The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
oh my gawd...the fatso.
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog
Its always been a mystery to me why the units are not more popular.
I think the price is high in the UK for this unit... I haven't heard it myself, but I have no doubt that is good... HOWEVER also there is maybe a stigma of an(overpriced) (subtle) (preceved) fuzzbox or aural exciter, and an understandable hesitation of engineers or studio owners to go out and splash the cash on this unit. I think just having two knobs per channel (input and output!) makes it look like this unit has a very preset sound set.

Their website is (sorry empirical...) CRAP! I want to see a FULL FACE picture of the damn units, I want to HEAR some kind of examples of what they do... none of this is rocket surgery. The Fatso page is broken, as if you click on any of the sub menu links (that are a bit poorly placed and easy to miss) it takes you to the lil frequ pages insted. Also need to loose the frame HTML at the top. I don't care about famous users (much) or awards, but Sites should always have dealership / purchase info.

Other than that, the basic design, colours, and layout are inoffensive, loose the [email protected] (!) email address... if Empirical Labs wana PM me, I can arrange some improvments that will make the site much better and sell more units for practicaly no money! thumbsup
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah... the Empirical Labs site could use some "updating"..... as in.... its year 2005, not 1995.

The buss compressor is my favorite of all of them.... you can use it on everything, especially a full mix knocking off 2-4db, with warmth doing its 2-6db, and the tranny going, "peak" lights doing their thing.... its beautiful man.

I never thought I could like "preset" compression until the Fatso.... I guess Dave Derr isn't designing presets for HHB.... heh

Old 24th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz
I think the price is high in the UK for this unit... I haven't heard it myself, but I have no doubt that is good... HOWEVER also there is maybe a stigma of an(overpriced) (subtle) (preceved) fuzzbox or aural exciter, and an understandable hesitation of engineers or studio owners to go out and splash the cash on this unit. I think just having two knobs per channel (input and output!) makes it look like this unit has a very preset sound set.
It was only 'cause I sold a house that I even entertained the idea. And because of good used price I thought I could turn around ok if I didn't like it. I'm so glad I took the plunge, but I could have just as well been fooled, ya know?

And presets are great for me. They all sound good, and I'm generally working on songs. I don't really want to have to dial things in every time I sit down to make music, but I want it to sound good. Kind of makes me a fool I guess, but oh well...

kelly
Old 24th August 2005
Gear Guru

There's this "honking" mid-range quality to Distressors that I can't stand. I heard others say they recognize it when I point it out to them, but to most they obviously don't mind it. For me it's upsetting. Does Fatso have this mid-rangey honk as well, if you recognize the description?
Old 24th August 2005
Lives for gear

I know the distressor honk you are talking about and no the fatso does not impart that sound....it can if you spank it or have too much harmonic distortion... but i love the thing...it rarely leaves my mix buss.......now Steve Albini thinks it sounds like a broken tape deck.... I prefer Massenburg's discription... fills in the digital cracks....
cheers
SP
Old 24th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I think that "honk" happens when people abuse with the compression. I like the distressor but hate it at high compression settings, especially the "spank" mode, you can hear that **** in all adverts on telly and radio.

Henry, what compressor do you prefer?
Old 24th August 2005
Gear Guru

I prefer the UA LA2A. Even the Peavy (gulp) VC/L-2 over the Distressor. The Drawmer 1969. Summit Audio MPC-100A, Millennia TCL-2 Twincom or Origin. Daking makes a great compressor too. These are my favs without going into the Fairmans I used a couple of times.
Old 24th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I haven't heard any midrange honk from the Fatso, and although I kind of know what you mean when you say the Distressor has it, I've only run into that once or twice, and that was on the less-than-optimal settings for that source, anyhow, so I'm cool with that. I'll use the distressors on anything, but these days I usually put em on the toms, and maybe the vox(usually an LA3A and SSL if accessible, tho). I pretty much use the Fatso on the OH's all the time(again, when I have access to them), and started using them this way when I read about Michael Brauer doing it. God, does it work well for that. I've never been happier with my overall drum sound.
Old 24th August 2005
Lives for gear

Did anybody try to put Distressor and Fatso in one path, say subtle compression by Distressor and slight warming by Fatso?
I have none of them, but seriously consider to purchase both.
Also, how Distressor/Fatso work when tracking vocal from already warm pre, as Neve or Telefunken? Is it better to couple them with very clean pres?

GYang
Old 24th August 2005
Lives for gear

I use them for vocals along with a 1073...sounds great especially with a u67 or um900

cheers

SP
Old 27th August 2005
Quote:
Their website is (sorry empirical...) CRAP! I want to see a FULL FACE picture of the damn units, I want to HEAR some kind of examples of what they do... none of this is rocket surgery.
Duly noted. We are working on updating the site in advance of the AES. Audio examples (and video of Dave's famous AES demos) are in the works and will be posted both as streaming and downloadable files. Full-face pics with descriptions of each feature will be posted next week. In the interim, I have lots of pics here: http://www.wavedigital.com/eli/ELIPressShots.zip and below is one for those who can't wait.

Quote:
The Fatso page is broken, as if you click on any of the sub menu links (that are a bit poorly placed and easy to miss) it takes you to the lil frequ pages insted. Also need to loose the frame HTML at the top. I don't care about famous users (much) or awards, but Sites should always have dealership / purchase info.
Doh! Will fix those links. I personally like the Flash header, you can always tell your browser to ignore flash if you don't. As for dealership/purchase info, the Contact page tells you where to get it. I will make it more obvious with a direct link, but for now here it is: http://www.wavedistribution.com/dealers.htm

Any other ideas or suggestions, please PM me - the site is always a work in progress and we welcome customer feedback.

-gil, sufficiently bitch-slapped from across the pond
Attached Thumbnails
oh my gawd...the fatso.-fullfatsofrontweb.jpg  
Old 27th August 2005
Gear Addict

Gil (or Dave D., if he's lurking...),

A while back, there was some discussion of possible mods to the Fatso that would make the compressor more flexible--adding controls for attack and release, perhaps.

Did anything ever come of that?
Old 27th August 2005
Yes, the mods are defined we just need to package and present them. I will let Dave provide more info when he is ready.

-g
Old 27th August 2005
Gear Addict

Cool--count me in as one very interested Fatso owner.
Old 27th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hey...

Just curious...is it totally out of the question for a tech. support number, too?

It'd be nice to talk to people instead of email if at all possible. I understand if that's an time-consuming invitation for all the dummies of the world, too. Like me.

Loving my fatso,

kelly
Old 4th September 2005
Gear Head

any news on the fatso mod?

I'm prepared to get one but when will we see it..........
Old 4th September 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave
Yes, the mods are defined we just need to package and present them. I will let Dave provide more info when he is ready.

-g
Can't wait to hear about it... do you know roughly when these mods will be unveiled?

The Fatso is great.
Old 4th September 2005
Lives for gear

maybe some fatso owners could put up a few rough mp3's of before/after treatment of using the fatso on an individual track or an entire mix.
Old 4th September 2005
Lives for gear

The Fatso basic sound doesn't really sound like a distressor to me. The distressor is not what I would call an audiophile piece of gear. It sort of manhandles audio going through it rather than treating it like a sacred thong. Fatso is much more euphonic, in passing signal and in compression.
Old 7th November 2005
Gear Maniac

About to buy a Fatso or maybe a Distressor?

Anymore thoughts on this subject.

I need it for 2-buss and tracking duties.

Should I get a Fatso for 2-buss or would a Alan Smart C2 or Drawmer 1968 Mec edition be a better choice?

Thanks guys,

KC
Old 7th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkelly81

Anymore thoughts on this subject.

