The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Poll: tape choice...
View Poll Results: Your usual 2" tape choices? Multiple answers are possible.
Quantegy/Ampex GP9
10 Votes - 62.50%
Quantegy/Ampex 499
4 Votes - 25.00%
Quantegy/Ampex 456
3 Votes - 18.75%
Emtec 900
7 Votes - 43.75%
Emtec 911
2 Votes - 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st May 2003
Capitol Studios Paris

Poll: tape choice...

This one is by and for 2" tape users...let's hear what your preferred tape is. Feel free to post below on your reasons why...
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

Got a couple of bad batches of GP9 that turned me away for good. The QC seems better at Emtec, for now anyway.
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

EMTEC for me. I started using it after 996 went away. I lean toward 900 most of the time, but I've also used 911 for some things. I always had a hard time with the sound of 499, and the EMTEC folks were really cool about letting me test some of their products out when I was searching for a new tape to use.

Cheers,
John
Old 2nd May 2003
One with big hooves

I said 900, 911 and GP9. I'm still trying to figure out what I like as house tape. The 900 is almost too clean for me, 911 sounds like 456 with a slightly different upper mid, a little more clear and not as mushy. GP9 would be killer if I didn't keep getting stock with creases and other bullshit. I'm starting a new project on Monday with SM911 and I can't wait.
Old 3rd May 2003
Capitol Studios Paris

It's about 50/50 between GP9 and Emtec 900 over here. I have not experienced any quality problems with either...but if a dealer ever delivers us a bad batch, he will have to exchange it or lose our business in a hurry.

The problem with the Emtec stuff is that it's getting very difficult to get it in sufficient quantities in Europe because the factory is hardly producing anything, if it's not shut down. I hope the situation improves. If Emtec stops making analog tape, there will no longer be any competition in the marketplace.

We go through 10-20 reels per month...enough to qualify for a nice quantity rate...makes a big difference.
Old 3rd May 2003
Capitol Studios Paris

How's the Emtec 900 supply situation in the US? You guys having any trouble getting it?
Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

Although I don't honestly use tape as much as I used to, it's GP9 whenever possible and I haven't encountered any "bad batch" symptoms with it. Plus, I SO miss the sound (and smell) of 996 -- IMO, GP9 is as close to "home" in that regard as is possible.. I had similar feelings (as Paterno) regarding the sound of 499, except that before GP9 became available we experimented and found the 499 worked pretty well on an MTR-90mkII when aligned to +6/185... Good enough that it become our house-stock for a while, but it still made me miss 996.

There was also a tape by Zonal that a rep brought us demo-stock of a few years ago .. yet another tape-stock with a 3-digit number designation starting with "9" (may have been "999") .. Anyway, I thought it was pretty nice stuff, but the rep disappeared, and I'm not sure they even make the stuff anymore. Anyone know what happened there?

-dave
Old 3rd May 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by jon
How's the Emtec 900 supply situation in the US? You guys having any trouble getting it?
In Nashville, we've had no problems getting Emtec analog tape. We've had to wait for backordered 931 digital tape quite a few times. (up to a 6 weeks)
Old 5th May 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G
There was also a tape by Zonal that a rep brought us demo-stock of a few years ago .. yet another tape-stock with a 3-digit number designation starting with "9" (may have been "999") .. Anyway, I thought it was pretty nice stuff, but the rep disappeared, and I'm not sure they even make the stuff anymore. Anyone know what happened there?
I heard that Zonal went under a few years ago. Not sure if it's true but I haven't seen any new stock at any dealers.

Has anyone ever tried talking to Sony or Maxell and seeing if they'd get back into the pro-analog tape biz? They're still making video and cassette tape so it couldn't be that hard to roll out reels again. Or could it?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear