The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann M49b value? Condenser Microphones
Old 10th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Neumann m49

Hey guys.

I just got offered a neumann m49 the power supply and cables are non original PSU.

I'd like to know a realistic price for it?
Old 11th December 2015
Lives for gear

Price is going to depend on condition of the mic more than having original cables and power supply (assuming the power supply is a good one from a reputable source). The capsule could either be an M7 or a K47. If it has an M7, it would most likley be a re-skin since there are very few original Neumann Berlin PVC m7's that are still OK in 2015. By some miracle, if there is a good working original Berlin M7 it would make the mic worth more (maybe $15k, maybe more). The most popular re-skins of M7's are done by Sigfried Thiersch. With a Thiersch re-skin, an M49b in good shape, with a quality replacement power supply should be worth anywhere between $8,000 - $12,000. With a genuine Neumann K47 capsule (the K47 caspule material is a more modern Mylar, like Neumann still uses, and has screws abound the outside ring) the mic (again in good condition) should be worth $8,000 - $12,000. Dealers, like Vintage King, will charge more of course but they will have tested the mic and will offer a guarantee. A lot of M49b models were later changed to "c" spec (many of those say M49 B/C on the name plate) and one that is not altered and still at B spec is slightly more desirable because of its rarity.
Old 11th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins View Post
Price is going to depend on condition of the mic more than having original cables and power supply (assuming the power supply is a good one from a reputable source). The capsule could either be an M7 or a K47. If it has an M7, it would most likley be a re-skin since there are very few original Neumann Berlin PVC m7's that are still OK in 2015. By some miracle, if there is a good working original Berlin M7 it would make the mic worth more (maybe $15k, maybe more). The most popular re-skins of M7's are done by Sigfried Thiersch. With a Thiersch re-skin, an M49b in good shape, with a quality replacement power supply should be worth anywhere between $8,000 - $12,000. With a genuine Neumann K47 capsule (the K47 caspule material is a more modern Mylar, like Neumann still uses, and has screws abound the outside ring) the mic (again in good condition) should be worth $8,000 - $12,000. Dealers, like Vintage King, will charge more of course but they will have tested the mic and will offer a guarantee. A lot of M49b models were later changed to "c" spec (many of those say M49 B/C on the name plate) and one that is not altered and still at B spec is slightly more desirable because of its rarity.
What's the difference between b and c spec?
Old 11th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
What's the difference between b and c spec?
to my knowledge:

B and C both have a K49 capsule, AC701k tube (the switch to ac701k was made before the B suffix though) and a higher output transformer.

The C introduced a PCB in the microphone in stead of point to point wiring and self biasing with lower noise.
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
to my knowledge:

B and C both have a K49 capsule, AC701k tube (the switch to ac701k was made before the B suffix though) and a higher output transformer.

The C introduced a PCB in the microphone in stead of point to point wiring and self biasing with lower noise.
Jamie, I'm not sure that the early transformer has lower output, but the frequency response is certainly different. Could be wrong about the output, though.

And just to put a finer point on it, some M49b mics came with M7 capsules, but no M49c mics did. And yes, the b has a forced bias cathode, and the c, like all Neumann mics labeled "c", has the self biasing cathode.

Also, it is not uncommon to find pre "c" versions switched to the "c" circuit, with the self biasing cathode.
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Oh, btw … OP, you will almost never find an original PSU with M49s. Many M49s in Europe were sold to radio stations, which were using Telefunken consoles with N52a and N52t PSUs built into the console. Many of the US bound ones sold through Gotham came with the NN48, and the majority of them have Stabilyt capacitors in them, which all go bad an leak eventually, and cannot simply be replaced by some other type of capacitor. Therefore, finding a M49 with a working NN48 PSU is rather unusual. So, if it has some other type of PSU it's fine, and not unusual to see a N52 type either.
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

First edition transformer has around 4~5dB lower output, according to M. Schneider from Neumann. A repro I have in a mic from Oliver Archut follows that, but sounds quite badass, especially with the hybrid B/C circuit he did. Cool combo...
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Some background on transformer and type differences...

Which Neumann M49 Version Do I have ?

Archive - M49 output transformers?
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
First edition transformer has around 4~5dB lower output, according to M. Schneider from Neumann. A repro I have in a mic from Oliver Archut follows that, but sounds quite badass, especially with the hybrid B/C circuit he did. Cool combo...
Thanks. I have the early transformer in my early M49a, but I have not noticed the difference in output between that and my M49b mics.

I had a couple of the repro xformers from Oli that I put in my M49b's, for the leaner bass, but found the highs less exciting, and just changed the value of the transformer coupling cap to get the bass to match my M49a instead. I did not recall the output being less. Good to know.
Old 19th March 2019
Here for the gear

Hey guys. I have an M49b and 2 x RCA’s for sale if anyone would like more info. Many thanks
Trent

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search