The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Aurora GTQ2 Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 7th August 2012
Here for the gear
It was hard not to be upset, but we were more disappointed. The Seller was very apologetic and accommodating and even credited my purchase with his own money b/c UPS doesn't immediately reimburse you. Depending on if he's able to get the unit fixed up and it goes back on the market, I might try to buy it again at a discount, but even still the new ones are not that expensive and I might as well invest to upgrade all my pres to GTP 8.
Can any one Direct me to anyone Using a fairly completed/expanded Ivar Street console? Before I got the GTQ-2 I was really looking into a good summing/mixer/console and I'm curious if anyone is successfully utilizing GTs system
Old 7th August 2012
Lives for gear

Hi

Email me and I will give you email addresses of users you could ask.

Posted from my iPhone
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

Just another user's opinion here. We are selling a lot of gear right now to make sure we are covered to put out our album in case our Kickstarter doesn't get funded. On the front end, the only things we are really set on keeping is an Aurora gtq2 and some classic api channels

Not only do Geoff's modules sound amazing, but also the service both by Geoff and those who work at Aurora Audio are top notch as well.
Old 17th October 2012
got my aurora GTQ2 today!
that is so far the most impressive preamp i have ever used!
i recorded a lot with API512c, chandler TG2 and Universal Audio preamps during the last years but the GTQ2 is another league!
so far i only used the DI input with a Bassguitar boosting the EQ a little bit,...really really awesome!

compared to the Universal Audio LA610 that i used the last days for recording Bass i have to say that the difference is like night and day!
Old 18th October 2012
btw. can someone tell me what impedance of the GTQ2 should work best for tracking guitar with an SM57 for example, or SM7 or C414?

thanks

cheers
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tape_attack!!! View Post
btw. can someone tell me what impedance of the GTQ2 should work best for tracking guitar with an SM57 for example, or SM7 or C414?

thanks

cheers
Did the GTQ2 come with a manual? If so, it wont hurt to read it!

1200 ohms is the general purpose setting; the 300 ohms setting is intended for use with low impedance (usually ribbon) microphones.
Old 19th October 2012
there was no manual included but meanwhile i downloaded it from the aurora website.thanks a lot.
Old 19th October 2012
Gear Head

You'll more than likely use the 1200 ohm setting with most mics. I prefer the 1200 ohm setting with most ribbon mics, as well.
I met Geoff Tanner in '95 when he was working on Pete Townsend's old Neve. He's a great guy and makes incredible gear.
I own several "Neve" mic pres and started my career at a studio with an extensive collection of Neve outboard and two Neve consoles. I wouldn't say the GTQ2 is a 1073 but it's certainly in the same family. I find the Aurora to be a great choice for almost any sound source where the 1073 can sometimes be a second choice. When I travel for sessions I take a GTQ2 with me, even if the studio has 1073 modules or a 80 series console. They are different. Not better, really, but different.
Old 19th October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckordist View Post
You'll more than likely use the 1200 ohm setting with most mics. I prefer the 1200 ohm setting with most ribbon mics, as well.
I met Geoff Tanner in '95 when he was working on Pete Townsend's old Neve. He's a great guy and makes incredible gear.
I agree... I've had mine set at 1200 for the last decade. The 300 setting was really for just some very specific old ribbon mics. 1200 sounds best to me, but people are welcome to experiment.
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

Hi

There's a review of the GTQ2 in the Spanish pro audio hispasonic forums....

Review del Aurora audio GTQ2 | Hispasonic.

If you don't speak good Spanish (like me!) you can view it in Goggle Chrome and it will very approximately translate it...

