The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stereo reverb with DAWS?
Old 2nd May 2003
Gear Head

Stereo reverb with DAWS?

In my protool-MIX+ setup, i have three I/O- A prism ADA-8, Apogee Ad8k and a 888/24. I am planning to use the 888 AES I/O for FX send & return with my Lexicon 960L(AES only model); the other I/Os will be used for analog Summing.

If you guys had read my previous post on "Delay with DAW" You would know that I am planning to get the KSP-8 FX BOX. So, here comes my questions--when working with a 960 or the M6000 stereo reverb, what's is your normal practice in the routing:

use 4 Stereo AES In for the 960, or

use 4 mono AES in (mono-> stereo setting as alot of us would use in the 480 2-machine setting) this setting would save 4 AES input for other FX with AES
I/O.

I have try a few times during mixing (acoustic guitar/vocal music), using a mono send and stereo send to the 960. Of course, there is a subtle differences in the localization of the sound. I am doubted that the same info carry to a denser/more busy arrangment.

Anyway, just want to see what your preferencein mixing? Stereo reverb or trade off for more AES I/O?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!

Rainchild
Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Stereo reverb with DAWS?

How would one go splitting a stereo AES into two mono channels?

I thought by definition AES was a stereo pair, and the four AES outputs (as well as the inputs) on the back of the 888 or 192 interfaces are labeled: 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8.

I didn't know there was a way to split them into two mono sends or returns. But then again, there's a lot that I don't know!
Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

I am guessing that he means that on the 960 you can have input one and two either be engine one steeo in or engine one and two mono ins? IF that is possible, then you answered your own question, there is a diffrence, it is up to you if there is enough of a diffrence. I change how I use my external effects every other day depending on what I need, but if I had the option, I am guessing I would run true stereo most of the time.

Cheers!
Old 3rd May 2003
I bet you can split things up many ways.

what I do

Stereo send
L - Engine 1 TC M3000
r - Engine 2 TC M3000
BACK INTO DAW

Mono send - Eventide DSP 4000
BACK INTO DAW

Mono send - analog out to AMS RMX 16

Mono sends various delay plug ins
IN DAW

I can sed analog out ALL my internal DAW stereo FX returns down ONE analog output.
Old 3rd May 2003
i can not really contribute to your question but i have one for you:

how did you clocked your converters because you have different units, apogee, prism and digidesign?

i'd like to know because i'm going to buy also new converters and i've thought to buy also different units!

regards deft:::
Old 3rd May 2003
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by deft_bonz
i can not really contribute to your question but i have one for you:

how did you clocked your converters because you have different units, apogee, prism and digidesign?

i'd like to know because i'm going to buy also new converters and i've thought to buy also different units!

Besides the above units, I ,in fact, use Hedd192 for most of my tracking. I only record Drums once in a while. Most of the time I am recording two tracks only. Normally I would use my Hedd as master clock-->word clk in of AD8000, then from the slave clock out of the AD8k--->888 slave clk in. I hope I have answer your question. To add to my answer, I found that i am treating AD more like Preamp amps. For different stuff, I would have a specific choice of Preamp, compressors, and AD too.

A question for jules, acoording to the setup you listed. I guess you don't use actual Stereo reverb program. You are happy with MONO --> stereo .....a pseudo stereo Reverb, right?

Rainchild.
Old 4th May 2003
thanks rainchild !

back to the topic:

i don't have a 960L (my dp/2 works as my main reverb machine), but i try always to have the main reverb as stereo in and out.

this way the pan position in reverb is maintained. and for special sounds/fx like wild spaces, ultra long reverbs with phasing etc i do it mono in stereo out.

Old 5th May 2003
Here for the gear

If you are sending a mono sound source to the 960L have you tried to use the mono in stereo out configuration? This way you let the box give you the spread of verb on your mono source.
Old 5th May 2003
Here for the gear

The 960L can be routed to any input or any output either AES or Analogor both. You can send Channel 1 as a mono send and Channel 2 as a mono send to the same engine. The 960L has a single DSP card installed as standard which has the ability to create 4 stereo machines (the equivalent of (2) 480's) or 2 surround machines. You can add a second DSP card doubling the horsepower (8 stereo machines or 4 surround machines). There is a 4 mono in 8 stereo out configuration within the box.

Asking as how to route the box, seeing it's flexible routing and not fixed you can hook up the 4 AES sends and 4 AES returns and then decide internally where you want each to go. The algorithms are based on stereo so if your in let's say the 4 stereo machine configuration dealing with machine 1 you wnat to create a mono in stereo out from that you wouldn't want to just turn off the right side because then you'd only be hearing half of the algorithm. It's best to feed both L & R sends via input 1, it would appear as 1s (s means shared).

If you need more explanation let me know, I could go as deep into it as you wish...

Doug Marhoffer
Lexicon
Los Angeles
Old 5th May 2003
Lexicon in da house!

I am using all mine as mono in, stereo out reverbs.

Old 6th May 2003
Here for the gear

One point I forgot to mention, when the box is configured for mono in stereo out it's utilizing an algorithm made specifically for that configuration. Before the mono/stereo config was introduced into the box the way of achieving it was summing the inputs within the stereo in stereo out config.

Now if your in AES 1-2 input with the mono/stereo config you can send AES1 to send 1 on machine 1 and AES2 to send 2 on machine 2. This is just an example, any input can be routed to any output..

Just curious, question to all the 960 owners...what would you like to see the box do next?

Doug Marhoffer
Lexicon
Old 6th May 2003
Here for the gear

Just to set the stage for Jules and the thread...

every software release since the introduction of the 960L has come through asking our users feature sets they'd like to see..

Current version is 4.0

Reverbs - (mono, stereo, surround) 44.1K-96K

Delays - (mono, stereo, surround) 44.1K-96K

Full Automation - (midi time code based) program.preset. parameter changable & storable

Logic 7 Upmix - stereo extraction software - 2 to 5 channel

What would help you...could be new feature or refine exsiting feature...

Thanks

Doug Marhoffer
Lexicon
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

maybe a weird suggestion but something in the dynamics / eq field .... hardly lexicon domain I know but still ... would like to see it I guess.

Doug, check your pm ... just sent you one.
Old 8th May 2003
Here for the gear

Good suggestion, stay tuned..

I think you'll be pleased very soon heh

Doug
Old 8th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by dougsthang'
I think you'll be pleased very soon heh

yea baby yea

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search