The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which of these LDC's would you recommend? Condenser Microphones
Old 25th July 2009
Lives for gear

Which of these LDC's would you recommend?

Hello

I'm in the market for one large diaphram condenser which will be used almost exclusively for vocals, perhaps acoustic guitars and front of drums, but it must excel on vocals

For a good reason, I have a limited choices in brands, which are:

Blue
Neumann
Microtech Gefell
Soundelux
Wunder

Budget is up to AU$4000

Current mics are:

Beyer M201
Coles 4038
AEA R92
AKG D112, C1000, C418
sE Z5600A II, 4A
Sennheiser 421, 441, e902, e906
Shure SM57, SM58
Old 25th July 2009
Lives for gear

After much (more) reading, I probably shouldn't have even posted in the first place
For future readers, here are some threads which may help:

CM7gt, Soundelux u95s or e47????
U47 vs. U67 vs. Telefunken U47M vs. Wunder CM7 - Audio Samples
Soundelux E47 or Wunder CM7 GT
Wunder CM7 GT - yep, another K47 vs M7 thread

I'm personally leaning towards the Wunder CM7-GT M7 at this point
Old 25th July 2009

you got a price on one? I know of a new one in NZ for a good price

matt
Old 25th July 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks Matt, a price hasn't been settled on yet, no

It's a small part of a large purchase, every bit I bump it up helps both myself and them, so it's a win win as it stands

Thanks for the heads up though, hopefully someone jumps on it!
Old 25th July 2009
Gear Guru

Of those brands, Gefell or Wunder, no question.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 25th July 2009
Lives for gear

gefell umt800 or gefell um900..

amazing mics, both.
Old 25th July 2009
Lives for gear

I bought a KIWI then a BLUE bottle and all the vocal caps -

I could never get "that" sound I wanted, Peter Gabriel "Here comes the flood"
"Every Breath You Take" kinda thing.

Sold all the Blues - bought a Wunder CM7 and bing ..... that dream vocal sound.

I love that thing, best mic I have ever sung into bar none

I do regret selling the BLUE KIWI though as it was a really useful mic.

TMY
Old 26th July 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info TMY, glad you're happy with your choice! Is yours a GT? which capsule?

Cheers Teddy, UM900 is pretty much double what I wanted to spend.. I'll look more into the UMT800, but at first glance it seems like a pretty clean mic. not a bad thing, but not particularly what I'm look for at this stage either
Old 26th July 2009
Lives for gear

Easy....

Spring for the following two mics:

• Gefell UMT-70S. (Transformerless, U87 Killer. Multi-pattern workhorse. Works on anything. ANYTHING.)

• Wunder CM-7GT (with M7 capsule). (Tube, 47-esque tone. Robust. Multi-pattern. Loverly.)

You can get anything done with those two mics.

Best of luck.

D.
Old 26th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Cardan View Post
Thanks for the info TMY, glad you're happy with your choice! Is yours a GT? which capsule?

Cheers Teddy, UM900 is pretty much double what I wanted to spend.. I'll look more into the UMT800, but at first glance it seems like a pretty clean mic. not a bad thing, but not particularly what I'm look for at this stage either

ah! well, then... the Gefell M92.1 is really amazing, smooth, plenty of vibe, and built like a brick *&$%house.

I love it.
Old 26th July 2009
Lives for gear

IMO, this one is easy.

If you want great sound, the best mic price/performance ratio on the planet, the choice is simple:

Bees Neez Microphones

You could get an Arabella and a James or something else from BeesNeez (maybe an edge terminated capsule based mic if Ben will make one). For a little more than your budget you could possibly come close to getting all three.

I can only say this: This is exactly what I did and I have not been happier with ANY purchases in my musical life.

The Bees Neez are meticulously made, beautiful sounding mics - and in the case of my edge terminated capsule, Cinemag 2461NICO transformer, subminiture mic....UNIQUE. FWIW, I think the James is unique too and the Arabella is just gorgeous.....a lot of old world character that is a bit hifi in it's own way....with modern versatility.

So, this is a no brainer IMHO:
Great sound
Versatile
Excellent value...

....and they happen to be made down under.

You won't be able to sell the z5600 fast enough.......

FWIW, for those in the US, like myself, once the mics were shipped, they arrived in 5 days (I live on the east coast), about the same amount of time as shipping coast to coast here in the states (apparently Australia Post and the USPS make a good team).

Buy the Bees Neez(s?) - you just can't go wrong.
Old 26th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGuitrst View Post
ha! Tried that already.. seems hard to basically even give stuff away on ebay these days! I tried for less than half retail and no takes (although about 20 watchers). It's barely worth selling, at this point I'd rather have it modified and leave it at the front of the kit.
Definitely NOT a high-end vocal mic by any means.. far from it. Some nasty stuff going on around 1 - 2.5KHz

I was in fact thinking most definitely that a the Beez Neez Arabella would be the next purchase down the track, but unfortunately it's simply not an option at this point.

The whole reason like I said is the mic will be part of a large purchase from a local supplier, and the whole amount paid in installments, so to take advantage of this situation I can only work with the brands specified above (those carried by the supplier)

I have no doubt the Beez Neez are great though

Out of curiousity - and I know you can never have enough of anything - are the Arabella and CM7-GT quite similar? or different altogether? similarly with the Gefell UM-92.1S ?

