The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
oh my gawd...the fatso.
Old 25th February 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave
Okay, 3 hints. What is someone were to make a bracket that alllowed Fatso and Distressor modules fit into the API 500 series? How cool would that be?

Tony you sly dog you.

-g
Old 25th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Okay, 3 hints. What is someone were to make a bracket that alllowed Fatso and Distressor modules fit into the API 500 series? How cool would that be?

Tony you sly dog you.

-g

Hi Gill,

I gotta start off by saying how much I absolutely LOVE my Fatso . But I'm really craving these mods that have been talked about for some time now. Any updates? Perhaps even getting some user suggestions based on what ideas you're THINKING of incorporating. thumbsup .

Many thanks in advance!
Old 25th February 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Music
I gotta start off by saying how much I absolutely LOVE my Fatso
Thank you. Dave and I love your Fatso too, and every single Benjamin you used to purchase it. You rock.

Quote:
But I'm really craving these mods that have been talked about for some time now. Any updates? Perhaps even getting some user suggestions based on what ideas you're THINKING of incorporating.
I feel your pain. Dave is a great design engineer, musician, producer and engineer. Let's review his accomplishments (condensed version):

late 70's/early 80's: Founder, performing member Delaware-based band Jack Of Diamonds. Several near-misses with major labels. Ditches band for a "real-world" job (surprise - girlfriend-at-the-time suggested it as something 'to fall back on'. Sound familiar?)

Stars are aligned, Dave applies for and is accepted for engineering gig at Eventide, Inc.

Befriends brilliant DSP engineer Ken Bogdonawicz and OS/Mainboard design guru Bob Belcher. An engineering triumvirate is established. 'Great things' appear on Eventide horizon, although nobody knows it yet.

Concurrent with Eventide gig, Dave sets up a nice studio in his Garfield, NJ 3-floor apartment. "Studio E" is born. Prophetically, the 'E' stands for 'Empirical". 16-track 2" tape machine and Ramsa console, MIDI and some new concept from a company called Digidesign allow for multi-track recording rivaling old-school recording studios. Dave's musician background and easy-going manner, combined with his proclivity for compositional guidance for aspiring rock and hip-hop artists make him a fave with local artists. Ultra-fat head width of his 16 track 2" matched with easily-saturated 2" tape make for huge bass and drum tracks.

Dave works with Ken and Bob (with some feedback from yours truly based on artist requests) on a 2-channel pitchshifter/DSP device to supplant mono H969 as Eventide's new premier Harmonizer.

2 weeks in advance of the 1987 AES show in New York, with some prodding from Steve Vai, Ken B pulls a rabbitt out of his ass and writes the code for what will become the Diatonic Pitch Shiift algorithm for the H3000 Ultra-Harmonizer. Dave Derr works up some reverb and chorus presets.

Fall 1987 - Eventide Marketing Director Joe Shapiro and yours truly work up the AES introduction of the industry's first stereo, Diatonic pitch shifter/effects processor with MIDI. On the second day of the AES show, the New York Stock Market crashes. Joe Shapirio whispers to me that "no one is going to spend $2300 on a pitch shifter if the economy tanks". Sweat pours off my brow. Dave Derr and Ken B and Bob B are oblivious, instead watching the reaction of audio engineers/musicians/producers and even competitors as they marvel at this amazing box. ART (remember them?) comes by for a demo, almost closes their booth as their new mono pitch shifer pales in comparison.

1988 - H3000 is a runaway sucess. Working with Vai, Bib Cleamountain, and some other industry luminaries, we all work together to develop the H3000-SE (Studio Edition) Ultra-Harmonizer. Dave writes more reverbs and killer-useful presets. Andrew Schelesinger shows us a cool reverse pitch shift with 1024 MS of delay and octave-up, regenerated back to the input. He calls it "Crystal Echos", I shamlessly demo it as if it was my idea and it helps sell gazillions or Harmonizers.

In the mean time, Dave's studio is BUSY. His clients are asking for 24 tracks. Dave makes the fateful decision to buy a 2" Otari 24 track, retiring his 16 track 2".

All the bottom end falls out. Dave analizes why, creates the Distressor to "put it back in". Originally designed just for his use, clients start asking what it is and how can they get one. A product, and a company, is born.

It took almost 2 years to get the Distressor off the ground. When it srated to become a success, and Dave and Ken and Bob and I had left Eventide, a new product was indicated.

Enter the FATSO Jr. Dave learned from the Distressor design that he could leave room for updates and upgrades (witness the Birtish Mode and Stereo Image Link).

The Fatso upgrades/mods are being discussed, finalized, tweaked, analized, and disucssed some more. We hope to have an announcement this Summer.

