The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann M49b value?
Old 29th July 2009
Lives for gear

Neumann M49b value?

Hey fellow slutz,

I've got a line on a Neumann M49b.
It's all original, in very good condition, no dents etc.
I'll get a chance to check it out in a studio beforehand.

What's the current value of such a puppy?

Thanks

Michael
Old 29th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Brilliant mic.
Quite possibly one of the best mics ever built.
Can't give it enough praise to do it justice.
I'd say between 8-12k USD pending its condition.
Old 29th July 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks, that's what I feared.
Let's see what price I can get.
Will keep you guys posted.

Michael
Old 29th July 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks, that's what I feared.
Let's see what price I can get.
Will keep you guys posted.

Michael
Old 29th July 2009
Paid 5100 for one in 05 and sold it for 6400 last year on craigslist. Awesome mic. Mine had a huge drumstick looking dent in it. I'd buy one again for sure
Old 29th July 2009
outofphase
The M49 is a good mic for certain applications, it really shines on vocals.

But saddly, due to constant praise and hype at Klauss Heyne forum, these days the prices for an M49 went to the roof.

A few months ago, I saw an M249 selling for $9200 at Vk and $10k at ebay (madooma).

IMHO, you can get better mics for that money.

OoP.
Old 29th July 2009
Lives for gear

Vintage King will sell you one that's been gone through by a tech (and guaranteed) for 8K (and if you have a name business, will send you several to try).

I picked up one out of Europe last month for 6500.00 (plus shipping and insurance) complete with all original supply and yoke... so deals are still out there... but you have to be willing to take a chance...

Can you post detailed pictures to make sure everything is original.

I'll PM you with an offer if she is all good!
Old 30th July 2009
outofphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Vintage King will sell you one that's been gone through by a tech (and guaranteed) for 8K (and if you have a name business, will send you several to try).
Several? Show me just one for sale right now.

M49 is the new U47, every day, is harder to find one for sale.

You are very lucky to find a good one at that price, these days is not easy to find one of those deals, congratulations.

But imagine for a moment that you have to sell it, would you ask $6500 for it? ...I don't think so.

oOp.
Old 30th July 2009
Lives for gear

Ok ok.
I'll go for it.

Still bargaining with the seller about the last hundreds of €, but the price is going to right in any case.

I'll definitely post some pics and clips as soon as I have it - promised.

Anyone needs
- a mint AKG D19 for $500?
- Neumann Gefell MV691 w/ UM70 for $1000?
- Vintage white Sennheiser 421 w/ clip for $400?
- Pair of tested Telefunken V672 preamps w/ 4 individual xformers outs each for $500?

Sorry for going slightly off topic, but this is for a good (read slutty) cause

Thanks

Michael
Old 30th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase View Post
Several? Show me just one for sale right now.

M49 is the new U47, every day, is harder to find one for sale.

You are very lucky to find a good one at that price, these days is not easy to find one of those deals, congratulations.

But imagine for a moment that you have to sell it, would you ask $6500 for it? ...I don't think so.

oOp.
I know Mike Nehera personally and VK rarely posts vintage mic's like these to the general public. In fact they do not because they have their tech (and/or outside mic techs) check and repair any mics like these and this alone can take up to a year. This service has been offered for years to professionals. I just talked to Mike two weeks ago he has two M249's and 2 M49B's for sale right now but one M49B has a Klause Mod and he wants 9K for that one.

I never offered the guy 6500.00, in fact I PM'd him and asked if it was all original and shot him an even higher price. You can get them for a deal out of Europe still but you have to be willing to possibly loose 6500.00... that's the price you pay to try and get a deal! I also agree that I would not sell one right now (and in the US everyone is still asking top dollar for these mics). I've bought two U67's out of Croatia and Germany for 4500.00 each over the last month... and here in the US prople are still trying to get 6.5 to 8K for them!!!

