The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anamod ATS-1 - Actual Owners with experience
Old 13th September 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
dude. after being a total bumheh & borrowing your unit this past year i finally broke down this week and ordered my own fully loaded ATS .
looking forward to finally hearing the 102 and Scotch 111 cards.[arrives Weds]
of course gonna immediately compare to the real 102 @ the main spot next week
didn't know the scotch card was ready, thanks for the heads up badge. when you compare anamod to a real 102 please let us know your thoughts. the anamod sure reminds me of the machine we used to have but i haven't had a chance to get it next to a real 102.
Old 13th September 2009
Gear Addict

seeing as they already have experience with 500 series modules...
maybe they could do a modular version for multitrack setups?
Old 13th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by
On a positive note however,the Studer card[A800
sounded damn good next to the real thing[827].[good for individual tracking,etc too].
promising.

but the 827 compared to an 800 is anemic.
in general the 827 is sonically pretty bland if you ever get comparing.
except they do sound better than an 820........
now back to the anamod
Old 13th September 2009
Just thinking about it in general terms, it would seem that it would do best on a per track basis. When you track to tape, you are hitting the tape separately on each track, so the tape is reacting to each incoming track differently depending on how hard you hit it, the transient nature of the track, etc..., right? Then the sum of all those different reactions becomes the overall effect on playback.

It would seem that just putting in on the mix would be more equivalent to dumping to tape at the end, wouldn't it?
Old 14th September 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
Just thinking about it in general terms, it would seem that it would do best on a per track basis. When you track to tape, you are hitting the tape separately on each track, so the tape is reacting to each incoming track differently depending on how hard you hit it, the transient nature of the track, etc..., right? Then the sum of all those different reactions becomes the overall effect on playback.

It would seem that just putting in on the mix would be more equivalent to dumping to tape at the end, wouldn't it?
Yep.you treat it just like you would tape.
use it were you feel you need it.
Old 14th September 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
but the 827 compared to an 800 is anemic.
in general the 827 is sonically pretty bland if you ever get comparing.
except they do sound better than an 820........
now back to the anamod
totally agree.just really hard to find an 800 to compare it to.

Old 14th September 2009
Lives for gear

had the first wow moment last night. heh

Tried running some drums in parallel, which allowed me to overdrive it into oblivion. Input cranked and bias leaning towards negative on tape machine #2. At this point all significant transients are breaking up, gritty gritty. Then I just time aligned the recording, used one compressor to bring out the texture of the breakup and another to side chain compress when the original 'clean' transients hit.

Holyuyyyy fkn moses! this is a game changer! Depth like you wouldn't believe. It even takes sterile programmed drum tracks and makes them very interesting. It's more amazing than what the distressor does w/ room recordings, except now you don't need a room recording

btw if you want to explore and get a feel for all the tone controls on the ATS, I suggest messing around with it cranked and the bias torwards negative, it may sound like anarchy but you can really hear what everything is doing.
Old 15th September 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantlandau View Post
btw if you want to explore and get a feel for all the tone controls on the ATS, I suggest messing around with it cranked and the bias torwards negative, it may sound like anarchy but you can really hear what everything is doing.
you should get yourself a culture vulture too.
good for parallel drum destroy.
Old 15th September 2009
Lives for gear

nice, ya i want one of those, but i just put a dent in my current production budget so we'll wait for the next gig

meanwhile... the 351 card is on its way

wh00000000p!
Old 15th September 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
had the first wow moment last night. heh

Tried running some drums in parallel, which allowed me to overdrive it into oblivion. Input cranked and bias leaning towards negative on tape machine #2. At this point all significant transients are breaking up, gritty gritty. Then I just time aligned the recording, used one compressor to bring out the texture of the breakup and another to side chain compress when the original 'clean' transients hit.
Please, I don't want to hear that ****.. my credit card can't take it
Old 15th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you mind telling me why did you have to align the two takes?
Old 15th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
Do you mind telling me why did you have to align the two takes?
Probably 'cos he bounced in/out of a DAW.

Anamod of course has no latency as it's 100% analog.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

OK, so after I heard my mastering track processed by Anamod (thanks, Wim ...) I became quite restless ... It sounded too good and special ... gave it something "extra" that was beautiful, creamy and impressive ...

I quickly managed to arrange a unit coming to me for a trial ... But I should not have done that heh

I tried to process quite few different tracks through it, either standalone or as a part of mastering chain ... It almost always added something pleasant ... We also tried to process freshly recorded drums, drums and bass, drums/bass/guitar ... always gave something "wow" to it ... especially 351 card. Also more 3D as if.

I slowly got more familiar with various controls that make this unit VERY creative. I tried even to record my own acoustic instruments through it (classical guitar, monochord etc.), it always added very "aristocratic" velvety touch to them. When coming back to the straight recorded version (without Anamod), I felt it sounded a bit more "digital" and boxy ... Hmm ...