ELI is 11 years old now, and has 3 products out. Things take time at ELI, and you can't rush perfection. Be patient, all good things come to those who wait.

You will not be disappointed.

-gil
Old 25th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
holy hot dammit, gimme it and gimme it YESTERDAY!!!
Old 25th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
We hope to have an announcement this Summer.
You accidentally wrote "Summer" when you meant "next week", right?

I sure hope so...
Old 25th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Fatso upgrades/mods are being discussed, finalized, tweaked, analized, and disucssed some more. We hope to have an announcement this Summer.

...You will not be disappointed.

-gil

Can you hint at all what kinda mods we're talking about here?

Just a hint.

Please.

Fleaman
Old 25th February 2006
Lives for gear

Flea -- I think he gave us three hints on the previous page
Old 25th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman
Can you hint at all what kinda mods we're talking about here?

Just a hint.

Please.
Given the flexibility offered by the potential mods (as per e-mail conversations with DD and ELI team), I don't see how they can do it without adding another control unit to the FATSO...but who knows...
Old 25th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray
Flea -- I think he gave us three hints on the previous page
Those hints were for new Fatso units (8 chan., api slot modules, etc.), they were not mods for the original Fatso Jr.

Unless I missed something?

Fleaman
Old 26th February 2006
Lives for gear

I think there was talk a page or two back about knobs you could add later that would add attack/release knobs to the fatso's compressor ... or was that just somebody dreaming?
Old 26th February 2006

Sorry, just wanted to be the 100th reply!
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

RSP Technologies Tube Saturator

anyone ever use the RSP Technologies Tube Saturator? which is supposed to be a poor man's Fatso?
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, just like this is a poor man's Porsche

Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I can drop two hints. The current model is the F.A.T.S.O. Jr., and it's 2 channels in 1U.

Could there be a FATSO Sr. planned, say - I don't know, 8 channels in a 3U box?

And wouldn't it be cool if there was a FATSO module for the Tonelux system, so that you could pop 16 modules in one Tonelux V-Rack and replace your 16-track 2"?

I think that would be v-e-r-y cool.

-gil
I have a Fatso for some years now. My only BIG COMPLAIN is that you can't turn off the saturation. It is my main tracking devise, but many time I don't want the saturation in my chain. What are you supose to do when you tracked with it already and want to process some with warmth or trany later in the mix?

I think it needs that switch first than any other mod.

Lives for gear

it´s funny to read all this posts not having a FATSO nor a Distressor. I feel like i am in the stone age! I still dream about having one. I will probably have one when you people start having a new terrific machine!
Anyway, just completly out of your discussion here> I will finally afford one, but only one, this year. I have a couple of RNC, a compressor from my Spl channelone (it sucks)and a 1968ME. I want to be able to "produce" more. I still don´t know wich machine will give me more...I can´t try them out. Where would you begin with?
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio
I have a Fatso for some years now. My only BIG COMPLAIN is that you can't turn off the saturation. It is my main tracking devise, but many time I don't want the saturation in my chain. What are you supose to do when you tracked with it already and want to process some with warmth or trany later in the mix?

I think it needs that switch first than any other mod.

Not sure exactly what you are saying or asking for?

The adjustable Warmth saturation feature can but turned off. The Tranny feature can be bypassed. Since you have the Fatso for years, you probably know that (?). I think something was lost in the translation.

As for the distortion the unit adds while tracking, that would be dependent on the input levels and how hard you drive the Fatso. Yes, if you drive it hard, you will get more distortion which can be used for effect.

The cleanest way to use the Fatso would of course entail running the output knob all the way open, the input knob low as possible, no warmth or tranny engaged.

Next cleanest is bypassed

Fleaman
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman
??

Not sure exactly what you are saying or asking for?

The adjustable Warmth saturation feature can but turned off. The Tranny feature can be bypassed. Since you have the Fatso for years, you probably know that (?). I think something was lost in the translation.

As for the distortion the unit adds while tracking, that would be dependent on the input levels and how hard you drive the Fatso. Yes, if you drive it hard, you will get more distortion which can be used for effect.

The cleanest way to use the Fatso would of course entail running the output knob all the way open, the input knob low as possible, no warmth or tranny engaged.

Next cleanest is bypassed

Fleaman
You are so funny. You are talking and evaluating a piece of gear that you don't have; and if you do, don't know. Let me read from the manual, page 3:

"Basically this is a distortion generator. Anytime you pass a signal thrthe Fatso, it passes thru this part except in bypass."

If you don't hear any difference with the Fatso when is not compressing, nor warming, nor tranying, something is wrong...

Lives for gear

True, the tape saturation is always on. But it's not really a problem for those of us who used to track pretty hot to 2" tape (because it sounds great and you had to be hot to avoid the hiss), who then had 1 or 2 bounces down, and then had mixes to 1/2" stereo. By the time it hit vinyl (yes, vinyl) you were lucky to only have your tracks go through 3 or 4 re-recordings to tape, with its inherent tape saturation properties.

