The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best DI box for synths and bass? Direct Injection & Re-amp Boxes
Old 13th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max3000 View Post
Thanks GS. In the end I went with the API A2D and returned the J48 DI as was told I would not need a DI box if using the API. I'll see how I get on with recording straight into the A2D and then decide on a DI later.
Max, in case you're unaware: the instrument input on the A2D passes signal through the opamp and output transformer (i.e., the input transformer is bypassed). If you use an external DI and patch its output into the mic input on the A2D you'll be passing audio through the input transformer as well. The A2D allows you to customise the sound by virtue of working the transformer and opamp in different ways.

The instrument ins are still fantastic though.
Old 13th August 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
Max, in case you're unaware: the instrument input on the A2D passes signal through the opamp and output transformer (i.e., the input transformer is bypassed). If you use an external DI and patch its output into the mic input on the A2D you'll be passing audio through the input transformer as well. The A2D allows you to customise the sound by virtue of working the transformer and opamp in different ways.

You are correct on all points.

Technically, you will not need an external DI... However, a good Jensen transformer based DI will give you a different sonic texture, and you may feel it sounds better.
Old 13th August 2009
Lives for gear

Radial Di all the way then you can patch it into preamp of choice for colour .
Old 13th August 2009
Lives for gear

bump for the Reddi

just look at that thing! you know you're gonna like it!

I have one, with two more on order
Old 13th August 2009
Lives for gear

I have the reddi and radial's, and like them together as well. The thing with reddi is it's definantly 'tubey' sounding. I haven't found anything wrong with the radials, works great with any thing so far.
Old 13th August 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post

Thanks for that, Tubthumper. I was concerned that this might be the case (similar to the Neve DPD) and, in fact, you actually answered the question that I should've asked in the first place! ps what's 'opamp'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post

Technically, you will not need an external DI... However, a good Jensen transformer based DI will give you a different sonic texture, and you may feel it sounds better.
Thanks for clarifying further,Tony. I will get one - but a STEREO one- I don't think I can fork out for 2 expensive mono ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
Radial Di all the way then you can patch it into preamp of choice for colour .
This pretty much sums up my thinking at the mo'. Although will need to try it as I like the idea that the Reddi is 'tubey'.
Old 15th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max3000 View Post
Is the REDDI stereo input...doesn't look like it from pictures? I want a L and R input -going from my synths to the DI box.
Then you'll need this...

Old 15th August 2009
Lives for gear

Thats a nice D.I!.Iv'e used the mono one for bass and it rules/.

Some of you might laugh but I have a presonus M-80 with the jensen transformers and it's an amazing di for synths.8 channels and a deal used if you need some bang for your buck.
Old 17th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirge13 View Post
a pair of Mercury M72s and or a Thermionic Rooster to run synths through. I'm the type that likes things to sound bigger and better on the way out rather than the same but amplified.
+1 on the Mercury M72/2 for direct stuff. They are Pure Audio Toasters, in a very pleasing way. They are BIG and dense!!! The Rooster is also a fine piece of kit for a higher fidelity smoother Pultec inspired "syrupy" type response.
Old 18th August 2009
Lives for gear

I'm a 'board player and the standard radial stereo DI really is great. In the studio I use the Radial into the UA 2-610 OR I use the instrument inputs on my API A2D without the Radial. The API sound from the front panel 1/4 "line ins" is truly something to hear on ALL Synths. BIG CLEAR sound.

The UA sound is more syrupy (slow) and I find it sounds better to me if I use a DI into the mic inputs rather than the front panel instrument ins or line ins...
Old 20th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post
Then you'll need this...

+1 on Manley Tube DI
I've use it with my synth all the time.
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

I've been absolutely loving the DI input on the UA 6176 for bass... but even more so for synths. It's obviously MUCH more than a DI box though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search