The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Crane Song HEDD 192 Question Audio Interfaces
Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

Crane Song HEDD 192 Question

I'm ordering a HEDD 192 soon and was going to also order the M-Audio Audiophile 2496, just so I can have a PCI card just to run my MIDI and S/PDIF I/O with, bypass their converters (of course).

So never having done this before... I was wondering if this is ok or not using this card or is there another card recommended?

Any tips and help would be great.

Jamie
Old 6th August 2009
Gear Head

Get it right the first time

Another card to consider might be the Lynx AES16e AES16e which is PCIe with 16 AES in/out. Note the difference between PCI and PCIe and be sure your box can handle which ever you choose.

Perhaps the AES16e is a bit more high end, but I reckon its cheaper to get it right the first time than waste time and money swapping things in and out over eBay. If your getting a HEDD then your in to high end already. The AES16e has been rock solid for me with the Lynx Aurora and a solid clock too. You should also consider what will be the master clock and and how to sync it to the HEDD.

There might be a midi to usb stick to handle the midi stuff.
Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

The master clock will be the HEDD. I am only doing 2 channels so nothing more is needed at this point. I'll be running 2 mic pres into the HEDD and cutting only vocals and stereo acoustic instruments from time to time. Everything else is in the box.

The converters will all be bypassed in whatever PCI card I use. Not sure if I need a PCIe card. I'll also be adding a UAD-2 Duo Flexi to my rig and it uses a PCIe so I don't want to use up any PCIe's if I can help it.

Jamie
Old 6th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
The master clock will be the HEDD. I am only doing 2 channels so nothing more is needed at this point. I'll be running 2 mic pres into the HEDD and cutting only vocals and stereo acoustic instruments from time to time. Everything else is in the box.

The converters will all be bypassed in whatever PCI card I use. Not sure if I need a PCIe card. I'll also be adding a UAD-2 Duo Flexi to my rig and it uses a PCIe so I don't want to use up any PCIe's if I can help it.

Jamie
What computer do you use? I'd check out the RME AIO PCI-e Card for your purpose, as it has what you need, a little extra helpful features, and nothing you don't.
Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

My MB is the ABIT|IP35 Pro XE P35 R

Jamie
Old 6th August 2009
Gear Head

Do a bit of research on PCI versus PCIe (PCI vs PCI Express) to narrow that one down to one or the other. They have different throughput rates and I'm not sure how well a mixture of both in one box would work.
I'm not saying it wont work, just that you should research it before selecting. I would expect it to be completely one or the other, not heterogenous.

Note that PCIe is the current standard. Jamie, you should list the rest of your gear to see how its all going to hang together?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search