The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How Many Are Still Using Mixing Consoles?
Old 15th August 2009
Lives for gear

4k here.

What do you want to do?
Old 15th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
I ditched my DAW in favor of a tape deck and console. I'm using a Jim Williams modified Soundcraft Delta 200. It's fun and so much less of a hassle!

Brad
A PURIST!!!

Love it!
Old 16th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 View Post
in my personal room i have a yamaha pm2k and a few discrete summing box thingys. i mainly work in radar these days...really wanted some faders in front of me.

i also mix as much as i can on a trident a-range, ssl 4056, api legacy, and a trident 80b.

cheers,

jchristopherhughes
me too - pm2k, and I'm saving up for radar. Currently using an MX2424 and digi 001 for editing.

Gilli
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Another one here, Sound Workshop Series 34.

However hybrid with PT Mix24, outboard and multiple tape formats.
Old 16th August 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Eventually this thread will have a spin off...the almighty owners of the LFAC thread. Where we really get to see who has the biggest...around here!!
hehhehheh

The problem with that is that just when you show how big yours is, there's always someone with a bigger one.

Ahhh, screw it......

My main unit has 120 inputs, with 48 under automation control. BUT with my sidecars I can up that to over 200 inputs.......

Bring it on slutz!!!!!

stike stike
Old 16th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Console here. Soundcraft TS-24 modded by Jim Williams. I love it!
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Icon user now after 22 years on consoles.... if you really learn the Icon it's pretty hard to go back to a console and I still keep one sitting next to the Icon just in case! mostly switched off

cheers
SP
Old 16th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Toft atb 24 here mods on the mic pres/eqs/master section by Jim Williams just got it back from him two days ago...Just posted a tune on his thread...check it out if youd like...

later
chris
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

grew up on big SSL's and Neve's. Went in the box for a while, maybe 3 years, then to summing boxes for 2 years then, thankfully, back to a console. SSL AWS900+

There was ALWAYS something missing with ITB, even when i was really happy with a mix, i knew it wasnt what i was capable of. Summing opened things up noticeably. Back to the console has been bliss for both sonics and workflow.
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott petito View Post
Icon user now after 22 years on consoles.... if you really learn the Icon it's pretty hard to go back to a console and I still keep one sitting next to the Icon just in case! mostly switched off
I think I could get used to ICON workflow (its got pluses and minus compared to an analog console), but I am still hung up on the sonics of analog consoles.
Old 16th August 2009
Gear Maniac

I recently hooked up my Amek BC2 to my Prism Orpheus and I was gobsmacked by what it brought to the table.... It was like a lightbulb going on ... "Oh yeahhh .... that's how it used to sound".

Hybrid at the moment for me, but if I am doing any TV work, then I still tend to mix ITB, just because you ALWAYS have to make small tweeks and quite often in an extremely short time-frame.

But no question about it ... Consoles rock and it is simply mandatory for me to track through the Amek.
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoenyc View Post

Calrec BA6A
very nice eric.

do you still have the neotek ?

i only worked on a calrec one time....was really cool, as i recall.

jchristopherhughes
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Mine is a box with rotary vol pots and no eq or anything. I love it.
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

always on a console
Old 16th August 2009
Gear Head

Love to mix on an good console with lots of headroom.
Hate to fiddle with a mouse or a controller and look at tiny
softnobs on a screen.
I see no point in summing boxes, they are all boring and you might as well
mix ITB. We've tried a few summingboxes and ... dfegad

I think external EQs/Compressors have more bite/punch than
plug-ins.

Richard
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Hi there,

I have a Soundcraft TS 12 and a 32 channel Digi Pro Control....best of both worlds !

Cheers

John NYMO Nyman
Old 16th August 2009
I am new to the game.. so for the last few years its all been ITB... Now im studying and getting a feel for the hands on approach of a console, I am leaning more towards that..
I would be keen for analog console in, and an automated control surface for mixing the outs.. still looking into what i want to get.. but definatly will have some sort of console/external mixer.. been using a mouse for too long
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

I have a day gig, and don't have tens of thousands lying around so I'm just going work ITB, do the best I possibly can, and not worry about "credz."
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

28-channel Neotek Series II that's been recapped and upgraded. I'll get rid of it when I'm done with audio and not a minute before.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

You should be asking me if I still or ever use in the box? When do I not use the console is the question... Hardly ever. I love consoles! In the box is so boring and bland. I hate it. I only ever do rough mixes in the box.

Neotek Series I Prototype 28X24X24

Last edited by Hamburg58; 16th August 2009 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: added photo
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

console and loving it
Attached Thumbnails
How Many Are Still Using Mixing Consoles?-jo.jpg  
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison View Post
I have a day gig, and don't have tens of thousands lying around so I'm just going work ITB, do the best I possibly can, and not worry about "credz."
What does having tens of thousands lying around have to do with anything?
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Hamburg58, that room looks beautiful!! Great job.
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Everything!

I wonder... how much $$$ does the average person who posted on this thread have tied up in their studio? The one I used to produce out of back in the 80's had at least 150K to 200K and that was in the basement of his home.
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

After 8 years of pure ITB mixing I just went back to a console - SSL 4048G-Series:

Feeding the SSL with 48 Converter Channels from a Mac Pro 8-Core running Logic. Lots of plugins as well (Waves Mercury, URS, PSP, Airwindows).
Ask me in 6 months again and I'll know more about it...
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
RE: http://ronansrecordingshow.com (My new "TV show" about recording)
Hey Ronan!

Just saw your show for the first time (Great job!

I was listening to the first vid about how to solve the problem recording guitars. You had a bit of intro music when I first watched it and it sounded nice and warm (great job).

Did you record that from scratch? Also... I tried refreshing your page and starting the video over to hear it again but it just picks up with you talking (Hmmm).

Anyway... sounds great.

SEA
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemozart View Post
After 8 years of pure ITB mixing I just went back to a console - SSL 4048G-Series:

Feeding the SSL with 48 Converter Channels from a Mac Pro 8-Core running Logic. Lots of plugins as well (Waves Mercury, URS, PSP, Airwindows).
Ask me in 6 months again and I'll know more about it...
Did you do the music on this video with your SSL?

If so... VERY NICE! It's warm like a fire on a cold winter day!

SEA
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

The music on this video was done by Patrick (aka WildCowboys here on Gearslutz) who is on our Mozart & Friends Team of music producers. Worldclass writer/producer and sound lover. I'd have to ask him regarding this particular track but usually he's mixing hybrid with some Neve transformers and analogue compression strapped across the mix-bus.

Mozart & Friends - Producers & Writers - Patrick Flo Macheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
Did you do the music on this video with your SSL?

If so... VERY NICE! It's warm like a fire on a cold winter day!

SEA
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemozart View Post
The music on this video was done by Patrick (aka WildCowboys here on Gearslutz) who is on our Mozart & Friends Team of music producers. Worldclass writer/producer and sound lover. I'd have to ask him regarding this particular track but usually he's mixing hybrid with some Neve transformers and analogue compression strapped across the mix-bus.

Mozart & Friends - Producers & Writers - Patrick Flo Macheck
Ask my Brutha... ASK!!!!
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Last time I checked they weren't giving consoles away.

I'd need 32 channels, minimum, with automation. And the way I like to work, I'd also need to have it all pipe in and out of my DAW. So, 32 channels of ADA, and probably 10 more for subs and 2-buss.

No way to do that respectably for less than $20k. And that's with pretty average gear.

Do you know how to do that for less?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search