All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
2" tape does anyone still use it
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTinPanAll
thanx lou,

can i only use alcohol ?
i've got some aceton, that i use to clean gaffer from cables ...
and there's a bottle of cellulose thinner that i'm not sure of what that is for

many thanx

wim
Wow, look at those big spools of gaffers tape!
Old 23rd August 2005
I STILL use my 2" tapes everyday.

One stack supports a table and another is used to help keep the LP's from warping.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 24th August 2005
Lives for gear

great players today.....3 piece string section on to 2" 8 track
beautiful.....

at the end of the session, when i put on an lp,
the players were all astonished with the Evert Menting cut of Mancini's
"charade" - his vinyl rules........

if you like the bach cello suites , he did an amazing 100% analog cut
of the janos starker performance, that once again shows how are standards
are dwarfed by those of 40 years ago........
it sounds massive and rich........

be well

- jack
Old 24th August 2005
Gear Addict

well .................soon most people will be downloading and listening to their favorite song in the form of an MP3 and listening to it on their cell phone ........ the times they are a changing .
Old 24th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobe
well .................soon most people will be downloading and listening to their favorite song in the form of an MP3 and listening to it on their cell phone ........ the times they are a changing .
And some 'engineers' will apparently think that how most people get their music delivered (legal or otherwise) and what they listen to it on walking down the street has something to do with how to best record it.

How about a head report on that machine? Bill of sale proving personal ownership required.
Old 24th August 2005
Lives for gear

maybe halliburton will buy everyone in the country a nice turntable, cartridge
and phono pre just to sorta say thanks for the war...........

be well

- jack
Old 24th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
yea ... throw up a wav file ... if you guys are recording on your 2" everyday and then transferring to pro tools ... next time you record to the 2" bus the same signal to your HD rig then after you have transferred the 2" to HD throw up the 2 files and lets see how different the sound is .

Gravity8058 would you mind doing this .
Sobe brother I would love to but my Slutting is my release from 75 hr/week slaving behind these heat creating analog machines, and the last thing I want to think about is another (albiet small) project!

What I can say is that the most obvious benefit to me is on drums. I've tried recording drums direct to our Apogee/HD system and I want to like it--- I really do--- it would be Soooo much easier, but it doesn't sound acceptable to me. A famous drummer friend of mine described the sound of snare without Analog as a "nail in the forhead" I thought that was a really accurate description.

Another thought, if you're clients dont want to spring for the tape, let them use it and reuse the tape. If you have a good set of heads on your machine then you can reuse the tape a number of times without noticable loss.
Old 24th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058
Another thought, if you're clients dont want to spring for the tape, let them use it and reuse the tape. If you have a good set of heads on your machine then you can reuse the tape a number of times without noticable loss.
The last session I did I set it up so that I recorded to 2" and then on playback transferred to Protools. It was all patched in so the process was transparent. In fact, I also recorded to Protools while I was recording to 2", just in case...

We just kept reusing the same reel of tape.

I've also recorded drums straight to PT with great results. At least, I've been happy FWIW. The whole tape thing is different, and what we are used to, but I'm not sure it's objectively better.

-R
Old 24th August 2005
Gear Nut

Good old Valdemar Poulsen.

I'm getting an Ampex on Saturday.
Old 24th August 2005
Gear Nut

Mmmm... Ampex.
Old 24th August 2005
Gear Maniac

i use my studer as often as humanly possible. what a lovely, lovely, lovely sound on pretty much everything, but especially drums. i always record rock bands to tape, and i primarily record rock bands.
Old 26th August 2005
Gear Addict

Herbie has a new record ...and he recorded it with 2" this record is so hot ! thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup Christina Aguilera is singing her asssssss off !

http://www.herbiehancock.com/

you can listen to the whole thing here for free
http://www.rollingstone.com/artist/_...as-player=true
Old 26th August 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks Jay,

the sticky shed syndrome was indeed the keyword
i really learned a lot "googeling"
So : any 1975 - 1985 tapes --> always bake before use
approx. 8hrs at 55°C in pro-oven
problem fixed for about a month or so

Thx all ! back to the Qtips now
Old 26th August 2005
Lives for gear

Question

There was an article in TapeOp in the past about how you can benefit from an analogue "tape" sound simply by passing the signals through the tape record heads without actually printing the sounds to tape (just print the sounds in the digital domain). Has anyone tried this? Can you verify or refute its effectiveness? Thanks.
Old 26th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstone
There was an article in TapeOp in the past about how you can benefit from an analogue "tape" sound simply by passing the signals through the tape record heads without actually printing the sounds to tape (just print the sounds in the digital domain). Has anyone tried this? Can you verify or refute its effectiveness? Thanks.
I didnt see that article, but if you dont actually record and come off of the Repro head all you hear is the electronics ... why bother?

Are you sure it wasnt saying to record THROUGH the tape deck? Such that the signal is delayed by the Rec head/Repro head lag time?
Old 26th August 2005
Lives for gear

What I recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
I didnt see that article, but if you dont actually record and come off of the Repro head all you hear is the electronics ... why bother?

Are you sure it wasnt saying to record THROUGH the tape deck? Such that the signal is delayed by the Rec head/Repro head lag time?
I believe the gist was you just arm the tracks to record w/o printing to tape, take the tape machine output into the digital domain.
Old 26th August 2005
Gear Nut

I vaguely remeber that article... I think the just of it was you record to the tapemachine but you take the signal of the playback head on the fly and then patch it in to the daw. I do this quite often with my mono 1/4 Ampex Ag440b... works quite nice.
Old 26th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
my mind is not made up .. but I am lazy when it comes to rolling out my old 2" , I just thought if someone here was recording like this every day they could throw up a link to a couple of files so we can all hear this difference . I just find it hard to believe that most of the 2" machines are just sitting gathering dust in most major studios while people are tracking to HD rigs if the sound is that different .

From what I've seen and been told, MOST major studios in this town ARE running TAPE. Routinely! Like...Sunset Sound for instance. That's pretty major if you ask me.
Jason
Old 26th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom

what's weird here is how it's evolving from one or two takes on tape vs five on pro tools
to one or two on tape vs twenty takes on pro tools..................

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
Lazyness

A lack of pressure

Lowered performance standards

Uninspring digital playbacks

Yea, digital is the best

Lucey,
You're my hero today.

Jason
Old 26th August 2005
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystical
I vaguely remeber that article... I think the just of it was you record to the tapemachine but you take the signal of the playback head on the fly and then patch it in to the daw.
Really?!?

Because it doesn't work like that...the record head can't print and playback at the same time. It's doing either one function or the other...so on most machines listening (or patching etc.) off the record head while the tracks are armed, you're getting the signal before it hits tape.

You're only getting the record electronics, and I guess if you like the sound or whatever that's totally valid...

But that's not hitting tape.
Old 27th August 2005
Gear Nut

I think you misunderstood my post... I record to tape and while it is recording take the signal of the playback head. There is a delay but I just realign things in the daw. Maybe I don't remeber the article correctly but thats what I do mostly when tracking my guitars at home. However I have run signals thru the Ampex electronics and enjoyed the sound. I'm guessing it's the transformers in that thing.
Old 27th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058
Which brings up another question, realistically, how many times can you reuse 2" tape ?
Old 27th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix
Which brings up another question, realistically, how many times can you reuse 2" tape ?
until it literally sheds off.

sticky means shedding means losses.

no sticky, no shedding, no losses.

there's also a 1/2db loss of high end initially, thus the need to bump the record side +1/2.
Old 27th August 2005
Lives for gear

Is it me, or for the ast couple years has everything been +9 tape. I went a couple years off the RADAR of tape and in that time all the companies merged and changed the names of everything. What would a 456 lover use these days? I'd be afraid to buy 456 for fear of it having gotten pretty old since it was lst made. But what is the last +6 tape to be made? I have been using GP-9 for so long that I want to compare the old +6 tape.
Old 27th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyclueless
Is it me, or for the ast couple years has everything been +9 tape. I went a couple years off the RADAR of tape and in that time all the companies merged and changed the names of everything. What would a 456 lover use these days? I'd be afraid to buy 456 for fear of it having gotten pretty old since it was lst made. But what is the last +6 tape to be made? I have been using GP-9 for so long that I want to compare the old +6 tape.
I'm sure someone will disagree but I don't miss 456 at all. I think GP9 sounds great and I sure like the lower noise.
Old 27th August 2005
Gear Guru

I believe Quantegy is making new 456.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search