The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TC 2290 EPROM: Can it be copied? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 22nd July 2009
Gear Head

TC 2290 EPROM: Can it be copied?

I have the good fortune to own a TC 2290 digital delay with EPROM 29.12, and I own a second 2290 with EPROM 29.07. I would like to "upgrade" the second unit to the 29.12 EPROM, as that operating system allows the 2290 to perform deep modulation, double sampling time and other unique features. Unfortunately, T.C. Electronic no longer provides nor supports the 29.XX operating system. Is it possible to copy or clone the one 29.12 EPROM for use in my second machine? While I have researched EPROM burners, I know very little about how the process actually works.
Old 22nd July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditabeardmemo View Post
I have the good fortune to own a TC 2290 digital delay with EPROM 29.12, and I own a second 2290 with EPROM 29.07. I would like to "upgrade" the second unit to the 29.12 EPROM, as that operating system allows the 2290 to perform deep modulation, double sampling time and other unique features. Unfortunately, T.C. Electronic no longer provides nor supports the 29.XX operating system. Is it possible to copy or clone the one 29.12 EPROM for use in my second machine? While I have researched EPROM burners, I know very little about how the process actually works.
Assuming the EPROM is in a socket it's trivial to copy. Any burner that supports the specific device and package should have the facility to read and copy the EPROM. There are some specialized devices that have anti-copy features built in, but I doubt that yours is anything but a plain vanilla EPROM.

If it's soldered to the board it may be in-circuit programmable which makes things a bit harder. At that point you have to figure out the physical programming interface, which may be tricky.

If socketed, just borrow, rent or buy a programmer, insert the device, do a copy and burn the new device. The manual for the burner should walk you through the steps.

Good Luck,

John
Old 16th April 2011
Gear Addict

I don't suppose anyone has had any luck with this? I would love an updated EPROM for my 2290... I'm using version 27.04!
Old 16th April 2011
Lives for gear

Why don't you guys just ask TC Electronics ?
They'll tell ya...
I remember asking Lexicon the same question about V4.1 eproms for the 480L after they dropped support, they told me it was just not possible because the Eproms had a Lexicon proprietary security code.
Old 16th April 2011
Lives for gear

Call TC
Ed Simion might be able to tell you....I have the same 2290 that needs the update.I remember that certain units qualified and certain units did not depending on the sample board.I think mine is SA01 --SA09 Or something oh....my foggy brain.
Old 17th April 2011
Lives for gear

Depends on the vintage of the EPROM.

For example blank EPROM ICs for the low density EPROMs like 2532, 2708, 2716, and 2732 are just not available anymore. Some of the of oddball ones like 2532 of 2708 use a weird programming algorithm that few programmers can implement.
Old 3rd March 2019
Here for the gear
Anyone managed to copy and upgrade the TC2290 eprom??

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search