The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A good replacement for a MDP-1a for HipHop, Maybe SCA?
Old 21st August 2005
Lives for gear

A good replacement for a MDP-1a for HipHop, Maybe SCA?

As some of you may know I'm selling my MDP-1a mainly because I'm looking for a different flavor. I wanted to get yall opinion.. What would be a good replacement? I know it's a silly question but I figured I'd ask.

I've been seriously thinking about the Seven Circle Audio. Starting with an A12 and J99...... what you think? I am looking for something ballsy for tracking vox, synths and MPC, and something naturally detailed for vocals and acoustic instruments... the MDP-1 does it in an awesome way... but it's not what I was looking for. I mainly do Hip-Hop, (The Roots, Tribe, Mos Def when he still rhymed, lol) Hit me with it........Thanx.....
Old 21st August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agno
I am looking for something ballsy for tracking vox, synths and MPC, and something naturally detailed for vocals and acoustic instruments... the MDP-1 does it in an awesome way.
i would suggest taking a look at the great river mp-2nv. often times the 'ballsiest' flavor is not the most 'naturally detailed' but the great river can be pushed from pretty clear to pretty ballsy. it is a great 'all purpose' preamp and worth taking a listen. btw, what mics are you using?
good luck,
joshua
Old 21st August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
As some of you may know I'm selling my MDP-1a mainly because I'm looking for a different flavor. I wanted to get yall opinion.. What would be a good replacement? I know it's a silly question but I figured I'd ask.

I've been seriously thinking about the Seven Circle Audio. Starting with an A12 and J99...... what you think? I am looking for something ballsy for tracking vox, synths and MPC, and something naturally detailed for vocals and acoustic instruments... the MDP-1 does it in an awesome way... but it's not what I was looking for. I mainly do Hip-Hop, (The Roots, Tribe, Mos Def when he still rhymed, lol) Hit me with it........Thanx.....
The new T M A - Tube Microphone Amplifier

http://www.truetrackrec.de/TMA.htm
Old 21st August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownmouse
i would suggest taking a look at the great river mp-2nv. often times the 'ballsiest' flavor is not the most 'naturally detailed' but the great river can be pushed from pretty clear to pretty ballsy. it is a great 'all purpose' preamp and worth taking a listen. btw, what mics are you using?
good luck,
joshua

yeah I have a mp2-nv and a chandler tg2........ so what else would you guys suggest in that price range? has anyone had any experience with sca and the mdp-1?
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

No Seventh Circle fans??????
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

I got seventh circle n72's. 8 of them. They kick ass. Haven't tried them out on a hip hop vocal yet though. I can't see how'd they would suck. Highly recommended.
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
No Seventh Circle fans??????

Try a search. I am big fan, I own a 6 pack. Also, our esteemed moderator is big fan as well. There are a few threads on here about it. They are easily one of the few products out there where you get WAY more than you pay for.
Old 23rd August 2005
member no 666

Check out the Thermionic Culture "Early Bird"... it's definitely a different flavor from the MDP-1A... in fact, it's a half a dozen other flavors than the MDP-1A [in a good way!!]

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search