The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
LA-22 for lead vocal
Old 31st August 2005
Gear Nut

LA-22 for lead vocal

I have to do some mixing in a project studio where the only decent comp is a LA-22 hence I'm planning to use it on lead vocals.

Apparently, it's not the simplest comp on earth, so I was wondering if anyone would like to share his experience: How do you use it (specially the sidechain eq), what settings do you generally use for vox, etc.?

Hope someone can help...
Old 31st August 2005
Lives for gear

My advice would be not to mess with the sidechain eq at all. But if you must, there is a sidechain listen button wich lets you listen to it. The whole eq section would work as a normal eq for you to zoom in on an area that the compressor will be extra sensitive to, can work as a de-esser for example.
Old 31st August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe Records
I have to do some mixing in a project studio where the only decent comp is a LA-22 hence I'm planning to use it on lead vocals.

Apparently, it's not the simplest comp on earth, so I was wondering if anyone would like to share his experience: How do you use it (specially the sidechain eq), what settings do you generally use for vox, etc.?

Hope someone can help...
Not that it matters(only 2 me) but the LA-22 is my favorite vocal mixdown comp on the earth. heh

I always use it EQ going into it.

These days my vocal mixdown is EQ-comp-La22 .

The side chain EQ is the most useful kit there is.

My settings are med to high threshold,avg detection, the ratio i just use my ears,med to slow attack and med fast release.

When the LA22 is on the end of my mixdown vocal chain i tend to use it at 10:1 more like a limiter.

I use the sidechain to tune into the freq that's throwing the vocal track off.

I generally hold down the side chain button and sweep it until it triggers the comp.

The makeup output has a unique sound(hence why i love it).

It adds a nice lift to vocal sound that makes it stand out in the track.

I am pretty sure someone may use my blurb here on ebay to hike up the price. fuuck

But it is a vey special piece for mixing vocals,snares and kicks.
Old 31st August 2005
Gear Nut

Wow, thanks a lot, guys!

Thrill, i have just a few questions:
- what bandwidth do you tipically use on the sidechain eq?
- what do you generally use the second channel for? Like, have you tried to use both channels in serial?
- do you use the expander feature?

Thanks again!

PS. I know it's off topic, but i'm just being curious: why do you put another comp before the LA-22, and which one do you use? (if it is not a secret)
Old 31st August 2005
Quote:
Wow, thanks a lot, guys!

Thrill, i have just a few questions:
- what bandwidth do you tipically use on the sidechain eq?
This is hard to say because its frequency dependent on the vocal.

Sometimes something narrow if there is one problem area(usually the low mids).

But i have at times done something broader as an effect.

Basically what i am saying is to use your ears on this one.

Quote:
- what do you generally use the second channel for? Like, have you tried to use both channels in serial?
My second channel these days is either for when i am mixing lets say a vocal group with a couple of vocalists.

And i need a different chain for each vocal.

But its been used a lot lately on one of my snare mults.

I use it to get a ridiculous amount of attack on a snare.

In serial?

Well if i had a vocal that was that bad i would probably reach for a couple of other tools as well that do something similar but for more specific purposes.

Quote:
- do you use the expander feature?
Yeah sometimes.

Quote:
Thanks again!
Your welcome.

Quote:

PS. I know it's off topic, but i'm just being curious: why do you put another comp before the LA-22, and which one do you use? (if it is not a secret)
Well lets just say i use whatever works for the particular vocal that day.

(I am loving the 2254 before it alot these days).
Old 31st August 2005
Gear Nut

Cool!
Thanks again for your help, Thrill!
Old 1st September 2005
Gear Addict

although it's not my post, thank you thrill! As a new la-22 user (my first hardware compressor yeeha) im still trying every different setting on the unit and your help is appreciated! That 'detector' knob is an enigma for someone like me who only knows the basics of compression.
Now, I nor the original poster (at least i think so) have the luxury to put another comp before the la-22 and I don't feel too comfortable using external effects on seperate tracks (I only have RME ad/da) so tracking with very light compression and add more compression in the mix is difficult (or it has to be plugins). Anyway, how easy is it to kill a vocal overcompressing it with a la-22?
And is there anyone using this unit on 2-bus?
One more question: i have the feeling this unit was bashed and severely criticized when it came out. Why was that? high price? cheap feeling?
Sorry for so many questions

Regards,
Bram
Old 1st September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bram
Anyway, how easy is it to kill a vocal overcompressing it with a la-22?
I think it could be easy to make a vocal sound silly if you applied to much gain reduction to the wrong area with the unit in narrow mode. It's a little tough to get the "lisp" thing going on when using it as a de-esser, but it's easy to get the vocal to lose clarity. I do think it's a great box for problem-solving on low and mid-frequency buildup.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 2nd September 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bram
although it's not my post, thank you thrill! As a new la-22 user (my first hardware compressor yeeha) im still trying every different setting on the unit and your help is appreciated! That 'detector' knob is an enigma for someone like me who only knows the basics of compression.
Now, I nor the original poster (at least i think so) have the luxury to put another comp before the la-22 and I don't feel too comfortable using external effects on seperate tracks (I only have RME ad/da) so tracking with very light compression and add more compression in the mix is difficult (or it has to be plugins). Anyway, how easy is it to kill a vocal overcompressing it with a la-22?
And is there anyone using this unit on 2-bus?
One more question: i have the feeling this unit was bashed and severely criticized when it came out. Why was that? high price? cheap feeling?
Sorry for so many questions

Regards,
Bram

Bram when i use it on its own when mixing i never really compress that hard.

I tickle the meters.

Also i've never tracked vocals with it.

I prefer it for one of my "sonic bullets" at mixdown.

I do use it more for its character than just the compression characteristics.

I just love the way it makes lead vocals jump out in the mix.

I have never and don't think will ever use it on the mixbuss.

It was bashed because it was the first unit when Harmon Kardon took over Urei.

Basically they crammed all the different Urei compression styles into one box.

Only problem they built it in a one space unit so it overheats and generally blows out.

You have to keep it cool or it will blow on you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search