The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anything better than Lynx Aurora 16 for under 5k? Digital Converters
Old 8th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginagain View Post
DANNY,

The Mytek 8x192 is a slightly more transparent, detailed, 'euphonic' converter than the Lynx (I have them both) .... It is audibly 'better', but the public could'nt tell the difference. It also has basic stereo analog summing, headphone amp and xlr speaker outs as well as some interesting routing options. Highly reccommended. The firwire card is very expensive. (It's probably not as reliable as the LYnx .... not sure yet ....)
I had nothing but trouble with the Lynx firewire, and I wasn't the only one by far.

Quote:
Apparently NUENDO and CUBASE are the only DAW's that deal with I/O outboard latency well. Logic certainly doesn't, (it's a PITA)
Reaper does this easily, plus you can use outboard like a plugin in the DAW, that's (one of the reasons) why I use it.
Old 8th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
I had nothing but trouble with the Lynx firewire, and I wasn't the only one by far.

Reaper does this easily, plus you can use outboard like a plugin in the DAW, that's (one of the reasons) why I use it.
Yeah, Steinberg has been doing that for a while now. Thats one of my thousands of reasons why I LOVE GERMAN ENGINEERING and why Steinberg is #1 of any DAW, ever, period! And I mean in every aspect from sound to layout to consistency to innovation to stability, you name it, its the king. Slow-Tools is a joke.....I would say Logic is second to Steinberg stuff, which is saying allot.....
Old 8th August 2009
Lives for gear

I'm using my Aphex 141 D/A with my Orpheus for now and I have to say it sounds pretty clean...the aphex actually seems to have more output and I've had to trim the levels back to calibrate to the Orpheus, which is easy to do. The Aphex was designed for live use with the digital snake system and has a pretty robust power supply built in.

Not sure if the Orpheus clock helps this sound situation at all because the Aphex just runs off the ADAT stream.

Anyhow - you can spread your tracks out and mix it as you hear it. I've done some quick listening tests where I stem out only to the Orpheus (8 tracks) or to both the orpheus and the aphex (up to 16 tracks) and I find is easier to get a good sound going to more tracks.
Old 8th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
DANNY,

The Mytek 8x192 is a slightly more transparent, detailed, 'euphonic' converter than the Lynx (I have them both) .... It is audibly 'better', but the public could'nt tell the difference. It also has basic stereo analog summing, headphone amp and xlr speaker outs as well as some interesting routing options. Highly reccommended. The firwire card is very expensive. (It's probably not as reliable as the LYnx .... not sure yet ....)

I don't know what DAW you are using, but I CAN GAURANTEE latency WILL be an issue especially with two converters linked (by any format). Firewire is good but it's not AES. I run a Macbook Pro via firewire and the system can get overloaded in odd ways (no workarounds). AES is the standard. It's my next move.

Apparently NUENDO and CUBASE are the only DAW's that deal with I/O outboard latency well. Logic certainly doesn't, (it's a PITA)

As a previous poster suggested, do you really need more than 8 I/o's for mixdown (You only have 8 EQ's/comps ....) An 8 or 16 channel desk (or even fancy summer, eg Tanner/Daking/Chandler/API, etc) would largely (totally) overcome latency issues and maybe more EQ than you have as well as having a 'sound'.

If you get a 16ch desk you could add another converter later and they wouldn't be piggy backed but rather workinf in parallel....

I will send you a PM sent to me by someone who gave me a lot of suggestions about this issue....

Good luck

Michael V
Tasmania
Hey thanks man, I just saw your post......

I dont know if you sent that PM yet, but you got me intrested. Like I mentioned before, Im the mathematician/engineer type that likes to sort out all possible and mentionable variables before I start doing anything (blessing and curse all in one). So thats why I want to be so meticulous about the intricate details of the setup so I do it right the first time; after all $30,000 in one shot (for the most part) is not a joke, and I dont want any "its a joke" problems associated with my setup or infringing upon my workflow.

I certainly under-evaluated the latency of a converter through ADAT - Firewire which is so dam obvious now. I am wondering and considering the parallel setup that somebody recommended.

So, in the case I needed more I/O for a summing box after more hardware comes, could I run the Orpheus off Firewire and have something like an Aurora (which I decided is probably the best converter under 5K overall which gives me peace) run off their PCI-E card clocked to the Orpheus without any issues? So again to clarify; Prism off firewire and Aurora independent on the Lynx PCI-E card synced up via Word Clock. Any problems?

I immediately consider the inherent buss latency's of Firewire which is greater than PCI-E as a problem. And I doubt that wordclock will make up for that, or will it compensate? And if this parallel idea is better, why would it be better and by what measure?

And one more annoying question; Which way should I go about a parallel setup and why?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search