The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Getting it right at the source
Old 6th August 2009
Gear Addict

Getting it right at the source

Just curious to see how many guys provide a full compliment of most of the instruments that they record regularly in their studio i.e. a drum kit, amps, guitars etc.?

If you frequently find that you are recording bands with not so great instruments/gear wouldn't providing said instruments/gear at a better standard produce better overall results than a fancy new channel strip or compressor or mic or whatever?

Seeing as what makes a lot of great recording gear great is its ability to produce good sounding results even though the source might be lacking, wouldn't ensuring that the source is right be a better approach?

Morally speaking (sort of) it is the musicians job to provide their own tools to do the job, but if the recording isn't up to scratch the person recording will be considered responsible (even though the recording might be fine, it was just the source that was flawed).

In my limited experience a good source will shine through using even the most basic of gear. I don't mean this to preclude or dismiss the role of kick ass high-end gear but considering a great guitar amp or a good drum kit can be had for the same price as many single channel high end pieces wouldn't investing in the former before the latter make sense?
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

I offer the usage of all my instruments and amps to the band, and always confer with them before a session if I'm producing. The studios I use for tracking have a good selection of stuff as well. I have a snare drum I particularly love, and is very versatile, and I always present it to the drummer if I think it will sound better than what they've got. I'm more into the result than the process, so I'll let them use whatever they want.
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

I have a few good things around. My guitar amps end up on tons of records I record. Clients are welcome to use any of it, and if I think my gear will do better I will suggest it.
Old 7th August 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
I'm more into the result than the process, so I'll let them use whatever they want.
I'm the same.If I need to use the bathroom for recording vocals I'll do it.
I have drum kits and many guitars that I freely suggest to the clients that they can use.
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

Yes, I have a variety of amps, cabs, drums and cymbals, as well as the odds and ends like pedals, guitars, bass guitars, cables, picks, etc.
I learned that the smallest changes there make the biggest difference down the line, and I found it to be true very quickly.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search