The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
KM85 questions Studio Headphones
Old 7th August 2009
Gear Addict

KM85 questions

My new-to-me KM85 understandably has a few dents.
They are very gentle dents and look like they would be easy to pop out if I took apart the body. How hard is this? How involved once you unscrew the teeny-tiny flat screws?
Also, the gold post on the capsule has come unscrewed. I hand tightened it back up, but noticed the dab of yellow colored glue that is supposed to lock the post is broken loose. What kind of glue is this? How important to the performance of the mic is this locking glue?
Old 8th August 2009
Gear Addict

To answer my own questions.... I took apart my km85 this morning, (after looking at a few pictures of the interior I found on the web). My gold post was loose and my gold connecting wires inside the mic seemed a little too far spread apart to give me a good connection.

The mic body and innards were hard to pull apart because of the dents in the mic body.... but after gently working the mic apart, I put a round socket extension into the body and rolled it back and forth over the dents and they almost disappeared altogether. Now the guts slide in and out with no effort.
I placed a tiny dab of clear epoxy where the post meets the plate and put her all back together. I then hooked it up to my tasty little Focusrite pre ( ok, it's not a neve... but it's still tasty to me ) and did a test-test and was thrilled with how good it sounded. (actually it didn't sound any different....but I was very thrilled it still worked after I messed with it, because my wife had accused me of "tearing up my toys".)

Seeing how robust a design these little things exhibit, I would not hesitate to advise anyone (with a spot of sense) to open theirs up to have a look-see at the gold post glue joint, and wire connection spacing to see if all is well.
The hardest part of the whole operation was fashioning a small enough flat tip screwdriver to manipulate the itsy-bitsy screws.
Kind regards,
Chaz.

Ps. I figured out why nobody answered my questions......they are all to busy arguing about MJ's nose.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search