The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Apogee Duet Pre for Coles 4038???
Old 4th July 2009
Here for the gear

Apogee Duet Pre for Coles 4038???

Howdy everyone,

Just a quick question. I've got an Apogee Duet and am looking to get a stereo pair of ribbons. The Duet has up to 75db of gain. Anyone have some thoughts on whether the Duet could drive the 4038 fine? The Duet pre is especially clean, am I still gonna get the flavor and coloration of the ribbon coming through?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have.

Justin
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Nut

I've used the Duet with the Coles 4038 a few times this year. The preamp will drive the mic just fine!
Old 4th July 2009
member no 666

Should do fine [unless you're trying to record a mouse fart from 15 ft. away in which case nothing but an NPNG or a GML can give you enough quiet gain].

On the mic end of things I prefer the Royer SF-1 or the Coles 4040 to the 4038 but that's your decision.

Peace.
Old 4th July 2009
Here for the gear
IMO, it really depends on what you'll be micing with the coles; guitar amps, drums, louder sources, absolutely fine. Quiet, fingerpicked, acoustic guitars, too much noise for me. Having said that, I only have one 4038, and its an old STC BBC version, may have lower output than the coles version, not sure. Recently got an AEA TRP: no more noise, I can now mic anything with my 4038, its my favourite mic by far, really dark, dont like much top end myself, lovin it
Old 4th July 2009
member no 666

While the TRP is a fantastic pre-amp... what were you using before? Was it a "Duet"? Because if it wasn't a "Duet" then what is the point of your post?
Old 4th July 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Simply put...I have a modest setup and am trying to capture a vintage Folky/Beatley and Ennio Morricone sound. As it stands, I'm simply using two SM-57s into the Duet into my MBP. I'm primarily recording a strummed 1967 Gibson J-50 (which, with the ceramic saddle is a particularly jangly guitar), mic'ing a small 15W amp, handclaps, various percussion and eventually overheads for a vintage Ludwig Kick and Snare. Think the 4038 + Duet combo would be up to the task? Or would I be better suited getting a better preamp first. I've been looking at the TG-2.

Thanks folks!

Justin
Old 5th July 2009
member no 666

You're going in about 9 directions at once.

The TG-2 is my favorite pre-amp on the Chandler roster... and MILES different from the pre's in the "Duet"... but the difference between a 57 and a 4038 is equally as vast.

At this point it might be a good idea to put away the computer, get on the phone, and start getting these things into your facility and trying them. From there you can make decisions that are appropriate to your sense of aesthetic and overall goals.

Best of luck with your search!!

Peace.
Old 6th July 2009
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
While the TRP is a fantastic pre-amp... what were you using before? Was it a "Duet"? Because if it wasn't a "Duet" then what is the point of your post?

Apologies fletcher, I should have made that clear, YES, I was using the duet pre's. I've tried the 4038 with a couple of different pres on quiet sources and the only one that worked for me was the TRP. It gives the mic so much more potential use FOR ME. I now use 4038->TRP->duet or MH2882 A/D.

As I stated previously, my 4038 is a BBC original and may be different in terms of output to the Coles, so please keep that in mind. Obviously, trying these things out for yourself is the really the only way to be sure.

However, as I was in a similar position as the o/p some time ago, I thought I could offer some help to them
Old 6th July 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmmbrady View Post
Apologies fletcher, I should have made that clear, YES, I was using the duet pre's. I've tried the 4038 with a couple of different pres on quiet sources and the only one that worked for me was the TRP. It gives the mic so much more potential use FOR ME. I now use 4038->TRP->duet or MH2882 A/D.

As I stated previously, my 4038 is a BBC original and may be different in terms of output to the Coles, so please keep that in mind. Obviously, trying these things out for yourself is the really the only way to be sure.

However, as I was in a similar position as the o/p some time ago, I thought I could offer some help to them
Brady,

In what capacity are you using the 4038 through the Duet? What sources are you recording and how would you describe the sound?

Thanks for your insight!

JPS
Old 6th July 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
You're going in about 9 directions at once.

At this point it might be a good idea to put away the computer, get on the phone, and start getting these things into your facility and trying them. From there you can make decisions that are appropriate to your sense of aesthetic and overall goals.

Best of luck with your search!!

Peace.
Thanks Fletcher. You are of course right. I need to start playing with this stuff to know what's going to work for me. As a newbie is this a service that a pro gear shop can provide for me? I'd like to try some stuff out at home while having the option to return what isn't doing it for me. In know GC are really strict about pro audio returns.

JPS
Old 6th July 2009
Here for the gear
I've used the 4038 on lots of things: e.g. mono drums overhead, trumpet, banjo, fiddle, electric guitar cabinet. The duet preamps work great with the mic for all those things and many many more, however for quiet finger picked acoustic guitar, quiet vocals etc. the duet pres got too noisy for me once I got over 60-65dB of gain approx. It may not be an issue for you at all if you're not going to be using it on those sources.

In terms of how the mic sounds, you really need to try one for yourself, sorry....
Old 6th July 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmmbrady View Post
I've used the 4038 on lots of things: e.g. mono drums overhead, trumpet, banjo, fiddle, electric guitar cabinet. The duet preamps work great with the mic for all those things and many many more, however for quiet finger picked acoustic guitar, quiet vocals etc. the duet pres got too noisy for me once I got over 60-65dB of gain approx. It may not be an issue for you at all if you're not going to be using it on those sources.

In terms of how the mic sounds, you really need to try one for yourself, sorry....
Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. Looks like I need to find a shop to let me demo a pair of 4038s. Anyone got any recommendation?

JPS
Old 6th July 2009
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps0611 View Post
Thanks Fletcher. You are of course right. I need to start playing with this stuff to know what's going to work for me. As a newbie is this a service that a pro gear shop can provide for me? I'd like to try some stuff out at home while having the option to return what isn't doing it for me. In know GC are really strict about pro audio returns.

JPS
GC is fine for buying a mid-line Telecaster®, they suck on their best day for anything close to "real" audio hardware. Check around with some of the "real" gear shops [I'm kinda partial to one but that's only because I spent 20 years there and the guys are all still dear friends].

The STC 4038 is the same as the modern ones... they haven't updated a thing. If I remember correctly there may be a couple of options on output impedance but that shouldn't change much other than the way the pre is "loaded" by the microphone [which will be true of most pre's... though I believe the "Duet"s front end is less susceptible to loading issues than many others].

Peace.
Old 6th July 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
GC is fine for buying a mid-line Telecaster®, they suck on their best day for anything close to "real" audio hardware. Check around with some of the "real" gear shops [I'm kinda partial to one but that's only because I spent 20 years there and the guys are all still dear friends].

The STC 4038 is the same as the modern ones... they haven't updated a thing. If I remember correctly there may be a couple of options on output impedance but that shouldn't change much other than the way the pre is "loaded" by the microphone [which will be true of most pre's... though I believe the "Duet"s front end is less susceptible to loading issues than many others].

Peace.
Hi Fletcher,

There seems to be a scarcity of quality gear shops in the San Francisco Bay Area. From the way everyone raves about Mercenary around these parts...looks like it might make sense to give them a call.

Thanks,

JPS

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search