Lives for gear

Thats so rad man. Congratulations. thats one killer setup you got!
Old 19th April 2008
Gear Maniac

Heres what the inside of the input module looks like
Attached Thumbnails
Just tried my Spectrasonic-sschannel.jpg  
Old 19th April 2008
Gear Maniac

This is a bigger pic if you click on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Just tried my Spectrasonic-sschannel.jpg  
Old 2nd August 2011
Lives for gear

Reviving a thread that was started when dinosaurs walked the earth. Has anyone else round here hard much experience with Spectra Sonics consoles, preamps, EQ's etc?
I recently racked up a pair of 110 preamps with Triad A67-J input transformers and Jensen JE-123-A output transformers. I have to say that I am really liking the sound of these at the moment. They do have a 70's iron sound. Warm and fat. Less sparkly top-end than many preamps (probably at least partly due to the Triads I would suspect). Great for ballsy electric guitar. Pretty good, but not my first choice for acoustic guitar where I like a more tinkley top end.
Old 3rd August 2011
I've got 110 and 101 preamps. As well as pairs of 500, 501, and 502 eq's. Some of my favourite gear of all time. I think the vintage vibe comes from the fact that Spectra Sonics gear is slow and round in the low end, but quite fast and articulate in the highs and mids.
Old 3rd August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksure View Post
Less sparkly top-end than many preamps (probably at least partly due to the Triads I would suspect). Great for ballsy electric guitar. Pretty good, but not my first choice for acoustic guitar where I like a more tinkley top end.
Strange. I find that my SS gear is perfect in the highs and does the sparkle thing pretty well. Alot more than API's from the same era IMHO.
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip S Bova View Post
Strange. I find that my SS gear is perfect in the highs and does the sparkle thing pretty well. Alot more than API's from the same era IMHO.
A little bit less sparkly than my Valley People Trans-amps from the same preiod. I am not saying they are dull, but for my acoustic guitar recording, The VP's sparkle a wee bit more- which I like. For electric guitar the 110's sound better than the VP's though. My 70's Ward Beck 470 gives a tad bit more high mid-range presence than either of them. We are talking guitars here. Haven't done enough comparisons as to how they would all respond on drums though. Could be quite different.
The Spectra Sonics 110's do sound great though, and I would be happy to use them on anything. Triad A67-J transformers roll off heavily above 13 k which may be why I hear them as I do. Mine also have old Jensens on outputs. Not sure how that affects the sound. All up I am very happy to have taken the effort to rack them. They are going to see a heap of use.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search