The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neve 33609 or Teletronix LA-2A
Old 22nd June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekis View Post
I'm telling you that YOU couldn't spot the difference in a mix. I am a career recording engineer/producer (21 years) with several gold and platinum records and a Grammy nomination. I don't sell/pimp gear. I use it to earn a living. Years ago I met many pro-audio gear brokers at the Record Plant, Media Sound, and Power Station auctions. They were buying up all the great stuff that rank and file engineers like me use at work everyday. They took that stuff, created and unrealistic voodoo-mystique around it and jacked the price way up and began selling to rich (mostly Japanese) collectors. Once before the internet was invented, I had a conversation with one of these guys. (who still sells stuff around here today and is generally regarded as a "stand up dude") I said, "Hey, I saw that you advertised $9500.00 for a Fairchild 660 in the back of Mix magazine!" His reply, "Yes, I did." My reply, "You know damn well that they're not worth that much!" His reply, "I know I just wanted to see if anyone would bite." I said, "That's wrong! You're telling everyone out there that a 660 is worth $9500, 'because I saw it in Mix!'" He said, "I know." And that's exactly what I'm seeing happen with this whole "metal knob" 33609 BS! Hey, I'm glad your band is on the iPod commercial (that sure put "Malice" in his place). But you're probably a good songwriter/singer. Those "metal knobs" aren't going to get you another iPod spot. What don't you save your money for the lean times? Did you notice that Fletcher still just tried to sell you everything that Mercenary stocks?(I guess they don't stock UA) It that what GS is REALLY all about...?
Bravo !!! Great post ! And yea I really think that is what its about apparently. I mean AES this year sucked. Look at my tubes ! Its all that was about on the floor.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarman View Post
Syra, MY MAN!!!!!

I was just reading through the last many posts and got more and more pissed, annoyed and irritated
And then I finally got to Syra's input and fell a BIG relief!! Thank god! Syra, you said it very well, so I will not repeat it here.
But seriously, all you guys that are only here to convince me to stay far far away from vintage equipment cause it's so so overrated - START YOUR OWN THREAD!!!
Thank you Syra ! and Sugarman for those post!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sugar man, is this the spot your talking about?

Apple - iPod touch - Watch the latest iPod touch TV ad.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
the api 525 is a great vocal comp too & much cheaper...
one of my favorite vocal comps......
Old 23rd June 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
For what its worth it took me some time to learn how to get the best out of my 33609 (new version). I have an La2a and an 1176 and my initial approach was to use the 33609 in the same way. However in comparison, the 33609 is quite a powerful, grabby unit (I know, silly description), its less forgiving and its easy to choke a sound even at moderate GR.

Now when using it on the 2buss I barely have the unit registering any GR. At first that seemed weird having worked with 1176s/LA2a. But for me thats what sounds best.

Personally, compared to an LA2a or an 1176 I find the 33609 a little 'straight' on lead vocals. I really like it on stereo piano. It seems to re-balance the sound nicely, add weight in the right places and adds a lovely smoothness. But again its easy to choke the life out of it so I am cautious with the GR and play around with the release until i am happy.

Anyway thats what I find. Im contemplating doing the mod. But am a little nervous to do it myself.
Old 24th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbob View Post
For what its worth it took me some time to learn how to get the best out of my 33609 (new version). I have an La2a and an 1176 and my initial approach was to use the 33609 in the same way. However in comparison, the 33609 is quite a powerful, grabby unit (I know, silly description), its less forgiving and its easy to choke a sound even at moderate GR.

Now when using it on the 2buss I barely have the unit registering any GR. At first that seemed weird having worked with 1176s/LA2a. But for me thats what sounds best.

Personally, compared to an LA2a or an 1176 I find the 33609 a little 'straight' on lead vocals. I really like it on stereo piano. It seems to re-balance the sound nicely, add weight in the right places and adds a lovely smoothness. But again its easy to choke the life out of it so I am cautious with the GR and play around with the release until i am happy.

Anyway thats what I find. Im contemplating doing the mod. But am a little nervous to do it myself.
What you just described of your 33609 JD is right on the money. It does add weight in the right places and smooths out upper midrange. And yes, it starts to choke with anything over 3-4 db of reduction. This is main difference with the original metalknob 33609. The original is a little bit more aggressive sounding (not as smooth) but doesn't choke at all. You can slam it with 10 db of reduction and it still sounds big. The difference is in the attack and release settings. The JD has faster attack and slower release which is a recipe for choking after a certain point. But it does add a beautiful weight and smoothness sonically when you stay under 3 db GR. IMO JD=Buss, Vocals and Metalknob= Buss, Drums, Piano, Guitars.