Old 21st October 2012
i already asked that in another thread but it wasnt clear if that will work,...!

i would like to know if i can use the GTQ2 on the Stereo Out of my dangerous d-box after summing?
just to beef up the track and put some shimmer on it with the EQ.
Old 21st October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
i already asked that in another thread but it wasnt clear if that will work,...!

i would like to know if i can use the GTQ2 on the Stereo Out of my dangerous d-box after summing?
just to beef up the track and put some shimmer on it with the EQ.
We did answer your question. You can do it if you like. You would have to attenuate the line level signal(mix buss fader) and properly gain stage into the GTQ2. You will be reamping.
Old 22nd October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
The GTQ2 has a unity gain setting (line level in). I use it occasionally on the main buss insert of my console. So.... yes.
Old 22nd October 2012
Gear Head

I use the GTQ2 across my 2 buss, sometimes after a compressor. It is exceptional in this capacity. The EQ is very well suited for task. The 400Hz mid range is my personal favorite. And a db or two of 12k or 80Hz can go a long way to pulling a mix together. It's on my short list of things to use on the 2 buss depending on what's needed.
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

If you like the EQ on the GTQ2, you'll really love the GTP8/GT4-8 combo...

But, I actually have a question. When I record bass I usually take it direct then reamp later. However, I'm setting up a mobile rig and I anticipate using it (soon) to record a bass rig at the bass player's house. I was thinking of using the Q2 for DI, but I don't want to send a post AD/DA version out to the amp.

I have a reamp box made for a balanced line level signal, but the Q2's 1/4 inch line level outputs are unbalanced. All of my converter inputs are balanced....

Any quick and easy solutions that wont require using the AD/DA'd signal?
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Hi

I don't know much about converters but, if a differential input, can't you wire unbalanced hot to pin 2 of the converter and ground/shield to pin 3, leaving pin 1 not connected?

Alternatively, can't you split the balanced signal to two devices? I'm sure the transformer won't mind!

Just a thought or two

Posted from my iPhone
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

:o) Doh!

I do often split signals (post preamp) at the patch bay (and the transformers always seem fine with the idea), but I'll have no patch bay along for this sort of application, so it didn't occur to me to simply Y it! (and plug one into the converter and the other into my reamp device feeding the bass amp)

I tell you Geoff - my GTP8 number 2 talks to me every day. It says "I have empty spots in my soul that only a GT4-8 can fill...."
Old 3rd December 2013
Gear Head

You can find lots of details (both in English or German) on ALL Aurora gear here:

dBmusic

Specs, hints & tips, personal experiencesb history.
You can also order to test the stuff (within EU)
Check it out.
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

I did finally listen to what my GTP8 was saying; about a year ago I became the proud owner of my second GT4-8.

it all started with one amazing device - the GTQ2.
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

Today I did a voiceover session, doing pickups for a project we cut about a month ago. It was last minute, and I was in too big a hurry to check my logbook or pull the original VO out of the archive. I assumed I would have used my incredibly transparent Buzz MA-2.2tx on the first session, so that's what I set up. After the session, upon listening to the old file, the character of the GTQC was absolutely slap-in-the-face unmistakable. The Buzz file sounded great, but it's gonna be interesting trying to simulate that Aurora je-ne-sais-quois to get them to match.

Aurora just makes killer stuff.
Old 26th October 2014
Lives for gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRYsXEciYeY

1:07

what version off GTQ2 is this, foo fighters are using?
Old 26th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post

Try to ask Geoff.. you'll get the correct info.. FF recorded an album (the colour and the shape) at Grandmaster in Hollywood, which is the home for Aurora..

Cheu
Old 4th November 2014
Lives for gear

I had my hands on the first GTQ2 back in 2003 or 2004, and was so impressed I wrote the first review of the unit which appeared in Tape Op. Still think it's one of the best pre's out there. It has the low-end chunk and midrange opulence of a classic Neve, with more silk and air on the top. Even the DI is incredible. Now you can get a one channel version...the Stinger!
Old 4th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post

Hi

When I clicked on your link it said it would not play in this country... do you have another link with the name of a song or similar I can search?

Anyway, Dave has recorded an album at Grandmaster where we have several channels of GTQ2 racked and he was impressed and bought some for his personal use... I don't recall how many... but I am pretty certain they would be GTQ2 Mark III's

Old 5th November 2014
Lives for gear

Doug mckean also raves about it on lv i gotta demo one as soon as the studio is ready
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

not much to add - just it's a kickass pre and wonderful tracking EQ - love it - will buy more :D

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search