The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
500 series pre for a lead DI bass sound...yes, lead bass 500 Series Preamps
Old 18th July 2009
Gear Addict

500 series pre for a lead DI bass sound...yes, lead bass

Hi all-

I am taking the wonderful dive into a 500 series lunch box. I am looking for a pre that would be specifically catered to recording lead bass--think New Order/Peter Hook here. I am part of a synth/pop/electro duo and my bass player plays mostly lead riffs and melodies with lots of chorus, fuzz, etc..... I am looking for a pre that will cater to this--something fast and sweet in the high end registers. Based on some audio clip comparisons I've listened to I've got my eyes on the Juggernaut 500. Seems like the THD and boost of this pre would be especially good for the high harmonics....

Any thoughts on this...?
Old 21st July 2009
Gear Addict

Bump...?
Old 21st July 2009
Gear Maniac

if you think of any song where the bass jumped out and did a "lead" you would most likely find that the pre was the same as on the console that the rest of the LP was cut with

add compression, eq and maybe an outboard floor pedal or two and you are pretty much done

if you have your eye on the juggernaut, the specs look as good as any, if not better than most

if you want to do some detective work find out what consoles the New Order stuff used, but at the end of the day, your creativity and playing skills will trump all
Old 21st July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambro View Post
if you think of any song where the bass jumped out and did a "lead" you would most likely find that the pre was the same as on the console that the rest of the LP was cut with

add compression, eq and maybe an outboard floor pedal or two and you are pretty much done

if you have your eye on the juggernaut, the specs look as good as any, if not better than most

if you want to do some detective work find out what consoles the New Order stuff used, but at the end of the day, your creativity and playing skills will trump all
the 512c module is a pretty damn good one on bass(and kick as well). Its super punchy, almost too punchy on mid-heavy sources, but that seems to work well with bringing bassy sources to the front more. I'd say add a good compressor and you've got a winner.
Old 21st July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl2112 View Post
the 512c module is a pretty damn good one on bass(and kick as well). Its super punchy, almost too punchy on mid-heavy sources, but that seems to work well with bringing bassy sources to the front more. I'd say add a good compressor and you've got a winner.
The Juggernaut will be more punchy or more soft, the user's choice depending on how it's set.
Old 21st July 2009
Gear Addict

+1 GREAT RIVER MP-500NV for sure.

Great river D.I Input is fantastic for bass.
Old 21st July 2009
Gear Maniac

Purple Biz in "dual" mode....crank the input and back off the output until you get some sweet transformer saturation.
Old 22nd July 2009
Gear Maniac

I always thought the Juggernaut bass demo sounded great.

Shame Nathan wouldn't let me come and pick one up when I was in Florida...
Old 22nd July 2009
Here for the gear

either mooktronics...

or the tube pres like roll tubule or 538 chappelles
Old 22nd July 2009
Here for the gear

an api 512 to a 525
Old 22nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Old 22nd July 2009
Gear Guru

I still use the Elixir but if I want the sound you are looking for my Studer 089s are the best for that, you get the perfect Grand Funk bass sound and more.
Old 22nd July 2009
Gear Head

have you guys seen the new "amp" from electro harmonix... makes me wonder when we will see a 500 series (maybe 2 space) guitar or bass amp. anybody else think that would be hella cool?

EHX.com | 22 Caliber - Power Amp | Electro-Harmonix
Old 22nd July 2009
500 series nutjob

i like the DI on the Great River MP-500NV and the LaChapell 583s.
i like the LaChapell 83 on guitar a LOT so i would probably lean that direction for lead bass, but i have never done lead bass so?
Old 30th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaster1 View Post
have you guys seen the new "amp" from electro harmonix... makes me wonder when we will see a 500 series (maybe 2 space) guitar or bass amp. anybody else think that would be hella cool?
The thing about power amps is that they amplify power and therefore require input power. You can do a lot with the 3W available in a 500-series module but what you can't do is spit out more than 3W of audio power to a speaker.
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

Great River DI is great sounding on El Bass and el gtrs but if you are going for reamping than Little labs or MW-1 is better for this purpose.
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

I'd go with the 512b. Nice and tight on bass.

You might want to do some experimenting with movable sound abosorbtion walls around the bass amplifier. I've had great results in my room eonclosing the front of the bass amp with two panels. Makes it nice and tight. Try that with a sm57 and you'll get some sweet results.

Erik
Old 7th August 2009
Gear Head

+1 for api 512 or GR 500-NV

Both are awesome.
Old 8th August 2009
Gear Head

Avedis+JDI

Avedis MA5 with JDI DI

for me the best combination for low frequencies.
Old 8th August 2009
Gear Addict

Hey all-

Thanks for all the suggestions, input and feedback--much appreciated. I've got an API 512 in the 500 rack now and a Juggernaut on the way...!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search