The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
drawmer 1960 vs 1969
Old 5th May 2003
Lives for gear

drawmer 1960 vs 1969

I understand they are completly diffrent beasts, but is the 1960 still a good buy for 900$ ?
need a versatile compressor that can do drum buss and mix buss compression as well as all other.
thanx
guy
Old 5th May 2003
member no 666

IMNTLBFHO... you couldn't give me a 1960. I've always found it to be like trying to pull audio through a sponge... not a fun event by any stretch of the imagination.

Best of luck.
Old 5th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
IMNTLBFHO... you couldn't give me a 1960. I've always found it to be like trying to pull audio through a sponge... not a fun event by any stretch of the imagination.

Best of luck.
I agree ...

I got a 1960 in a studio rack, I think I only used it as a DI for the bass ...
It's a bucket of mud ...

malice
Old 5th May 2003
good god now i can save time. grudge

i was on the way to buy a 1960... but what about the 1969???

regards deft:::
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear
Just another vote against the 1960, I sold mine a while back and I haven't missed it once. Mine was noisy and the pres were crap. That said two friends of mine love 'em.

Haven't heard the 1969 but to be honest i have no interest in it - purely a bias against it.

Best of luck,
Ruairi
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

Re: drawmer 1960 vs 1969

Another view is that people like William Orbit, Rae and Christian and Talvin Singh to mention a few, have all said that they rate the 1960 very highly.

It's good to listen for yourself, especially with a piece like this that is beloved by many successful producers but generally reviled on web forums.

I don't think anyone would opt to put over the 2 bus though.
Old 6th May 2003
Gear Guru

I've never used a 1960, but I have and use my 1969 a lot. The compressor makes many different sounds. Changing the attack and release will yield many tonal variations; you can darken a sound, or open it up. Being that these controls are switches, they are easy to compare, as you always get back to the same point. I thought I wouldn't like this, but in practice I really do.

The mic pres are clean and seem to favor the mid-range a bit, but not in a bad way. I recorded some stereo acoustic guitar this weekend using the '69 pre s and compressors in stereo. The tracks sound really full and natural. In setting up the compressor I was able to get a cool "vintage grab" compression, it just didn't work in the situation, but I may use it someday.

I really like the compressor on vocals, often in series, or after a different compressor. You can maintain the emotion of the performance while 'massaging' the dynamics to be more stable.

I bought the piece as a mix-buss compressor and it works well there. The BIG switch adds a 100hz filter that keeps the thing from pumping. It can add a certain glue to the mix. I find sometimes that it dulls the top a bit, which I don’t like. I find when using it on the mix-buss I need to strap it in early in the process, otherwise it does more harm than good.

I've barely used the DI so I will refrain from comment on that feature.

Good Luck with your search!
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Drumsound

The mic pres are clean and seem to favor the mid-range a bit, but not in a bad way. I recorded some stereo acoustic guitar this weekend using the '69 pre s and compressors in stereo. The tracks sound really full and natural. In setting up the compressor I was able to get a cool "vintage grab" compression, it just didn't work in the situation, but I may use it someday.

I have to agree with the above sentiments. In combination with my Cad M-9 mic on acoustic guitar, the drawmer definitely sounded "full" and "natural" in a session i worked on over the weekend. Everything about the unit was flattering to the sound i was going after, and when i A/Bed it to with my new Neve preamps, the client agreed that the Drawmer was the sound he wanted (but i didn't have any compression following the Neve, so that def. influenced what we were hearing). We also ran vocals through the Drawmer and again were very happy with the results.

I got this about 2 months ago from Jax on this board and never got a chance to put it through it's paces too heavily until the past few weeks and i'm really happy i picked it up. A lot of people on here are slagging on the 1969 lately but for me, it's a great piece that i'm going to be going to every time i'm looking for great tones.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear