The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Another Royer 121 thumbs up
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Another Royer 121 thumbs up

Did a shoot out yesterday to get some sounds down for an upcoming project, so I picked up another 121 to try some different uses besides the obligatory guitar amp.

In the spirit of the "clean slate" thread in here I would have to say you can get 80% of your stuff done with a pair of 121's (Rock & Roll/blues genre etc).

They were marvelous on guitar amps (eveyone knows that already) worked great on O/H's worked great as room mics or FOK, worked great on acoustic, and if it was your only mic - you could do alot worse for vocals.

I've got about 20 mics to fool with, but if I was starting a budget project studio, I would start with a pair of these, a kick/bass mic, a 57, and a LDC. You'd be able to get some great sounds and versatility.
Old 22nd August 2005
Yep, just started using mine a few days ago and I LOVE it. Great mic.... and if you like the R121 you should check out the Coles 4040, another WOW experience.

I feel between these 2 mics I could cover an entire recording and not be skimping in any area. The 4040 has a more open on the top end and with the differences between the front and the back of the R121 I bet I would have a serviceable choice for any source with just these 2 mics in my locker.

Wish I could afford a stereo pair of each.
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

mmmm..

cool. I am saving for a Royer121. it's good to know that i can get a my that sounds really good on alot of sources. I want a 4040 too, but...man this gear is Xpensive.
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats
and if it was your only mic - you could do alot worse for vocals.
On my own voice I have not heard a better mic yet, the backside of the R-121 is just right. Have heard other voices sound amazing with it too, definitely don't underestimate it as a vocal mic. I own vintage Neumanns...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search