I need it for 2-buss and tracking duties.

Should I get a Fatso for 2-buss or would a Alan Smart C2 or Drawmer 1968 Mec edition be a better choice?

Thanks guys,

KC
the fatso is a very cool unit, but for general tracking and 2 buss applications (especially) i think i'd grab the drawmer 1968 first.
joshua
Old 7th November 2005
Lives for gear

The fatso is amazing. It is not the compressor that the C2 is, but for tracking and some 2buss work it is solid. I actually have the C2 and the fatso and they are very different.
oh the fatso sounds great with the 1073. i have the LTD1s from Chandler, but same story. The Fatso is the best thing I baught next to lavry converters and a C2.
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

I absolutely love my Fatso, but find I use it more for tracking than mixing. I'll frequently use it as a parallel comp on drums, but almost always track bass, electric guitars, kick, snare, keyboards and vocals through it.
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screws
I absolutely love my Fatso, but find I use it more for tracking than mixing. I'll frequently use it as a parallel comp on drums, but almost always track bass, electric guitars, kick, snare, keyboards and vocals through it.
ditto, but i'm not scared to put it on drum sub at all, all by itself at times. looking forward to getting a portico 5042 and comparing... why do i suspect i'll like BOTH!? but yeah, the more i use fatso the more i like it. we also have two distressors. if i had to give either distressors or fatso up, i think fatso would win, but i'm sure happy to have both.
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

The more I learn to use the Fatso, the more I love it! I too would take it over the Distressor if I had to....but noone's gonna make me so there!

And for all those nay sayers of the Fatso on the 2 Buss (including me)....I was just informed mix master Brendan O'Brien leaves his on the 2 Buss.....Now I gotta try it again!!!!!
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

My FATSO lives on my drums buss with; thank you M. Brauer. I have it set to BUSS, Warmth: 1, Tranny on, input at 2.5 and output at 8; I don't know if that gain staging is weird, but I like it.

I have a C2 (thank you Ron) sitting on the 2 buss set to 4:1, Attack 1, Release auto, Threshold high at 16 and Makeup at 2; the needle barely moving. I don't know if that's typical, but it sounds good.

The FATSO alone is heaven for me on the drums, add the C2 for that little extra something on the whole mix and oh my...

Oh.... I just got a Studio Electronics Caswell c2s.... Holy Crap now I'm ****ting myself; that thing is so useful.

Anyways, survey says FATSO is a good buy!
Old 9th November 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubehead
I have a C2 (thank you Ron) sitting on the 2 buss set to 4:1, Attack 1, Release auto, Threshold high at 16 and Makeup at 2; the needle barely moving. I don't know if that's typical, but it sounds good.
that attack time is quite short indeed.. try it at 10 or 30ms.. my experience with the C2 is that i want to hear it "grab" the kick and snare a lil bit. not a lot.. but a "little"...

for the release settings it's either AUTO or one of the 2 quick ones depending on how much "pump/throb" a track needs.

the c2 is a funny box... i can bypass it and ppl in the studio will kind of be indifferent to the tune.. pop it in and ppl start bobbing their heads... sounds funny but it does this subliminal groove thing... anyone else experience this with a 2mix comp?
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

Dont mean to hijack the thread, but yeah, the C2 has this knod vibe to it. That is the first compressor I have ever used that instantly makes things better, more aggressive. I tend not to look to compressors for vibe or excitement. I always used it as a dynamics control (yeah, no $hit) but the C2 just bounces. I must say the FATSO doesnt do that. But for the price point of each and the feature focus of each I would hope not.
Old 10th November 2005
Lives for gear

I can't live without mine.
Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here for the gear

I'm thinking about a gml 8900 for my mix bus comp. (maybe a squeezebox?) something relatively transparent that can also double as a tracking comp... Will a Fatso compliment these units and help color the sound more like a compressor with a signature??? or am I thinking about this in the wrong way???

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search