The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dynaudio Focus 140 as a studio monitor
Old 13th August 2009
Lives for gear

Dynaudio Focus 140 as a studio monitor

I just sold my passive BM15's. They were nice but too big for me because I don't listen at high levels and I don't need huge bass, so I would like to get some smaller dynaudios with slightly more midrange and forward sound. Does somebody happen to use the Dynaudio Focus 140 or some other dynaudio's high end or "consumer" speakers for studio monitoring? I am interested in them because dynaudio use newer and higher quality drivers and crossover components in their high end models like focus 140, compared to the "professional line". I know that the BM6A would probably work well for my purpose but I like the idea to be able to select the amplifier for the speakers and I already have a high quality Rotel power amplifier. IMO the Focus 140 looks like a high end model of the BM6.

Here's the focus 140 website: Dynaudio - Authentic Fidelity and a quite good review of the speakers: Stereophile: Dynaudio Focus 140 loudspeaker

Any discussion and user opinions are welcome.

Old 13th August 2009
PDC
Lives for gear

IMO, they will work well.

FYI, Dynaudio NEVER EVER ALLOWS dealers to sell on-line. If you find an on-line store claiming to be a current dealer, they are not. Their product may be old or two-stepped. Warranties will not be honored by Dyn. Dyn cares about it's dealers, which is a nice thing in this day and age.
Old 13th August 2009
Lives for gear

Actually I called today to a local high end store and I can borrow a pair of dyns (which have been well burned in) for free and check them out at home. Great service! I will probably go and get them later this month.
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

I never bought the Focus 140's. They are now replaced with Focus 160 that is more expensive. Anybody tried the Dynaudio DM 2/7 for monitoring purposes? It is a passive "entry level" Dynaudio passive hifi speaker that seems to use high quality drivers, as the BM series: Dynaudio DM 2/7 review from the experts at whathifi.com
Old 7th December 2013
Gear Head

I have used the Focus 140, with a Bryston 4BST and Van Den Hul MC Magnum cables, for about 4 years now.

The bass in this thing is unbelievable.
Deep, solid, thick, with impressive extension.
(Sooo much better than the BM15 - don't be fooled by the woofer's size).
The top end is crystal clear, 'ridiculously' transparent and extended.

Every detail is showed in the face.

From Dynaudio, I already worked with BM6 mkI, BM15, M1 and AIR20, and honestly, none of them can be compared with the set I'm using right now.
It's another level of monitoring.

I think it's convenient to say that I work 99% with acoustic recording/mixing (mostly Jazz/Instrumental - acoustic piano/bass/drums, strings, brass and woodwinds, etc). For this kind of music, there is a great difference in working with these babies.

We are building a new mix room now, and I'm deciding between to get a Focus 220 (tower) or invest in the Confidence C1.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search