Sure it is not ideal for everything, but for something, it is quite beautiful

I should not have borrowed it

Seems I am going to bankrupt )

May I have few question for experienced users ? (I have never used a real tape)

1) What is actually BIAS and the basic point of this control in principle ?

2) What other cards are presently available except those two default and 351 ? Any possible short description of them ? Any other especially worth getting ? I cannot see anything about it at the anamod site ?

3) What influence should be expected from a) tape speed b) tape formula ?

4) Do you use some extra input /output gain for extra "drive" or saturation (even with meters going to the red ?). Does it basically mean more input and less output ?

So far I have not notice any extra self-noise (I was a bit afraid of it). Maybe it is because I don't drive I/O much ? (with meters not crossing the red line)

Thanks in advance for your sharing
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
totally agree.just really hard to find an 800 to compare it to.

I think the Bomb Factory one is in storage in LA if you're interested.

/Dave
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
ISedlacek Any possible short description of them ? Any other especially worth getting ? I cannot see anything about it at the anamod site ?
When I purchased my Anamod this past summer, Greg sent me an email describing the recording simulation from least to most colored in the following order:

Studer A800
3M M79
ATR-102
Ampex 351
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Amels View Post
I think the Bomb Factory one is in storage in LA if you're interested.

/Dave
Ha!.Thanks for the offer Dave..no time though.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce 225 View Post
When I purchased my Anamod this past summer, Greg sent me an email describing the recording simulation from least to most colored in the following order:

Studer A800
3M M79
ATR-102
Ampex 351
I'd flip M79 and A800.

/Dave
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Anyone tried ATR 102 card ? Is it the same exceptional as Ampex 351 and worth getting or not so much ?
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
Anyone tried ATR 102 card ? Is it the same exceptional as Ampex 351 and worth getting or not so much ?
if you've ever heard a real 102 and like what that sounds like it's worth getting the card IMO.

sounds very different from the 351. the 351 and A800 we use for tracking. if we use the anamod on stereo buss, it's with the ATR102.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
if you've ever heard a real 102 and like what that sounds like it's worth getting the card IMO.

sounds very different from the 351. the 351 and A800 we use for tracking, and if we use the anamod on stereo buss, it's with the ATR102.
Thanks ... No, I have never worked with any tape machine So far I use 351 for basically everything. I find the other two a bit plain ... So it seems 102 is worth getting. Hmm, why these two (351 and 102) are not installed default ... or all four cards ... for such a price ...
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

Hey,

The ATR 102 is a must have Card. It has a larger than Life Sound. i Love the
30 ips with a round bass , warm mids and sweet highs. The sound has a bit of 1073. Very Cool for 2bus and Masterung.

The 102 is the best Anamod Card

Cheers

Marc
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

Here is a link with ATR 102 soundsamples. Sorry for the Crap Fireface-Converter.
Now i have the lovly 8x192 Myteks

Anamod atr 102 card = love !
Old 12th November 2009
Engagement Manager

couldn't say that it's not worth getting though i doubt it's going to grab you at first in the way the 351 did most people
to my ears it's much more subtle and closer to the stock cards (in a good way though)
Old 13th November 2009
The stock cards didn't really get me. But the 102 card did for sure... seems to add just "enough". More usable on a day to day basis for me than the 351, although the 351 is cool too.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVP View Post
Everyone seems to really like the 351. I found that it is initially pleasing but it is too colored for my taste. The high end breaks up too easy and the low end can get boomy (in a nice way though). It's just too much for 2 track mastering. I can't think of many times I would use this machine. It could be really nice on bass guitar or maybe softsynths or drum loops. That will be my next series of tests.

The M79 was nice on the stereo bus. But I preferred the Studer for individual tracks. Nothing more to report here.

As far as the tape formulas go, I liked the 456 better than the G9. I found the 456 has more harmonically rich mids. The G9 was smoother and seemed to have less grit. So I would see myself using the G9 if I wanted something a little cleaner for a pop song. But I'm sure I'll just stick to the 456. What's the Scotch 111 like if anyone has used it?
See that is the beauty of the ATS-1, you can use the 351 on kick, OH, etc., Studer for VOX, ATR-102 for mixdown, etc., etc.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Guru

Ivo,get ALL the cards..[including the Scotch emu].
love tracking through the 102 & 351

Old 13th November 2009
Gear Guru

Gritty,vintage,overdrives faster-cool
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ivo,get ALL the cards..[including the Scotch emu].

OK heh 102 will arrive next week, Scotch few days later
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
OK heh 102 will arrive next week, Scotch few days later
thumbsup
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear
I was too lazy to use it on single tracks ... but will try it soon !
Love it and can't wait to hear the ameqp ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search