And of course, you may indeed already know this, but it's a reminder that tape saturation can be our friend.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screws
True, the tape saturation is always on. But it's not really a problem for those of us who used to track pretty hot to 2" tape (because it sounds great and you had to be hot to avoid the hiss), who then had 1 or 2 bounces down, and then had mixes to 1/2" stereo. By the time it hit vinyl (yes, vinyl) you were lucky to only have your tracks go through 3 or 4 re-recordings to tape, with its inherent tape saturation properties.

And of course, you may indeed already know this, but it's a reminder that tape saturation can be our friend.
You're right. However, last week I was tracking EL guitars with dual mics. The SM7 sounded cool thru the Fatso while the SM57 was muddy. So one track recieve saturation, the other not.
But, what if I wanted to use the warmth in the SM57? That's an example, of course; but what I mean is that: there is this great product that is gonna recieve huge modifications and can't get a little engage switch...?
I'm not asking for anithing else.

Gear Nut

I just got one, in fact, from the originator of this thread. I just ran some quick tests with it today, and yeah... what goes in, comes out BIGGER. This thing is gonna be fun...

so maybe it's premature to ask, but when might we see these 500-style modules? I could happily sell my rackmount unit to grab a couple 500 styles and save me some space...
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio
You are so funny. You are talking and evaluating a piece of gear that you don't have; and if you do, don't know. Let me read from the manual, page 3:

"Basically this is a distortion generator. Anytime you pass a signal thrthe Fatso, it passes thru this part except in bypass."

If you don't hear any difference with the Fatso when is not compressing, nor warming, nor tranying, something is wrong...

The way you worded your post (that I quoted) it was difficult for me to understand exactly what you were saying or wanted. Again, the adjustable Warmth feature can be switched off. The Tranny feature can be switched off.

And again, repeating myself, the distortion the unit adds (even when these are turned off) is relative to how hard you drive the unit.

I never said the Fatso was Clean , but merely mentioned the cleanest way to use it.

Now, as to your issue with the Fatso, about it not being clean, even when everything is turned off (except bypass), then what exactly would you be using it for in this case??? It's not a mic pre and if you are using it as a tracking compressor, then of course there will be some distortion....in fact, EVERY compressor distorts signals, no matter how clean they are.

If you don't like the sound of the Fatso's compressors for tracking, then don't use your Fatso as a tracking compressor.

And I'm not trying to be funny.

BTW, I've owned my Fatso for about 3 years now, not that I needed a qualifier.

Fleaman
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

I will add that since the fatso doesn't have a threshold control separate from the input level, it makes it difficult to adjust the compressor threshold independent of the input drive levels. The different compressor presets have different threshold levels and I forgot which one had the lowest, but certainly some of those presets require you to drive up the input knob quite a bit to engage the compressor, and by that time you're driving the Fatso fairly good.

So yeah, not much independence here for use as a tracking compressor in this regard.

I would like to see an adjustable knob for the compressor thresholds, which would allow more freedom in adjusting input levels into the Fatso.

Fleaman
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Nut

still no sound snippets in this thread....

Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

A few questions...

Does any of you have an A/B demo clip of FATSO enabled/disabled?

Is it suitable for applying before the AD converter, for instance when tracking to the DAW?
Old 22nd May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle201
still no sound snippets in this thread....

c'mon folks - is no one up to the challenge? We're in Paris for AES, can't do it...

A free "Distresed up the Ying-Yang" t-shirt for the firstGS member who can post some serious examples of before and after.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I did a little Fatso test for another slut here. I'll ask him if he minds if I post his song clip with 4 different Fatso tests.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

OK, he said it's alright, but I need to wait for him to send me the raw file again. I have the 4 processed files but not the unprocessed one.

Patience please.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK, he said it's alright, but I need to wait for him to send me the raw file again. I have the 4 processed files but not the unprocessed one.

Patience please.
Very cool, Steve. Thanks in advance for the effort.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

All the bottom end falls out. Dave analizes why, creates the Distressor to "put it back in". Originally designed just for his use, clients start asking what it is and how can they get one. A product, and a company, is born.

It took almost 2 years to get the Distressor off the ground. When it srated to become a success, and Dave and Ken and Bob and I had left Eventide, a new product was indicated.

-gil

That's a great story Gil, a winning team. I love it when talented people do it for themselves, the pay off is ...priceless.

I must add the fatso ... the EL8XS are looking for a threesom (thanks for helping out a few moons ago).... they're playing with the lil freq at the moment ... .
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:

Patience please.
thanks man, looking forward to that...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search