The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mixing console : between $3000 and $8000
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Mixing console : between $3000 and $8000

We try here to build up our own studio in Grenoble, France.
We currently have a good mic variety, and we have some good pres (Mindprint, soon API, BAE...). We also buy decent units for dynamics (Empirical Labs, Drawmer, DBX)

We need a recording and mixing console. Our budget is $3000 to $8000. Preamps must be decent and EQ as well. I know for that price range I won't have a Neve, but I also know that there are good consoles in those prices range.
We need at least 24 mono channels, and a sufficient number of busses, since the main application we'll dedicate to the console will be mixing (preamps will only be needed for secondary use).
We don't mind used or new gear, until we can try it.

I was thinking about : Neotek Elite (maybe too overpriced ?), Soundcraft TS24/TS12, Mackie 8 busses, Trident, MCI...

Do you have experiences in those consoles ? Do you have any advice on what to choose ? Do you know where I can get good prices for used/brand new consoles ? ...

Thank you.

Sly
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

love my neotek elan......just passing audio through the board makes it sound better!
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Nut

you might also want to take a look at the midas venice series..

and www.soundbroker.com are great people to buy used consoles from
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

AnalogUniverse, ron florentine : thanks for the answers ! That's exactly what I expected.

I know Midas Venice's reputation and i'm going to think about it. I guess the Neotek is clearly better, but the price is higher too. If I can get one used...

What to think about little Trident and API consoles ? (compared to the 2 already pointed out)
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Addict

You can get a Soundcraft 6000 for that price.
I've used the midas venis side by side with the soundcraft 6000 and I think they are equal in quality but the soundcraft has a bantam patch, tie lines, more sub groups... its more of a recording console then the midas. But the midas is much easyer to move thow.
Api or tridents would cost more or at that price would have major recaping to do.
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Neotek the best of that batch

Neotek...
For the money, you can't beat it!
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Addict

neotek's must be great but try to find one in france tutt
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Addict

Take a look at funky junk france, they've got some good used consoles for sale now.
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Interested in my Siemens C4
8 mono channels , 8 stereo channels with M/S matrix on each stereo channel.
4 main busses , each with limiter, etc......

A true vintage console.
hey is Neve, not a Siemens partner ? thumbsup
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Guru

Another vote for Neotek here. Possibly even a Series III. You might find a used Elan in you budget.

Good Luck!
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Yes, I second that a neotek would be a great choice, but also since you are in Europe, D&R consoles go very great prices on the used market there. You could find a nice D&R Orion in that price range.
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Head

How about a Raindirk Sympohny LN2??

I saw one in Spain a few months ago for 6000 euros.
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

If you can find a 24+ channel API for $8000 or less, please let me know.

The Neoteks are excellent consoles. I might also recommend the Amek Angela and the Sony 3000-series consoles.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarges
If you can find a 24+ channel API for $8000 or less, please let me know.

if you can find *any* size api console for $8000 let me know .

gregoire
del ubik
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
gregoire
del ubik
I'll sell you a 3124M+ for $5k!

Chris
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

I bet you could find a 24 channel Studer console in Europe for $8000.
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

I have owned Mackie,two Soundcraft Ghost , a trident 24 and also the neotek Elan.............the Neotek is is a definate step above my other consoles......It has that large console sound I have been looking for............My buddy has a very large frame Neotek Elite ....like 9+ feet long...........we compared what was coming out of his console and what was coming out of my Elan and soniccally they were the same......he has more routing options and wide/narrow bandwidth adjustment that i dont have.....but our sound are identical.Spend the extra buckos and get a great sounding consoles......D&R are excellent console but very clean and neatral sounding......that could be a good or bad thing depending on your situation.MCI are also an option but can be maintence hungry.

Ron Florentine
Soundswest studio
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

If I was buying a neve kelso that was loaded with (10)3126, $8,000.00 US is a fair offer.
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k

gregoire
del ubik

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTOMATED-PROCES...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah, no EQ, though... kind of kills a large percentage of console usefulness...

I'd look for a Neotek, Sony 3000 series or an MCI. John Hardy makes replacement mic pre cards for the Sony and MCI desks.

Hell, why not try to find an Electrodyne, Sphere or Quad Eight while you're at it??

Seamus
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumblesound
Yeah, no EQ, though... kind of kills a large percentage of console usefulness...

I'd look for a Neotek, Sony 3000 series or an MCI. John Hardy makes replacement mic pre cards for the Sony and MCI desks.

Hell, why not try to find an Electrodyne, Sphere or Quad Eight while you're at it??

Seamus

thats what the rack of 550's and 560's are for

heh
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah, at the tidy, little price of $1k a pop!

The API is cool... but that's about it.

Seamus
Old 23rd August 2005
One with big hooves

There are tons of cool desks out there and none of 'em suck too badly, each has it's pluses and minuses. You'll need to factor shipping, wiring and bunch of the misc. stuff into the cost of the desk...plus any additional maintaince. And let's face it, most of the desks in the $10K and under bracket need a lot of work. Caps, switches, probably a total cleaning from pots & faders to the patchbays.

Neoteks are cool, Trident 65/24's have a bit more grind to them and sound good too. Maybe a Harrison MR-4 if you can deal with the maintence. I saw an MCI JH-6XX for sale a couple days ago at $3K. It'll need a lot of work (money!!!) to be reliable enough to make a record on, but once the work is done it'll run for another 10-20 years.
Old 23rd August 2005
Here for the gear

dont forget the amek angelas...great consoles(one of thier best), dont need lots of maintenance if they are looked after and are going for a reasonable price.
Old 23rd August 2005
Gear Guru

yar! i suppose, technically, that api qualifies as a console, but sans eq it's just a summing box with faders.

although they are very, very cool faders.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 23rd August 2005
Before you buy you should check the availability of parts and sevice. Otherwise, you could end up buying someone else's boat anchor.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 25th August 2005
Lives for gear

another vote for the D&R - the Orion is a neutral sounding desk with very low maintenance hours AND it's still in production in Europe!

Neotek is another nice desk and Mike is still building them.

It's hard enough to choose from those 2 - forget the others

(kidding)

Jo
Old 25th August 2005
Gear Nut

I have a 32 channel Trident 65 an personally I really dig it. I can't see outgrowing this console for awhile, havent tried the neotek though... https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newreply....te=1&p=406329#
Old 25th August 2005
Lives for gear

maybe you need something like this: heh
[IMG]C4.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Mixing console : between 00 and 00-c4.jpg  
Old 25th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre tchmil
maybe you need something like this: heh
[IMG]C4.jpg[/IMG]
Well, thats not sluty or anything...!

ERic

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search