The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for single channel vocal preamp Single-Channel Preamps
Old 3rd August 2009
Gear Maniac

Looking for single channel vocal preamp

I currently have a Great River ME-1NV that is great on guitars, but I would like a pre that makes the vocals a little more clear (not as thick). I hear great things about the Pacifica, but I was hoping to spend around $800...so I don't have to sell the Great River.

The vocal is male rock/pop with a Soundelux e251c and SM7b.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
TCW
Old 3rd August 2009
Lives for gear

The Pacifica has a lot of body too! At least to my ears it does. Why not try different mics? The Great River is a good pre. Before you pull out your wallet, try different techniques. i.e. Mic placement, try a different room, or move around the room your in.

Hope that helps!
Old 3rd August 2009
Lives for gear

ADK ap1
Blue Robbie
Old 4th August 2009
You can get a used SSL Alpha Channel on Ebay for 700. Very very clean, nice EQ, Limiter and everything, it's a must buy!
Old 4th August 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCW View Post
I currently have a Great River ME-1NV that is great on guitars, but I would like a pre that makes the vocals a little more clear (not as thick). I hear great things about the Pacifica, but I was hoping to spend around $800...so I don't have to sell the Great River.

The vocal is male rock/pop with a Soundelux e251c and SM7b.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
TCW

I would have thought your e251c would sound great with the Great River??

I have a Pearlman as my main vocal mic and, for my taste, I prefer the Pacifica with it most of the time. But, sometimes I prefered it with the GR in conjunction with some EQing, because the GR has a killer low mid for vocals, but needs some help in the high end.... which is where I would have thought your 251 would come in handy?

BTW, in my experience, the Pacifica destroys the GR on electric guitar.
Old 4th August 2009
Gear Maniac

If you listen to the pre amps in the 500 series "shootout" the Avedis MA 5 on male vocals I thought was the best, pushed forward, clear and 3d sounding, check it out!
Old 4th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by patfont View Post
If you listen to the pre amps in the 500 series "shootout" the Avedis MA 5 on male vocals I thought was the best, pushed forward, clear and 3d sounding, check it out!
I saw one going for 700 in the classifieds.
Old 4th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcballs View Post
I would have thought your e251c would sound great with the Great River??

I have a Pearlman as my main vocal mic and, for my taste, I prefer the Pacifica with it most of the time. But, sometimes I prefered it with the GR in conjunction with some EQing, because the GR has a killer low mid for vocals, but needs some help in the high end.... which is where I would have thought your 251 would come in handy?

BTW, in my experience, the Pacifica destroys the GR on electric guitar.
This is why I could not spend money on a GR, it's a bit too dark sounding for me. It's big, full but a bit dark.
Old 4th August 2009
Gear Maniac

check out Pendulum
Old 4th August 2009
If you want the mojo of the Pacifica but don't want to spend the $2k to get the dual channel unit, you can pickup an A-Designs P-1 500 series module (of course you'd need an available slot and/or a 500 series rack).

Beyond that, and for the same price, there are a few modules in the EM series that are really excellent like the EM-Silver and EM-Blue. Even the A-Designs 500HR 2slot rack is only $299. So, you're pretty close to your price point for the rack and one module and then when you're ready for another 500 series module you'll be all set (I highly recommend the EM-PEQ module which is modeled after the Pultec EQP-1A).
Old 4th August 2009
Lives for gear

To each his own, but I take issue with the notion that the Great River is "dark."

Have you tried varying your input and output ratios—less of the former and more of the latter?

That said, we also have the MA5 here, and it is usually my go-to pre-amp for vocals. It's no less "full" than the Great River (more so, actually), me thinks, but with the 28K switch engaged, you'll get plenty of top end.

Third option to try: BAE 312A. Like an API, but more extended top end.

Fourth option: Daking.

