The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Aurora GTQ2 Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 2nd September 2005
Lives for gear

Aurora GTQ2

hi there,

i havent heard of the Aurora GTQ2 before.......any comments on this piece of gear, does it hold up against the original 1073'S

cheers
Old 2nd September 2005
Gear Guru

I got one for a fellow slut just two weeks ago. The first thing I did was play some CDs through ad listen. With the gain at unity and the EQ out it still added weight to the signal. The EQ is quite cool. You can really thicken the lows; there are three mid frequencies, 400Hz, 1.6KHz and 3.2Khz. They seem like good choices... The high is at 12K and is wonderful. I put up a reel and messed with a few things. Snare kills with this EQ. I did a mix for a client in Germany and used the GTQ2 for SD EQ and it’s present and bright, but not harsh.

I've been tracking some lead vocals lately. My U87 freaked out, so I've been using an AT4047 (I like think vocals). At first it almost sounded too thick. I engaged the HPF and the thing just sounds great.

I don't have any experience with a 1073 as an engineer. As player years ago, but not as an engineer. I can't comment on the sonic relationship.
Old 2nd September 2005
Lives for gear

I love mine.

I could go on and on about the thing but instead I'll tell you i just want more of 'em.
Old 2nd September 2005

One of my favorite mic pre's..... The EQ is actually a design from an old Neve/EMI console. It really sounds incredible. Sound-wise, it compares very favorably to the 1073/1084's, etc... When I first got mine, I put it up next to a pair of 1066's and was very impressed with how it had the same character as the Neve modules. The very top end was a slight more open, same round bottom end and color though. So, to answer your question.... Yes, it holds up well against the original 1073's. Although, it's not meant to be a clone....
Old 2nd September 2005
Lives for gear

compared to the chandler stuff?
Old 2nd September 2005
Lives for gear

I've only used the TG2 a few times, so from memory, it has a similar sound to GTQ2 but with maybe with a little more distortion/coloration. The high end on the GTQ2 seems cleaner, plus you've got an EQ that will give you a bunch of different sounds. I think the phase switch (or maybe impedance) on the TG2 is another $100.

I'm a huge fan of the GTQ2. thumbsup Lucey hipped me to it. thanks man.
Old 3rd September 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi
compared to the chandler stuff?
Are you referring to the LTD-1 preamp? If so, you get twice as many channels for a couple hundred bucks more with the Aurora.....
Old 3rd September 2005
Gear Guru

GTQ II thumbsup here..
Old 3rd September 2005
Gear Addict

Hello,

I've had a pair of Averill racked original Neve 1073's for about 18 months now and use them all over the place. Now Geoff just sent me the Aurora GTQ2 Mk3 2 weeks ago. Here are some things I like:

- First off, Pre gain goes all the way down to like +10 so there's no need for a pad EVER.

-Build quality. You take it out of the box and hold it in your hands and it weighs a good 15+ pounds. Switches are very nice and durable. Gain adjustments firm but not stiff. Good feel to the EQ.

-EQ. I've been using my 1073's on everything since I got them - tracking and mix. 90% of the time when I'm using the EQ I'm either boosting Mids - 1.6K on the Aurora, High Mids - 3.2k on the Aurora or getting rid of mud by attenuating the low mids - 400 on the Aurora. The high shelf is fixed at 12k just like a 1073. The HPF is just right too although sometimes when I run guitars through the Neve's I HP up to 110. Like I said any setting I would use in 90% of the situations I run into with my Neve's I can duplicate using the Aurora. The Aurora goes one further by having center detents on the high band, a must for peace of mind when recalling a mix..."is that zero'ed out or not....I think it's too dull, wait now it sounds like it's boosting....damn it!!!!"

-Impendence switching for ribbons.

-PRE...I haven't used it too much in tracking, but my initial opinion would be consistent with the majority claiming it to be very close in character to a 1073 with a bit more openess. I also like that it has an output attenuator which is essential for driving the pre a bit, yet still getting a signal to the DAW that isn't gang busters.