At this point, i can really only accommodate the addition of one mic, and it pretty much must be a top notch vocal mic...

I kindly appreciate all the suggestions so far
Old 26th July 2009
AB3
Lives for gear

Lee - if you look in the classified there is a Wunder CM7 for sale (if it has not sold yet.) Anyway, Syra posted some soundfiles of the mic compared to a "real" 47 mic. Maybe that might help you make a decision. (Though you never know until the mic is in your own environment, the particular vocal, etc.)

Though personally, I think it is hard to go wrong with a Wunder CM7.
Old 26th July 2009
Lives for gear

Unfortunately I've only used that Wunder mic once. Good god that thing is amazing. Of all the new modern mics I've used, and then lived with after the mix, that's the only one I've looked back to besides the Soundelux 251 where I heard some real magic going on.
Old 27th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus77 View Post
Easy....

Spring for the following two mics:

• Gefell UMT-70S. (Transformerless, U87 Killer. Multi-pattern workhorse. Works on anything. ANYTHING.)

• Wunder CM-7GT (with M7 capsule). (Tube, 47-esque tone. Robust. Multi-pattern. Loverly.)

You can get anything done with those two mics.

Best of luck.

D.
...and those are my two go-to condenser mics at home, EXACTLY

+1000
Old 5th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGuitrst View Post
IMO, this one is easy.

If you want great sound, the best mic price/performance ratio on the planet, the choice is simple:

Bees Neez Microphones

You could get an Arabella and a James or something else from BeesNeez (maybe an edge terminated capsule based mic if Ben will make one). For a little more than your budget you could possibly come close to getting all three.

I can only say this: This is exactly what I did and I have not been happier with ANY purchases in my musical life.

The Bees Neez are meticulously made, beautiful sounding mics - and in the case of my edge terminated capsule, Cinemag 2461NICO transformer, subminiture mic....UNIQUE. FWIW, I think the James is unique too and the Arabella is just gorgeous.....a lot of old world character that is a bit hifi in it's own way....with modern versatility.

So, this is a no brainer IMHO:
Great sound
Versatile
Excellent value...

....and they happen to be made down under.

FWIW, for those in the US, like myself, once the mics were shipped, they arrived in 5 days (I live on the east coast), about the same amount of time as shipping coast to coast here in the states (apparently Australia Post and the USPS make a good team).

Buy the Bees Neez(s?) - you just can't go wrong.
Bens even releasing a u67 based mic soon for about $2150. I cant wait to hear it.

I love my James.
Old 5th August 2009
Lives for gear

Easy. It's the Wunder.
Old 5th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Easy. It's the Wunder.

yes, it is Wunder-ful to have all these companies attempting to clone old microphones. wunder-ful that there are no new ideas....just rewarming of old ones. heh

the simpson microphone, for example...singularly weird, ugly as hell, but sounds really great...and a new concept!
Old 5th August 2009
Lives for gear

I've been reading up on the Wagner u47

Any comments?
I'm in Australia, i'm wondering what the waiting list is on one of these, and the price
Old 5th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
yes, it is Wunder-ful to have all these companies attempting to clone old microphones. wunder-ful that there are no new ideas....just rewarming of old ones. heh
And so these "new" ideas will introduce an all new level of sound quality? Seems to me all these "new" ideas haven't trumped technology developed over half a century ago. With all the "new" mics, I have yet to hear anything better for acoustic guitar than a KM54, developed 55 years ago. What trumps the universal greatness of a U47 or C12 or 251? Let me guess... Klaus Heyne's Brauner? A C800? Right... Great mics, but are they better???
Old 5th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been reading up on the Wagner u47

Any comments?
I'm in Australia, i'm wondering what the waiting list is on one of these, and the price
If you've been reading up on it then you should know the skinny. Their made as closely to a new original 47 as you'll get in today's market. Everyone raves about them.
Old 5th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
If you've been reading up on it then you should know the skinny. Their made as closely to a new original 47 as you'll get in today's market. Everyone raves about them.
Yep, that's about where my knowledge stops
Hence the question

price, and availability ?
Old 5th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
price, and availability ?
I swear I didn't see that the first time... Did you add it? OK, I'm losing it then.

Availability may be bad news, but I have to defer to others for that. I thought they were all gone, or close to it, due to the extinction of certain parts. Maybe he has made some exceptions and used substituted parts...???
Old 5th August 2009
Lives for gear

lol nah it was there

I tried calling him today but he's off livin it up, or something. He gets back on the 20th. I'll let you know what I find out. Hopefully I can still swing something!
Old 10th August 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
lol nah it was there

I tried calling him today but he's off livin it up, or something. He gets back on the 20th. I'll let you know what I find out. Hopefully I can still swing something!
i spoke to gunter a couple of months ago and im pretty sure he said he was heading over to germany to visit family and a few company factories (including neumann). he also mentioned he was nearing the end of original components required to build the U47w, and was hoping to source more supplies when overseas.

so to answer the availability / price question:

pretty rare / around AUD 8k + (i think?)
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear
Get a pair of 87s!
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

Hey man,

If I were in Australia, I would not hesitate to look into getting a Wagner U47w.
If you email him, he's very good at replying and will provide all the info you need, pricing, availability, etc..

Good luck

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search