I've also got prices as low as 9K for a U47... but hey don't take my word I don't care... I'll just keep on buying mic's for the studio... oh and btw, I'm not spending my money, this is a job I was hired to do and so far (buying for the last 6 months) I've probably saved these guys over 50K in the gear I bought for them... eyes open guys! I say it all the time, eyes open!
Old 20th August 2009
Here for the gear

m249b

i have a neuman m249b serial number 250 with neuman n52a power supply upgraded and certified by klaus heyne ive had it for the last 25 years in my home studio it is in pristine condition ive never rented it out and im the only one that uses it i want to sell it 11k
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by galante View Post
i have a neuman m249b serial number 250 with neuman n52a power supply upgraded and certified by klaus heyne ive had it for the last 25 years in my home studio it is in pristine condition ive never rented it out and im the only one that uses it i want to sell it 11k
P.M. sent.
Old 21st August 2009
Gear Head

Michael,

You ever sell any of that gear you were talking about? The 421 and the V672's look good. I'm almost done putting together my studio. Thanks.
Old 21st August 2009
Lives for gear

RE: 49s-- I don't care what the price is since I just use these mics to record. I am not interested in selling them.

I would always need to hear/see/taste any used mic before buying.
Old 21st August 2009
outofphase
The M49 is gaining the same "holiness" status as the U47 and the prices are going up every year.

The problem is that there are just a few AC701 out there so, like the U47's VF14, it will became a problem soon.

IMHO the M49 is a better microphone than the U47, it has the same sonic attributes (robust sound but airy) but is a lot more versatile.

OoP.
Old 7th October 2011
Here for the gear

Neumann M49 B Value

You may find one for less than $8000 US ... or not.
Old 7th October 2011
Lives for gear

AC701's are much more plentiful than VF14 ever was.
Old 8th October 2011
outofphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf View Post
AC701's are much more plentiful than VF14 ever was.
tutt Not these days. Show me one for less than $1000 ready to be used in a vocal mic application.
Old 8th October 2011
outofphase
BTW, VK is selling right now one M49 for $11995 usd. and a Pair for $28k.
Old 8th October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
BTW, VK is selling right now one M49 for $11995 usd. and a Pair for $28k.
So minus 20% the value is around $9.6k

I would say $8k in this crummy economy without the original power supply
Old 8th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
tutt Not these days. Show me one for less than $1000 ready to be used in a vocal mic application.
1) Bought one of 5 available here on GS for $800 about 45 days ago. Stellar.
2) At double the above price, a good 701 is much less expensive than the VF14; and indication of availability
3) Original statement by gyaf was, "AC701's are much more plentiful than VF14 ever was." This is a statement of fact. And is true when in production and therefore now.

Now for some (many?) people the cost of an AC701 is 'out of range' and reason to look elsewhere. That's fine. But the situation really isn't like the VF14. There are people our there with hundreds of AC701s. Not the case with VF14s. At least not that I am aware.
Old 9th October 2011
outofphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
1) Bought one of 5 available here on GS for $800 about 45 days ago. Stellar.
Ok, my mistake, not $1000 but $800.

Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, my mistake, not $1000 but $800.

You said show you one under $1000. I showed you five 20% under that number. Like many discussions the goal posts are now moved.

But more importantly you appear to continue to support the false equivalency between VF14 and AC701 availability. Nowhere near the same circumstance. Or maybe you can show me an excellent VF14 for $800 w/warranty. Nevermind; no room for facts when BS will do.

GS, home of the blind 'leading' the blind (deaf). Personally i'd be very happy if everyone on GS thought the AC701 was as hard to source as a VF14K. Unforunately (?) there are a few that know better.
Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

Neumann M49b value?

The m49 has a great sonic value: it is a superb microphone, not just for vocals. Many think it is in the same league as the U47 (and I do as well) hence it's market value.
Old 10th October 2011
outofphase
Quote:
You said show you one under $1000. I showed you five 20% under that number. Like many discussions the goal posts are now moved.

But more importantly you appear to continue to support the false equivalency between VF14 and AC701 availability. Nowhere near the same circumstance. Or maybe you can show me an excellent VF14 for $800 w/warranty. Nevermind; no room for facts when BS will do.

GS, home of the blind 'leading' the blind (deaf). Personally i'd be very happy if everyone on GS thought the AC701 was as hard to source as a VF14K. Unforunately (?) there are a few that know better.
Relax, we're just talking tubes here.
Old 10th October 2011
Quote:

Sometimes it is refreshing to read something written from a place of knowledge and authority.
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
Sometimes it is refreshing to read something written from a place of knowledge and authority.
Were can i find that place.........
Old 11th October 2011
outofphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
Probably not anywhere that a VF14 is said to cost $800....maybe over at that 'other' place.
Old 12th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Probably not anywhere that a VF14 is said to cost $800....maybe over at that 'other' place.
I know what you mean and agree.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search