Regarding the mod it will make the JD sound a little bit more aggressive but it will not affect the choking issue at all. I don't think its necessary to do it.
Old 25th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That mod is just a resistor/impedance thing, right? Sounds like the typical "mod it to make it brighter!" BS. "Uhhhh...where'd all the warmth and body go?"

I would like to play with a metal knob vs. the JD, but one thing I will note is the faceplate settings for release times are totally different with the JD vs. the UAD plugin, which is supposedly modeled off a metal knob. So don't compare the same faceplate setting, compare the same actual release time.

Designers take liberties with the faceplates and ranges, doing what they think makes a more useful unit rather than a carbon copy of the original. They will also modernize the sound while they do it, often in ways people would agree with if they can relax on the vintage insanity for a few minutes.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
What you just described of your 33609 JD is right on the money. It does add weight in the right places and smooths out upper midrange. And yes, it starts to choke with anything over 3-4 db of reduction. This is main difference with the original metalknob 33609. The original is a little bit more aggressive sounding (not as smooth) but doesn't choke at all. You can slam it with 10 db of reduction and it still sounds big. The difference is in the attack and release settings. The JD has faster attack and slower release which is a recipe for choking after a certain point. But it does add a beautiful weight and smoothness sonically when you stay under 3 db GR. IMO JD=Buss, Vocals and Metalknob= Buss, Drums, Piano, Guitars.

Regarding the mod it will make the JD sound a little bit more aggressive but it will not affect the choking issue at all. I don't think its necessary to do it.
I thought you were describing Amek Neve 9098 DCL there for a moment...

B.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I had the chance to use a well maintained vintage LA-2A, and I felt in love with it, what it does on the vocals and bass is marvelous.

Do you think that this 33609 is over-priced?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.o.T.s View Post
I had the chance to use a well maintained vintage LA-2A, and I felt in love with it, what it does on the vocals and bass is marvelous.

Do you think that this 33609 is over-priced?
Hi

Just puzzled why there is no voltage selector switch on rear panel and Sifam D14's on the front panel instead of Ernest Turners.

The motherboards look correct as does front panel other than meters.

May have been a late creation after I left Neve or modified.

Who knows?

heh
Old 26th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
LA2A re-issue is cool buy, I compared it to vintages and couldn't justify hypes. 33609 didn't work form me at all.
Well worth to try is DW Fearn comp, very big and detailed sound, no vintage vibe in terms of distortion, but totally nice and smooth.
IMO Purple MC77 offers instant satisfaction, old-new classic, again IMO equal or better than old pieces.
Old 27th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
LA2A re-issue is cool buy, I compared it to vintages and couldn't justify hypes. 33609 didn't work form me at all.
Well worth to try is DW Fearn comp, very big and detailed sound, no vintage vibe in terms of distortion, but totally nice and smooth.
IMO Purple MC77 offers instant satisfaction, old-new classic, again IMO equal or better than old pieces.

Dealing with mine, I see no hype at all. I mean if you thing about it...its been around for decades for a reason and been put into plug in form by many manufactures due to its solid track record and reputation with audio engineers.

Maybe you didn't have a good vintage one to evaluate on perhaps? And there were different revisions. I wonder which revision you had. And if it was all checked up to be up to spec. ? Were every tube on the unit up to spec? Along with the T4 unit? Each tube has a function on the unit. And if you are not familiar with the LA2A very well, you will think its not all that when all it needed was a new tube. Did you have a 650ohm resistor strapped on the output? So many little things could cause you to believe the LA2A is total hype. Its a deceiving piece of gear I must say. So simple to use, but so easily to not know its not performing like it should if its not up to spec. Did you mess with it long enough to experiment all the possibilities?

I am guilty of that myself. I buy a new piece of gear. Take on a test drive and then sell it within a a week or two. Finding out later, that I was a fool for selling it so early. And all I needed to do was just work with it and learn all its possibilities.

I am sorry you didn't hear its beauty man. I don't think I can let my pair ever leave the studio after learning what works with it and what brings out the monster thats hiding inside.

πŸ“ Reply