All in all when looking for pre's I used to want all the names...Telefunken, API, Neve, etc. Then when I spent assloads of cash to get them (or get them working in the case of the Telefunken's) I finally realize that the new batch of designers out there are just as good as the old dinosaur standby's. I believe people like Geoff at Aurora, Oliver at TABFunkenwerk and DW Fearn at, well, DW Fearn are making the best of the old designs while updating them and making their own footprint. Trust me, having spent thousands and thousands of dollars getting "vintage" equipment in working order, it no question anymore when it comes to gear purchases. A small part might be because I have a few pairs of originals already, but for the money and the immeasurable amount of peace of mind a warranty offers, it's just not a question anymore.

Bottomline: I think most people thinking about the Aurora either have Neve's or can't afford them which is a shame, because for the same price a pair of 1073's go for you could have 4 channels of Aurora(and money left over) and never regret a dime of what you spent.

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
Old 3rd September 2005
Lives for gear

Good post, Bobby!
Old 3rd September 2005
Lives for gear

I don't own a GTQ2, auroraaudio.net is a wealth of information, thanks Geoff!!
Old 3rd September 2005
Lives for gear

thank you guys so much for your posts so far
Old 3rd September 2005
Lives for gear

Very versatile and sounds great. Previous posters have covered most of it above. Id add that its also great for bass through the DI (10 megaohm resistance) especially with the EQ. Very nice sounding unit.
Old 12th September 2005
Gear Maniac

Pimp?

Tony, I respect your opinion, but I think you should represent that you now deal (pimp) the Geoff Tanner Aurora, and API, etc...
Old 12th September 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSpace
Tony, I respect your opinion, but I think you should represent that you now deal (pimp) the Geoff Tanner Aurora, and API, etc...
You saw the site already? Cool...

I'm not "officially" a dealer for anything quite yet, I'm still a couple weeks away from all that, as it says on the home page. Anyway, I will sell every other brand, too... I started putting up my little site today, and naturally the A's came first(it's alphabetical order)...

I'm not so much of a pimp, but a consultant. Yes, you will be able to buy gear from me, but I mainly deal with entire studio packages.. I am a big fan of Aurora and API and that's why I recommend their products to my clients, not because I'm in cahoots with any of them. I will be a dealer for all of the major brands of Pro Audio once the company actually gets off the ground a little before AES time. But, rest assured, I will still have the same opinions of gear that I always have had and won't be pimping. Just look at my posts for the past 6 months and you can easily see I have always been a GTQ fan... I actually own one and am just giving my opinion on it. Even if I could never be a dealer for it, I would still be able to tell you all about it... I literally am looking at mine right now.
Old 12th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
When I first got mine, I put it up next to a pair of 1066's and was very impressed with how it had the same character as the Neve modules. The very top end was a slight more open...

1066 uses 10k on top
GTQ uses 12k on top

this would make the GTQ sound more open as you say, not to be a pain in the arse!!!
Old 12th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
You saw the site already? Cool...

I'm not "officially" a dealer for anything quite yet, I'm still a couple weeks away from all that, as it says on the home page. Anyway, I will sell every other brand, too... I started putting up my little site today, and naturally the A's came first(it's alphabetical order)...

I'm not so much of a pimp, but a consultant. Yes, you will be able to buy gear from me, but I mainly deal with entire studio packages.. I am a big fan of Aurora and API and that's why I recommend their products to my clients, not because I'm in cahoots with any of them. I will be a dealer for all of the major brands of Pro Audio once the company actually gets off the ground a little before AES time. But, rest assured, I will still have the same opinions of gear that I always have had and won't be pimping. Just look at my posts for the past 6 months and you can easily see I have always been a GTQ fan... I actually own one and am just giving my opinion on it. Even if I could never be a dealer for it, I would still be able to tell you all about it... I literally am looking at mine right now.
Tony,on your web site you list the 512c as Class A, it is not, you might want to correct that.
Old 12th September 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioez
1066 uses 10k on top
GTQ uses 12k on top

this would make the GTQ sound more open as you say, not to be a pain in the arse!!!

