The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help me find more suitable monitors: Not happy with K+H = 300D
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Head

Call me crazy but since you already have an amp for your NS-10's, I'll recommend B&W 805S. Then just get a speaker switcher, Bryston makes nice ones.
Old 8th December 2009
Here for the gear

NS10 passive

Studios often agree that a wise choice for monitors is the old endangered tree wood known as the ns10.. look into this a bit its certainly interesting. Also have yourself handy a pair of active monitors for another taste of what you are referencing. Also just knowing what your monitors may be lacking can be just as useful as hurtful if you can figure it out.

Ps. I found a pair of custom built JBL passive speakers that are very old and were built by my deceased grandfather along with a tubed amp as a power supply, i hope it turns out.
Old 13th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened Hand View Post
I think it's very much so placing the cart before the horse to go looking for another set of loudspeakers when (as far as we know) your room acoustics are still an unanswered question.

Those K&H are some very well designed monitors and I don't think they would hype or suppress anything in any detrimental way. If you're having the problems that you're having it's probably due to the room acoustics and/or your placement of the monitors (or perhaps you're just more comfortable working with less accurate monitors that actually do hype and or suppress certain areas of the frequency spectrum).

-A loudspeaker is only as good as the room it's used in.

That's the entire truth. When it comes to monitors it's very easy to get carried away with the idea that if things don't sound right that it must be the monitor's fault. But more often than not it's the room acoustics that are seriously interfering with the monitor's ability to tell you the truth. The kinds of distortions that you're describing are typical of poor room acoustics and are very unlikely to be caused by those specific monitors.

What are you doing to address the issue of room acoustics?
Well I have some Pro broadband absorbers over my sweet spot, dense and thick Illbruck type foam (Basotect) on the rear wall in pieces to scatter sound, compressed glasswool behind monitorwall as well as some thick cotton fabric around, nothing too dead or too live, the accoustics do their part nicely and the measured freq response is smooth and tapers off nicely. Its not the accoustics.

I actaully went to Thomann s monitor room a while ago and listened to a ready mix that was sounding great. We listened on all sorts of monitors (the lot) and everytime the O300 s came up the music went dead. Analytical yes, but no life also. Was too much for me to get used to and the sales ppl there were also in accord. Everything sounded balanced but htere was no fun no feel no vibe at all... maybe thats exactly what some ppl want in their monitor, but I liek a mix of analytical as well as vibey and have found this with Dynaudio BM6A MKI together with NS 10 s

Happy campre now...in the end it's all a matter of taste anyway...
Old 19th December 2009
Whatever makes you happy in the end.
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrmspl View Post
...since you already have a [Bryston] amp for your NS-10's... then just get a speaker switcher...
Word.

With a Bryston already sitting in his studio, I was going to suggest the OP take a listen to some passive PMCs. I find the TB2s to have just the right mix of clinical and listenable, and to my ears they're definitely a step up from BM6s once you learn to appreciate and adjust to their uniquely well-balanced bass response.

Obviously room is significant with any monitor, and to that I'd add putting them on decent weighted stands and using decent cables too.
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

I've been through Genelecs, NS-10, Tannoy, PMC, ADAM, MM27, and am now demoing monitors.

What you mentioned about 'inspiring & fun', I'd have to say ADAM S3X-H and Focals. Clinical mixing tools" = barefoot mm27.

For me, Barefoot MM27 is a clinical microscopic tool suitable for mastering. For mixing, it wasn't fun, just work. But I'd rather mix on NS-10's.....

Good luck in your search but make sure you get to demo the speakers in your own room for a week or so (at least 3 days) to see which works best.

For me, it's the NS-10's. And I'm looking around for another pair for the 'wow factor' when clients come in to hear.... So far it's leaning towards the Westlakes and S3X-H's....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search