The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sub for NS10's
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Addict

Sub for NS10's

I'm using only NS10's at the moment (with a Bryston amp) and need a sub since I mix a lot of rap.

I read that CLA mixes predominantly on NS10's with a "cheap Infinity sub". I tracked down an Infinity BU-1 on eBay for very cheap. Not sure if this is the sub in question. Anyone know? Do any other Pro's use this combo?

Please.. no one tell me I need a second set of large monitors. I cannot afford them now. And yes, my room is treated.

I am open to any other suggestions from full-time mixers.
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Addict

Did some more Googling and it looks like CLA uses the Infinity PS212 sub.
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Nut

Thanks for following up. Even if you did answer your question. Someone will ask the same question again. And someone else will say search. At least the answer will be there.
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
Please.. no one tell me I need a second set of large monitors.
Alright, I won't. But I will say that NS10s with a sub (even an infinitely cheap one) is kinda like lipstick on a pig. Not my idea of a fun time. YMMV
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Addict

<< Thanks for following up. >>

sure, I was going to delete the thread, but figured I'd share the info.

<< But I will say that NS10s with a sub (even an infinitely cheap one) is kinda like lipstick on a pig. Not my idea of a fun time. >>

I've personally spoken to several full-time, successful mixers and they have told me that they mix 90%-100% on NS10's. Some with a sub, some without. When I have more money, I will get proper mains.
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
<< Thanks for following up. >>

sure, I was going to delete the thread, but figured I'd share the info.

<< But I will say that NS10s with a sub (even an infinitely cheap one) is kinda like lipstick on a pig. Not my idea of a fun time. >>

I've personally spoken to several full-time, successful mixers and they have told me that they mix 90%-100% on NS10's. Some with a sub, some without. When I have more money, I will get proper mains.
Here in Sweden NS10 and sub is the way to go!
The NS10:s are still the fastest monitors around, meaning the time delay between a transient coming out from the amplifier and hitting your ears. In practice it will give you a very accurate picture of the sound. There are some charts on the net showing the excellent speed of the NS10:s. I am using a Hafler Amplifier and the Yamaha HS10 subwoofer ( which is pretty slow actually, but at least I can hear and feel the low end)
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear

how about an ADAM Sub 8 ...

Its a nice sub which doesn't cost you too much.
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Addict

- I recently picked up the little Krk 10" sub...works great with my NS10's...and yes !! ns10's plus sub is awesome for mixing...if u can't make that work u got other issues.
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Addict

Just curious.. how do I tell how fast a speaker is?

I have the Yamaha HS10 sub as well, but want to get rid of it since everyone here says it is junk. I do notice that it is not very TIGHT. I've spend endless time tweaking all the controls.

Any one else have the Infinity? For the price, it seems well worth checking out.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjamesbomb View Post
if u can't make that work u got other issues.
Personally, I don't have any problem at all making it work. But there are other things I enjoy a lot more that, as it happens, also work.

Perhaps that comes under the category of "other issues" you mentioned.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

just simple question:

why would you be looking to emulate someone known for rock type of music when you are mixing rap?

subs in rock are not as important. doubt he uses it much. wouldn't recommend this setup for huge low urban kicks where guitars don't dominate the frequencies in a mix.

then again, ns10's were sort of cheapie monitors to begin with so i guess a cheapie sub wouldn't be that far out of line, but i wouldn't recommend it.
Old 7th July 2009
Gear Addict

why would you be looking to emulate someone known for rock type of music when you are mixing rap?

subs in rock are not as important. doubt he uses it much. wouldn't recommend this setup for huge low urban kicks where guitars don't dominate the frequencies in a mix. >>

Good point. The thing is I mix all genres. More rock/pop than rap. I know some R&B guys that sear by NS10's-- seriously!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search