Best of luck.
Old 4th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Have you used the loading or the impedance function. It drastically changes the tone of the unit. I own MP2NV and a Pacifica as well as API, Vintech and Universal Audio. The Pacifica has a lot of coloration and can be just as thick. You might try API, they are killer for vocals.
Old 4th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Grace M101. Will sound exactly like whatever you plug into it.
Maybe the best preamp available, if you DON'T want something "colored".
Old 4th August 2009
Lives for gear

Daking Mic-Pre One. Magic in a box.
Old 4th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveboxxx View Post
Have you used the loading or the impedance function. It drastically changes the tone of the unit. I own MP2NV and a Pacifica as well as API, Vintech and Universal Audio. The Pacifica has a lot of coloration and can be just as thick. You might try API, they are killer for vocals.

Actually Impedance has quite big effect ,
Loading feature is much more subtle Id say..

For someone quoting the "too big" vocs with Great River..

-10dB unbalanced out derived ahead output transformer gives you cleanest path so if something seems to be "too big" this can resolve lots of trouble ..never used but had read in manual haha

gotta check ..
Old 4th August 2009
Gear Guru

I like the Purple Biz, fell in love with it the first time I cut vocal tracks. I want MORE !!!
Old 4th August 2009
Lives for gear

How would the Avalon M5 compare to the Great River which I have?
Old 4th August 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano View Post
How would the Avalon M5 compare to the Great River which I have?
It would be a cleaner option... Which seems like what the OP is asking for.
Old 4th August 2009
Lives for gear

I see. Yes looking for cleaner option. Would cleaner application be best for ballads? Or what type of source?
Old 4th August 2009
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Daking Mic-Pre One. Magic in a box.
For a single channel preamp this also sticks out to me as the magic bullet here.

The variable hi-pass filter is invaluable for tracking vocals also.

War
Old 4th August 2009

Quote:
I see. Yes looking for cleaner option. Would cleaner application be best for ballads? Or what type of source?
I had always used the M5 on R&B vocals... Specifically female vocals. Ironically, I sold my Avalon M5 after getting a Neve, because I wanted more color.
Old 4th August 2009
Lives for gear

Never heard of Daking seems affordable.

Wouldn't the GR be similar to the 1073
Old 4th August 2009
Gear Addict

SPL Channel One with Lundahls!!

Mick
Old 4th August 2009
Here for the gear

If you end up selling your GR I'll buy it. Need one asap!!
Old 4th August 2009
Baz
Lives for gear

We were A/B'g an SM7b through a GR and Daking just the other day. I was amazed at how clear the mic sounded through the Daking, and in this case at least, how much better it sounded than through the GR.

Upside is that a Daking mic pre ONE is maybe the least expensive [highend] single channel pre you can buy,
Old 5th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Great suggestions!

I admit it...My Pacifica desire is based on Gearslutz hype. I've never heard it in person, but I'm sure it must be pretty good.

I record mostly myself: Vocals, elec/acoustic guitar. Drums are ITB, and Bass runs through Bass Driver. Style is rock/pop.

So, if you were in my shoes:

1. Great River and Daking
2. Pacifica

?

Thanks!
TCW
Old 5th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Great River

The pacifica is killer, but if had to choose between those two I would choose the Great River as my go to pre. Good Luck.
Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

Great cost performance ratio ca. 800$..The compressor is mostly useless....thats the only problem but the rest is just GREAT!!!
Just to say I have also more expensive pre-amps than that one! It is one which is worth every PENNY!!!

Also the EQ is not bad they have made some thoughts about to get a great usable pre-amp.

If I think CLEAN/OPEN/NO COLOR.... I take the SPL without hesitation.

You can order it with input transformers but this would be the opposite of clean recording....

In short: Sound Performance Lab
Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

thanks all. I think I will be sitting tight with the GR. I can get clean by lowering gain and uping the output. I am curious about the chandler TG2 but that is another story.
Old 6th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
thanks all. I think I will be sitting tight with the GR. I can get clean by lowering gain and uping the output.

GR NV is a very solid and flexible preamp. Remember, you can also bypass the output transformer for a cleaner sound. For another degree of flexibility -- and not many people know this -- you can adjust the channel bias, which can change the tone of the pre considerably, from making it rounder to less bottom-heavy and more agressive at the top (ask Dan for instructions -- it simply involves adjusting a trimmer inside the GR, but you'd need to measure the voltage to stay in the proper operating range).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search