I think he means the pre alone compred to a Neve..no EQ engaged.
I have a GTQ,and I think it's safe to say its a bit brighter sounding pre...still smooth like a 10XX though.The EQ is not a 10 series..very sweet though.
I,ve been running varoius rock stereo guitar stems through it lately, occasionally Hi passing and/or with bits of EQ on the way to a summing box.works well. thumbsup
Old 12th September 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioez
1066 uses 10k on top
GTQ uses 12k on top

I was referring to the mic pre being more open, not the EQ..
Old 12th September 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio
Tony,on your web site you list the 512c as Class A, it is not, you might want to correct that.
****, you're right! I just put a generic phrase next to the name API as a subheading. I'll fix it.. I still have a lot of work to do. But, I wanted to get the site live for today... Keep checking the site over the next couple weeks, it will be very cool.
Old 12th September 2005
Gear Addict

Another EXTREMELY happy Aurora Audio GTQ2 Mark III owner here. I call it my "Make Everything Sound Better" box... marvelous pre, makes every mic sound in Technicolor; the DI kills, especially on bass. Regularly I'll just send a submix through it for some serious gooey-fication (that's a technical term) and maybe some basic EQing here or there.

I had the privilege of picking mine up in Geoff's shop around the corner in Hollywood, and it was like being in a different era: a messy working studio, a handful of spotless handmade units of impeccable quality, burned in and tested by the designer and founder of the company and then handed over directly, with a hand-written low-3-digits serial No. inside. And how nice to know that if the thing ever goes down, I can call and walk in and the Man himself is going to fix 'er up for me...

Just a wonderful piece of equipment.
Old 12th September 2005
Gear Guru

I had a workshop at my joint this weekend. We tried a lot of combinations and got to hear the Aurora with a few different sources and mics. The one that really blew me away was a Soundelux E47 on a Mesa SC2. I used a bit of high shelf and a bit of mid boost and it got even better!
Old 13th September 2005
Lives for gear

I got mine last week and finally listened to some mics that were not in use, an AEA 84 and my spare KM84i, which I thought would be good choices because they have been known to sometimes be quite unflattering, as well as sometimes being VERY flattering to a source.

Well, BLOW ME DOWN. 80dB of gain is EXCELLENT for the AEA. I did not even plop the impedance switch over, I thought vocals sounded so sexy with a little HF boost for the airy top end.

I like the three choices for the mid EQ, but I wish the HF and LF also has options. After that, I think for the money this is a KILLER option in the world of 'what do I do for a 1073 preamp without tech/maintenance concerns.

I look forward to using it on kick and snare in addition to vox and guitar but have also booked the pre to go do an M-S recording of a live event next week. I think this is going to be an excellent go-to mic preamp in my collection. The build quality is great, and you can get Geoff on the phone (I called to say, where the f*$k is the serial #, and he said, look thru the vents, it's there.) I TRUST this man to know how to build a good unit, select a good tranny, and tweak the device. His signature on it makes me sleep well at night. Like anyone who is good at their trade, he instills confidence in his clientele. The PAR sales rep was nice if not very knowledgeable about the piece, but they followed thru with quick shipping, accurate billing and good packaging, though I have had ENOUGH of f*%kin' styrofoam peanuts all over my carpets. heh

Honestly, I wish I could have bought from Mercenary or Nathan as I like my relationships with people who are knowledgeable and put themselves behind their products without a 20% restocking fee, but I still think it's a good piece of gear.

Oh: quoted price is now 2795, listed higher on the website I believe. I expect it will keep going up!

