The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mic & preamp combinations for vocals
Old 23rd August 2005
Gear Head

BTW...I used to own the 6176 but sold it. It doesn't really sound that great. Especially for the money. I sounds sorta muddy and LO-FI. Probably not the sound you want when tracking Pop and/or R&B. I had to do so much processing just to get vocals to sound half decent. On the other hand, the Neve 1073 DPA sounds excellent dry, even without compression. Just much LARGER, cleaner, detailed, and warmer sounding all at the same time. If that makes any sense.
Old 23rd August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlnyc
this might go against the grain of popular opinion, but i would never add the RNC as a compressor to my high end lead vocal signal chain.

may seem subtle, but if you are spending thousands on your mic and thousands on a preamp, hello...

completely agreed. rumor has it the rnc is transparent, but imo the hi freqs pay a price, and things in the middle get grainy too.

for the original poster, i say u99 or a 47 clone and either the api 7600 for 'big' pop or the pendulum for 'honest' pop.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz
i'd recommend

a brauner valvet, great river me1-nv and a distressor.

at least that's what i use every day heh
Distressor ($1300), a great compressor. SM 7($350.00), probably a little thin on females, good to own one for a gruff male vx. I would get a 312 or 512 API ($500) (Lunchbox $500) for mic pre, alot less than a Neve and holds its value. Sound Deluxe makes great mics ($2000). Another good simple mic is the Neumann 193 ($1100), all stripped down with no pad/cut or pattern change, cardiod only.

www.bluethumbproductions.com
Old 23rd August 2005
Here for the gear

Re: your mic options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge
So for stacking many vocals (I mean lots of backvocal tracks - like 20 or so) I guess something like AMEK CIB would be a much better choice than UA6176 which if used on too many tracks then I imagine things can probably get too colored and too "muddy". Am I close with my predictions?

In this case something more neutral between transparent and colored like they described things in listeningsessions would be a nice option to choose. It's interesting I see 737 on their graph on a more coulured side of preamps although its often described by guys with experinence as a little thin sounding and britle. So how do AMEK CIB and 737 compare in color (warm/cold) and "balls" (lows & low mids)

I don't know if I'm able to get Portico here and also there's no DI which almost is a must to have (at least 1 quality one in a studio)

So if I go with AMEK CIB (or maybe even try to go for Quartet) and I choose beetween mics. Can I count on U195 to give just that little bit of "balls" or "push" or whatever and warmth that AMEK CIB will be mybe missing or is it better to choose some other mic. But I'll probably have to get a new mic so U-67 is I'm afraid not an option.

So choices are:
AMEK CIB
Great River MP-2nv or MP-1nv (I will choose myself here depending on total $)
Phoenix DRS-2 or DRS-1 (I will choose myself here depending on total $)
(Pendulum Quartet - if I go crazy and decide for a more $$$ option)

Which condenser mic with these for what i mentioned above? With AMEK CIB I got suggestions Soundelux U195 and Neumann M147 so far.
Thanks for answers, Robi.
I had a Neumann M147 before and used it in a project. It was nothing exciting to me. so if you are down to the 2 mics, I'd have to vote U195. I am EXTREMELY happy with the CIB!

Ronnie
Old 23rd August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by santo

I would assume most pop female singers are altos.

Santo

Uh...no.

Try soprano.
Old 15th November 2005
khp
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlnyc
...if you can't demo a microphone which is going to be used for voices, then you are in some trouble. the human voice is so dynamic and changing...even my fav mic doesn't work on everybody.

good luck,
rlnyc.
bump.
Throwing out mic models that we like isn't going to be of much help. We can talk pre choices since there's usually not as wide of a variety of choices at the studio. Take your $ and get a good pre then rent some mics. Better to make the right choice from your own experience than do a blind draw from the most recommendations. Besides your pop female vocal needs will change dramatically from one singer to another. A high register power voice and a lower breathy singer can all be pop, but likely require different choices. However the same pre can be quite good.

I find it easier to narrow the field by deciding first if you want colored or colorless? Otherwise an HV-3d, GML or 1073 recommendation doesn't count for much help. I can and have gotten great fem vox out of all 3 and many others.
Old 15th November 2005
Lives for gear

Try to look and listen to it, for R&B rather sincerely sounds - and there is "saliva" at a microphone>>

Tube Mic "FAUST " (f2 - 11 diagrams +75$) -
1055,0-$
Tube 2 ch Preamp "Affinity a2" -
949,0-$
Tube 2 ch Levelller "Solution s2"
(base on ideology of LA2) -
1055,0-$
+ 100,0-$ (for all) delivery to USA,for ex. -
3.159,0-$

Comparison Mic FAUST/SM69/M147/U87
Comparison capsule from this FAUST Mic with U87 capsule,by Marik, USA,Prodigy Pro
Harmony Central Review for "Affinity" Preamp
Samples of sounding Preamp/Leveller "Solution"
Comparison(blind test) here, Preamp/Leveller "Solution" with different gears by Guy Sternberg ,Berlin
Our Gearslutz Top

Funny Music

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search