The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
oh my gawd...the fatso.
Old 14th November 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett
There's this "honking" mid-range quality to Distressors that I can't stand. I heard others say they recognize it when I point it out to them, but to most they obviously don't mind it. For me it's upsetting. Does Fatso have this mid-rangey honk as well, if you recognize the description?
If you get a chance try the 10:1 ratio and there's one other, but I've forgotten which. Each ratio is a different circuit and has a different tone. The 10:1 doesn't have it.

The FATSO doesn't either.

I found my self using GP and Spank together on a mastering session not too long ago. I don't know how that happened, but it was pretty cool.
Old 14th November 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett
There's this "honking" mid-range quality to Distressors that I can't stand. I heard others say they recognize it when I point it out to them, but to most they obviously don't mind it. For me it's upsetting. Does Fatso have this mid-rangey honk as well, if you recognize the description?
If you get a chance try the 10:1 ratio and there's one other, but I've forgotten which. Each ratio is a different circuit and has a different tone. The 10:1 doesn't have it.

The FATSO doesn't either.

I found my self using GP and Spank together on a mastering session not too long ago. I don't know how that happened, but it was pretty cool.
Old 24th November 2005
Lives for gear

bump

Last edited by mixerguy; 27th November 2005 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: bump
Old 28th November 2005
Gear Nut

I'm a recent FATSO convert too and I'm never going back. Yes, it would be great to have more control over the compression settings but that's not what this thing's about.

Initially, when I got it, I ran some mixes through it and was not too thrilled. I could hear subtle differences but after dropping a lot of coin, I guess I was expecting my jaw to drop right away.

Then I sat down and started working on it in the studio. First, I ran bass synth/uprght bass samples through it. The tranny does something to the midrange and allows bass to come up out of a cluttered mix. Really nice.

But not as nice as my experience yesterday. I decided to use the FATSO on my synth bus and WOW!!!! I was so impressed I had to give another slut a call (Mr Victory, the one that told me to get the unit). Digital harshness bothering you? No problem! Dial in some warmth and sh*t, your jaw drops.

I'm loving it.
Old 28th November 2005
Lives for gear

Lately, I've been turning the input on the fatso to 10 and then adjusting my sounds and preamp levels from there (not while using compression or warmth necessarily). I'm just looking for the most coloration.
Old 29th November 2005
Lives for gear

I continue to be a gear slut - my FATSO shows up tomorrow - I'm STOKED!!
Old 14th January 2006
Gear Addict

So wadya think?
Old 14th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods
So wadya think?

I LOVE IT. Very useful, lots of options, a great box!!
Old 14th January 2006
Lives for gear

got one Fatso a couple months ago and just got another one! also got a a couple of the Lil Freq's and they're killin! The best de-esser on the planet! I've been using them on the LV on every mix...

The Fatso's are great on OH, as everyone is saying, as well as hi-hat and ride cymbal mics... Love the spank on this gig for the OH... also great on piercing guitar solos...

Ryan Hewitt
Old 14th January 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaccess
got one Fatso a couple months ago and just got another one! also got a a couple of the Lil Freq's and they're killin! The best de-esser on the planet! I've been using them on the LV on every mix...

The Fatso's are great on OH, as everyone is saying, as well as hi-hat and ride cymbal mics... Love the spank on this gig for the OH... also great on piercing guitar solos... Ryan Hewitt
Hi praise indeed!

Come on Ryan, tell 'em WHOSE lead vocal the FrEQs are killin' on, whose Overheads are you spanking with that FATSO... or did you sign an NDA?

-gil
Old 14th January 2006
Lives for gear

I just got my fatso about three weeks go and I'll just repeat from the first post: "OH MY GAWD!!!!!!". All the himming and hawing about which box to get ? I was so afraid to commit to any one box. And now that I have I'm glad I choose the fatso. And I'm just getting started with this thing. All of these accurately describe how I feel so far: heh , , , , , , , stike , thumbsup
Old 14th January 2006
Lives for gear

I'll post here again since it's been awhile since I got mine....
Word of warning to you Fatso newbies....be careful.....the addiction never goes away!
It is all it is cracked up to be and no you won't find yourself using it less and less as the newness wears off. As a matter of fact, I use mine in more applications as I learn what it does more. It is scary how useful the Buss comp is on almost anything.
This and the API 2500 are the 2 best gear purchases I have made.
Old 14th January 2006
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=pigpen]I'll post here again since it's been awhile since I got mine....
Word of warning to you Fatso newbies....be careful.....the addiction never goes away!
It is all it is cracked up to be and no you won't find yourself using it less and less as the newness wears off. As a matter of fact, I use mine in more applications as I learn what it does more. It is scary how useful the Buss comp is on almost anything.
This and the API 2500 are the 2 best gear purchases I have made.

question: when I link the 2 for busing purposes I still have to adjust the 2 input and output knobs seperately, is this right?
Old 14th January 2006
Lives for gear

I guess man....It is not what the manul states, but I found that to be the case as well. I do it out of habit anyway so it doesn't really bother me, plus I like the option of treating the L/R separately anyway.