JvB
Old 13th September 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen

The PAR sales rep was nice if not very knowledgeable about the piece, but they followed thru with quick shipping, accurate billing and good packaging, though I have had ENOUGH of f*%kin' styrofoam peanuts all over my carpets. heh
JvB
I got mine direct from Geoff with fitted foam inside the box. Nice thick cardboard. Almost as good as Manley packaging, which to me is the Holy Grail of gear packaging.

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
Old 13th September 2005
Lives for gear

How does it compare to a Chandler TG channel?
Old 14th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen
, and you can get Geoff on the phone
anyone have a solid number?
Then one on the website didn't work.

thanks
Sean
Old 14th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King
anyone have a solid number?
Then one on the website didn't work.

thanks
Sean
Hi Sean

To be honest, I prefer contact via email.... Geoff at auroraaudio.net (anti-spam measure in that!)

I would often get phone calls about vintage Neve problems/upgrades/etc. that could go on for the best part of an hour and then they'd ring off and I'd not hear from them again. Plus all the darn telesales types...

So I switched the darn thing off! What I have tried to do is, if folk have a Neve problem, I'm happy to offer free advice on my Ask Geoff page on the web site, and there's hundreds of topics up there to search through with all the usual stuff about making 1272's or 3415's into mic pre's, etc. I just don't like giving free advice on the phone when I'm in the middle of some other important task.

If you really prefer to speak with me, email me and I'll give you several other numbers you can reach me on, but I don't want to post them here or I'll get questions about Neve's on those phones!

Old 14th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T
Hi Sean

To be honest, I prefer contact via email.... Geoff at auroraaudio.net (anti-spam measure in that!)

I would often get phone calls about vintage Neve problems/upgrades/etc. that could go on for the best part of an hour and then they'd ring off and I'd not hear from them again. Plus all the darn telesales types...

So I switched the darn thing off! What I have tried to do is, if folk have a Neve problem, I'm happy to offer free advice on my Ask Geoff page on the web site, and there's hundreds of topics up there to search through with all the usual stuff about making 1272's or 3415's into mic pre's, etc. I just don't like giving free advice on the phone when I'm in the middle of some other important task.

If you really prefer to speak with me, email me and I'll give you several other numbers you can reach me on, but I don't want to post them here or I'll get questions about Neve's on those phones!

Understood.

An email is on the way.

thanks,
Sean
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Maniac

just got mine. lovely looking, heavy box. some minor build issues with the pots scuffing the face of the unit, but i can live with that now that i've heard it!

so far i've only tracked vocals and DI guitar/bass, but me likey mucho mucho. if you crank the input gain to distortion point, it's that pleasant distortion that doesn't scratch out your eardrums. it seems to sit tightly in its own sonic space. my precision bass just sounds incredible, especially when you start playing with the EQ. warm and defined without a hint of flabbiness. mid freq choices are excellent and the high end shelf is really lovely and sparkly. can't wait to use it on overheads!!!.

i really want to send submixes back through it from my fireface800... do i need a reamper/attenuator or can i go straight in to the instrument inputs?
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisyneil View Post
just got mine. lovely looking, heavy box. some minor build issues with the pots scuffing the face of the unit, but i can live with that now that i've heard it!

so far i've only tracked vocals and DI guitar/bass, but me likey mucho mucho. if you crank the input gain to distortion point, it's that pleasant distortion that doesn't scratch out your eardrums. it seems to sit tightly in its own sonic space. my precision bass just sounds incredible, especially when you start playing with the EQ. warm and defined without a hint of flabbiness. mid freq choices are excellent and the high end shelf is really lovely and sparkly. can't wait to use it on overheads!!!.

i really want to send submixes back through it from my fireface800... do i need a reamper/attenuator or can i go straight in to the instrument inputs?
Hi

No, you don't need reampers or any such gadget. Just crank the input gain knob fully counter-clockwise and away you go. The XLR inputs have gobs of headroom.

The DI inputs work with high levels also but I would not recommend using an unbalanced input amp on a balanced output signal... in case the balance output stage has issues driving ground on one side. Always best to go with the floating transformer input in cases like this.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search