The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How Many Are Still Using Mixing Consoles?
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

How Many Are Still Using Mixing Consoles?

Since I'm rebuilding my studio from the ground up, I was wondering how many members of the Gearslutz forum are still using mixing consoles, analog mixers, vs. ITB?

Also, for those who don't have the room and/or the budget, how many are using Summing boxes to get that analog sound?

SEA
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

Why spend more money for a box that emulates 4% of what a real console does?
Is 4'x3' of space worth struggling to get good mixes?
Time = money. Consoles are faster & yes console recalls are fast unless youre really incompetent & lazy.
Make it easier & cheaper on yourself...... get a console & have fun mixing & tracking.
Consoles prices are way down now!
I've NEVER regretted having a console and am NEVER jealous of people who mix ITB.

#1 reason = You'll always have ITB anyways.
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

Amek Angela here...
Old 14th August 2009
Gear Guru

Consoles. 3 total. I'll ALWAYS have a console. Use them mostly during tracking and overdubs. Mostly mix ITB or Hybrid.
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

Currently running a Ghost into a SSL X-Rack. Next year
looking into getting either an SSL AWS or more likely an Audient. I personally think the console is very important and mixing in the a analogue domain is where the magic is.

All my API EQs, Manley MP, 1176, Buzz Potion, ISA220's, C2 etc etc are patched in on mixdown.
Old 14th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Console. I don't own a box so I really can't mix in one . . .
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

I have a console now, but have worked extensively with summing boxes and ITB. Neither of the other options gave me what I was looking for. The console does (API 1608). Everybody has different working methods, so everyone will get different results, but I absolutely despise having to mix ITB nowadays, and I've never met a summing box that impressed me enough to be worth the money.
Old 14th August 2009
SSL console for somethings. ITB/hybrid for the others.

Never cared for the summing boxes i tried.
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

Analog mixer here. D&R Triton. Most of the processing I do it OTB, but since I mix off of Pro Tools, I still get to use any ITB processing or automation I want.

Summing boxes open up some options, but you do not get analog EQs, and line amps, monitoring......
Old 14th August 2009
Gear Addict
A couple of mixing jobs coming with console again (can't wait!). Lately used summing mixers which I find a tad more 'analogue' than ITB but not as much I would want to buy one. In a long term I can see myself buying a console. Need to make the money first
Old 14th August 2009
Here for the gear

I'm using the Euphonix MCcontrol and mix... there's something special about moving a real physical object... I mainly use great mics with great pres and do the rest ITB.
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

I hate mixing ITB so much that I simply don´t do it.
Old 14th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Don't know how to mix mix with a mouse...
Old 14th August 2009
Pat
Gear Addict

I was wondering how many members of the Gearslutz forum are still mixing ITB????
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoshay View Post
Why spend more money for a box that emulates 4% of what a real console does?
Could you be more specific on the 4% part (besides turning knobs, moving faders, etc?)
Old 14th August 2009
Gear Maniac

tracking, overdubbing, mixing every day on a Quad Eight Coronado. I use pro tools for automation, editing, and random duplicates of tracks for effect or for plugins when I've used up all my outboard.
Old 14th August 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcamlet View Post
Amek Angela here...
+1 here.
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

I have a (Mackie,32x8) console but I only use it for monitoring, talkback and midi instruments. I mix ITB.

Bryant - Hames Music
Old 14th August 2009
Gear Addict

I have 3 consoles too. They're all broken! If I had a tech I could afford, maybe. They're hot, unreliable and quirky. Like women! If I could afford either, or both, like in the old days. Now I just have my mouse in my hand...
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

Mixing every day for the past 4 years ITB...never looked back! I do use the occasionally piece of outboard too though

-Brian
Old 14th August 2009
Moving away from totally ITB to hybrid approach. I send 1-16 outs from Lynx into Soundtracs console, mix there, and then out to 2-bus for any EQ or Comp, then back into box for any final touches.

I recently acquired an 8-track Otrai and am going to also try tracking to tape, mix in console, and then run separate tracks back into Lynx/DAW.

Many options and fun stuff to experiment with. Still want to be able to edit in DAW and use UAD plugs ITB as desired.
Old 14th August 2009
Gear Addict

IL4832,
I am too old to go ITB... or not old enough but that one will made of pine.

Oli
Old 14th August 2009
Gear Guru

Console here. But I don't have a choice, I don't have a daw.
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

Bought mine quite recently. Now there's only 86277 slutz left to answer.
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

Modded Soundcraft Sapphyre here. I went in the box for a couple of years but missed a console too much.
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

+1 for console but I only use it as a line mixer as I have outboard mic pres and eq. I don't think the console will ever go away completely because its just so much faster to push a fader up or down, turn a knob, and hear immediate results. Having a dedicated fader for each channel in front of you also allows you to visualize a mix in a way that's hard to do when looking at a computer screen. Most of the time console mixed stuff also sounds better to me too (but I know that depends on a lot of other factors as well).

I do wish that there were more consoles with 24 FADERS (not little knobs), pan on each channel, 2-3 aux sends, ability to submix 1-2 groups (mostly to submix backing vocals), but NO mic pre's or eq.

J. Mike Perkins
Old 14th August 2009
After 20+ years of working on consoles, I just got another console, with a lot more automation
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

I use an Icon - Does that count?
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

SSL AWS 900 here.
Depending on the project, mixing only on the console, hybrid or ITB with the AWS as superb controller.
Freedom of choice!
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

I ditched my DAW in favor of a tape deck and console. I'm using a Jim Williams modified Soundcraft Delta 200. It's fun and so much less of a hassle!

Brad

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search