I am not a huge fan of it on the 2 Buss, but can't live without it on a Drum Sub. I track with it constantly though! Anything from keys, to bass, to violin, to banjo, to vox (yes Vox!) And there is nothing like it on a "2 Track" from a hip hop "producer"!

The Warmth and Buss comp are worth twice the price of admission!

Old 14th January 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen
I guess man....It is not what the manul states, but I found that to be the case as well. I do it out of habit anyway so it doesn't really bother me, plus I like the option of treating the L/R separately anyway.

You don't get a really uneven sound treating both L/R differently?
Old 14th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
As a matter of fact, I use mine in more applications as I learn what it does more. It is scary how useful the Buss comp is on almost anything.
same here. luv that thang... heh heh
Old 14th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am not a huge fan of it on the 2 Buss, but can't live without it on a Drum Sub
same here, again.
playing with that toy for a couple of months now i find more and more applications each and everyday i'm using it. sometimes the fatso even is a nice de-esser for lead vox... thumbsup
Old 14th January 2006
Lives for gear
i can just see dave derr reading this thread and breaking out in his best dr.evil laugh...
Old 14th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky
You don't get a really uneven sound treating both L/R differently?

Yea you would, but I was referring to times like on OH's for example when you want to even it out and maybe the snare side is killin it compared to the other at times....so you can comp the snare side a wee bit more and actually even it out a bit.
Or on Acs guitar that is stereo mic'd...same idea.
Old 14th January 2006
Lives for gear

Ho... ho... hold your horses!

If you don't stop now I'm probably find myself in the store on monday... spending money!

/Cojo
Old 14th January 2006
Lives for gear

Been there...often....
Old 15th January 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal
i can just see dave derr reading this thread and breaking out in his best dr.evil laugh...
If my memory serves me right, many initial reactions to the Fatso were pretty bad when it came out. People expected it to sound like tape, which it doesn't really. I remember being immediately disappointed when I first plugged it in. Since then I've changed my mind about it...
Old 22nd February 2006
Lives for gear

So do you have to set both the same? I find on 2 buss I have to set the separate to get them to "match".... anyone else? Also what is your settings for 2 bus? The usual or anything special?
Old 22nd February 2006
Lives for gear

????
Old 22nd February 2006
Lives for gear

i posted this as a seperate thread in the so much gear section, but...

what do you have your stereo bus set to when you want to put your entire mix thru it? usually i have an L2 and low band linEQ to give it as much push. but do you find yourself not pushing the 2 bus as much and making the gain up on the fatso itself?
Old 22nd February 2006
Lives for gear

Am I alone wishing that there was quad version or more, like the way Smart compressors work?

I'd like a quad with the existing control set (2x2). If I could slave an additional quad box with no controls for tons of guitars (2x4-2x6) that would be cool too.

Or, how about an eight channel guy, totally stripped down, with shared meters via button, and simply tranny buttons and warmth buttons for each channel? Actually, all you need is one set of "Fatso controls" and a button to sellect chanels 1-8. That would rock my world, and presumably not cost a WHOLE lot more than a Fatso... certanly not 16K!

And of course... still waiting on the new mods, whatever they may be
Old 24th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave
Hi praise indeed!

Come on Ryan, tell 'em WHOSE lead vocal the FrEQs are killin' on, whose Overheads are you spanking with that FATSO... or did you sign an NDA?

-gil

I wanna know...
Old 25th February 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by WidgetNinja
Am I alone wishing that there was quad version or more, like the way Smart compressors work?

I'd like a quad with the existing control set (2x2). If I could slave an additional quad box with no controls for tons of guitars (2x4-2x6) that would be cool too.

Or, how about an eight channel guy, totally stripped down, with shared meters via button, and simply tranny buttons and warmth buttons for each channel? Actually, all you need is one set of "Fatso controls" and a button to sellect chanels 1-8. That would rock my world, and presumably not cost a WHOLE lot more than a Fatso... certanly not 16K!
Well, I can drop two hints. The current model is the F.A.T.S.O. Jr., and it's 2 channels in 1U.

Could there be a FATSO Sr. planned, say - I don't know, 8 channels in a 3U box?

And wouldn't it be cool if there was a FATSO module for the Tonelux system, so that you could pop 16 modules in one Tonelux V-Rack and replace your 16-track 2"?

I think that would be v-e-r-y cool.

-gil
Old 25th February 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave
Well, I can drop two hints. The current model is the F.A.T.S.O. Jr., and it's 2 channels in 1U.

Could there be a FATSO Sr. planned, say - I don't know, 8 channels in a 3U box?

And wouldn't it be cool if there was a FATSO module for the Tonelux system, so that you could pop 16 modules in one Tonelux V-Rack and replace your 16-track 2"?

I think that would be v-e-r-y cool.

-gil
How about the API 500 series form factor!
Old 25th February 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
How about the API 500 series form factor!
Okay, 3 hints. What is someone were to make a bracket that alllowed Fatso and Distressor modules fit into the API 500 series? How cool would that be?

Tony you sly dog you.

-g

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search