The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best DI box for synths and bass? Direct Injection & Re-amp Boxes
Old 10th August 2009
Gear Nut

Best DI box for synths and bass?

I recently got myself the Radial J48 but realised that maybe I should have got a stereo DI unit instead.

Any ideas for a good DI box that's great for synths and bass guitar. I'm looking at the Radial Duplex but not sure if it's ok for bass guitar. Any advice
Old 10th August 2009
A Designs REDDI
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear

We use Avalon U5 for synths.
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear

A Designs REDDI.
It's also great on Rhodes and Wurlitzer... actually just about anything you plug into the REDDI sounds great.
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear

If you want to add some bigness and warmth to the signal, the A Designs REDDI is going to be hard to beat. Analog synths through that thing sound amazing.

If you want super defined and clear, I am a big fan of the Little Labs DIs.
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimp3000 View Post
I recently got myself the Radial J48 but realised that maybe I should have got a stereo DI unit instead.

Any ideas for a good DI box that's great for synths and bass guitar. I'm looking at the Radial Duplex but not sure if it's ok for bass guitar. Any advice
For bass guitar, the band I write some of the lyrics for - The Codes - uses a Radial Pro DI. That's the green passive without the Jensen transformer. When offered other, more expensive, choices, the Pro DI is usually chosen.

best,

john
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear

REDDI or Radial JDI (passive).

Or simply the DI on quality mic-preamp. (And that opens up a whole other thread, alas.)

Best of luck.
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear

I just use the DI's on my pres. If you must use a DI I would second the Avalon U5 as well.
Old 10th August 2009
Gear Nut

Is the REDDI stereo input...doesn't look like it from pictures? I want a L and R input -going from my synths to the DI box.
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear

No its not stereo! Tell you what go for either the Jdi Duplex or Phoenix Audio nice di which is also stereo.
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear

We use two Avalon U5's. I also like the instrument input on the Millennia STT-1. Really tight bottom. It's an expensive DI box, especially if you need stereo.... I have not tried the Radial stuff in the studio, but their DI's seem to be pretty standard amongst the serious PA companies, at least in my country. When I see one of those green/red/white boxes on stage besides my keyboard stand, I know my keys are going to sound great.

Stein Tore
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear
IME..If you want clean/good, try the WhirlWind HotBox. ( underrated DI)..I have a few good DIs and it usually end up being used in place of some of them.. The Radial Duplex is a great sounding DI.. Just need a good pre behind it..Good luck..
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear

BTW, the line output on the U5 is useful if you're short on preamps. You can of course use the mic output and your preamp of choice if you don't like the U5 preamp.

Stein Tore
Old 10th August 2009
Gear Addict

How does the Phoenix nice compare to the reddi ? Anyone have experience of both..?
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

Very different, in my experience:

The Reddi seems to me old-school "tubey"; while the Phoenix is solid-state (vaguely 1073 territory, though more mid-forward and less low-mid build-up) tone.

Both can do "growl"; both can do "big" and "warm"; both can do mid "punch"; but each does each thing differently.

This probably doesn't help much.

You should listen to them in your shop and decide.

Best of luck.

D.
Old 11th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Avalon U-5
Old 11th August 2009
Gear Addict
Demeter Tube DI
Old 11th August 2009
Gear Nut

Forgive me, but the Avalon U5 does not seem to be stereo? (like the radial duplex)
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Forgive me, but the Avalon U5 does not seem to be stereo? (like the radial duplex)
The U5 is mono.

Stein Tore
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

Yep, mono. Just use two.
Old 11th August 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Goekdag View Post
Yep, mono. Just use two.
whoa-ok...$1300. *Sweating*
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

+ Phoenix Di or Great River´s ME1NV Hi Z. .
Both are great sounding to me...
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah I know, it does hurt. But then it's the kind of kit that gets used all the time and will make you not need any other DI for the next ten years.

The U5 really sound excellent, well worth every penny.
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The AD2022 is, roughly speaking, 2 U5's with mic preamps to boot. It's a great stereo DI for synths.

-synthoid
Old 11th August 2009
Deleted User
Quote:

between the Avalon U5, the countryman and the direct inputs on a few pre's ... if I could only have one it would be the Avalon.
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
The AD2022 is, roughly speaking, 2 U5's with mic preamps to boot. It's a great stereo DI for synths.

-synthoid
If the OP was sweating over $1300 for 2 U5's, I don't think he'd be happy at the $2850-$3000 price of an AD2022. It is a very nice unit though. I wish I still had mine.
Old 12th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Demeter Tube DI
Old 12th August 2009
Here for the gear

Avalon doesn't cut it in my world!

I bought into the Avalon hype 12 years ago,got a pair of U5s with rack mount,737sp and they never sounded more than sterile.If you like sterile
buy a Mackie mixer(newer ones) and be done with it.I much prefer my modded Siemens V72 to some 500 series offerings I have OSA,Buzz,Germ.
Probably will end up with a pair of Mercury M72s and or a Thermionic Rooster to run synths through.I'm the type that likes things to sound bigger and better on the way out rather than the same but amplified.
Old 12th August 2009
Gear Nut

Thanks GS. In the end I went with the API A2D and returned the J48 DI as was told I would not need a DI box if using the API. I'll see how I get on with recording straight into the A2D and then decide on a DI later.
Old 12th August 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirge13 View Post
I bought into the Avalon hype 12 years ago,got a pair of U5s with rack mount,737sp and they never sounded more than sterile.If you like sterile
buy a Mackie mixer(newer ones) and be done with it.I much prefer my modded Siemens V72 to some 500 series offerings I have OSA,Buzz,Germ.
Probably will end up with a pair of Mercury M72s and or a Thermionic Rooster to run synths through.I'm the type that likes things to sound bigger and better on the way out rather than the same but amplified.
Yeah, I have an U-5 and it's good but....I think my HotBox sounds just as good..( especially the cost between the two)..Matter of fact, I haven't turned the U-5 on for weeks now.... I reach for the Hotbox before it. ( if I'm needing a clean DI)..YMMV.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search