The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Does the Smart C1 do...
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Does the Smart C1 do...

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a 2mix compressor. I've used the Manley Vari-Mu quite a bit and love it, but for only 1-2 db, after that it starts mushing up. I've used the Smart C2 and like it too, but it was on a rock project.

I do movie trailers and mix and master (usually with minutes to spare) my own stuff. So I need a versatile comp. Is there a comp that sonically falls somewhere between the Vari-Mu and the Smart comp. Also it need to be able to handle the more subtle orchestra stuff.

any ideas, other than buy 'em both. When I can afford 2 I will for sure.

I was considering:

Focusrite Red (I've heard that it adds a nice enhancement to the top end, but doesn't have to sound slick)
Smart C1 (I've read that it's more versatile than the C2)
Old 22nd August 2005
i would rent and try out a Cranesong STC-8 if you're looking for something that will get you more level in a transparent manner, and work on a lot of different program. I have a C1 and an STC-8... and for me that covers it for the most part. The C1/C2 are better for rhythmic-driven music where you want to pull the attack of the drums forward, adding "snap".... good for rock/ hip hop... but the STC-8 is just plain versatile. Neither one will do the Vari-mu glue/ sheen thing.... but the STC-8 is very good at handling music with a wide dynamic range. You could be getting 3-7 db reduction and not really hear it working as much. You can use it on almost any genre of music with great results, you really can't go wrong. I've heard 10 to 1 positive to negative comments on the Cranesong and I couldn't agree more.
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Guru

yes, the stc 8 has good glue, can be hit hard (or not) and adds some low end , sounds 'warm clean'

the new Fearn comp is similar action, but all tube

the tfpro p38 is cleaner path than even the stc8 and has 4 modes of compression action, some of which can be ssl types (with more fidelity), also optical, fet and a tf classic... it has a width control, and is less money too

requisite L2M maintains low end and is sweet and tubey
Old 25th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
the tfpro p38 is cleaner path than even the stc8 and has 4 modes of compression action, some of which can be ssl types (with more fidelity), also optical, fet and a tf classic... it has a width control, and is less money too
Get The P38 it totally Kicks major ass on the 2 bus! Thanks Brian for the recomendation! if your looking for glue this is the box.
Old 25th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael
Smart C1 (I've read that it's more versatile than the C2)
I would say the opposite is true. With the C2, you get extra ratios, extra attack and release settings, a side chain input, the 'crush' feature [which may be useful in a tracking situation], and a discrete balanced output, which sounds different than the C1 output stage.

Plus, if you are doing multi-channel surround mixes [which you may need for film trailers] there is a multi-channel version of the C2 available.

Smart Research

Your best bet, as always, is to check it out for yourself...

John

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search