The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help! Which compressor to enter high endland Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

hmmmmmm no problems here. Bought the first one new, used it for years and now just scooped up a used one for under 700 bucks. They do add bigness and smooth things out so it seems like a cost efficient way to supplement a console. I'm now thinking of a high quality compresser/eq for tracking/mixing and maybe even 2 buss. Was leaning toward an API 525 for the lunchbox along with a 550b eq. Any suggestions ? Mainly be for vocals and bass...
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Guru

525 is amazing on vocals; it's also great on bass, but it's not aggressive, just round and fat. I've never had any luck with the 525 on mix, it just goes into way-too-much mode way too quickly.

2500, otoh, is pure magic on all of the above and then some.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

You can start with any of these and they will serve you well later when you add many more compressors (GS path).

Rupert Neve 5043
Buzz SOC
Aurora GTC
Elysia mpressor
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

I have a similar choice to make: 2-1176 or UBK Fatso. I've worked with 1176s in the past and they worked on everything. Vocals, (acoustic) guitars, drums, even mix. I mix blues and rock stuff. The UBK on the other hand seems more versatile. It will be my first high end compressor and I will want to run everything that needs compression through it. Difficult...

Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

yes, tough choice... I may go to the API 525, just feeling led that way, even though a Distressor seems like a "safer" call. If the 525 works as a good tracking compressor and can be used in for mixing as well I'll be happy. Wondering if I should go for a 550b eq as well now...
Old 4th July 2009
member no 666

No disrespect meant for UBK... but if it were going to be one of my first units I would go with a "distressor" or a Purple MC-77. Two most versatile boxes in my arsenal... everything else is more of a "specialty" [though not necessarily "one trick pony"] kind of unit.

Peace.
Old 4th July 2009
Deleted User
API 2500 for sure. It does everything you asked for extremely well. And later, when you own more comps to taste the 2500 will live on your drum bus.
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

No disresepect meant for UBK or Fletcher, but if I could have only one comp, it would be a 1176 for tracking duties (and I'd then leave 2-bus comping to the mastering engineer).

I do, however, think that UBK is right that the 1176 doesn't meet your criterion with respect to 2-bus duties, so if you really must cover both tracking and 2-bus requirements with a single comp, the 2500 would be my second choice.

We have both here (along with a Fatso, an LA2A and others), but the 1176 would be the last to go and should therefore be the first to arrive IMO.
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

oh noooooooooo back to 1176 again lol. hmmmmm but isnt the 525 a kind of 1176 type of compressor ? Is the 2500 way better sonically than the 525 ? I'm actually thinking I need a few more compressors for mixing. All I have now are the 2 Mindprints or 4 channels of nice fat tube compression/eq, though I have no real experience with boutique compressors to compare. The Mindprint has a nice generic fat smooth tone but the compression is hard to control or predict at times. I have some cheap DBX ( 166A) and Alesis 3660's. I was thinking of maybe getting a DBX 160 x or 2 used. Maybe an FMR too. Then have one REEEALY nice compressor for tracking and in the mix. Actually I guess I have to consider mix bus
duties as last on the priority list. Tracking is first then mixing. If I have to, I will wait to get a mix bus compressor. As stated I can always send stereo files out for mastering or do it myself at a later time. Right now the priority is getting the outboard/ into the box/out of the box gear functional.
Old 5th July 2009
IM_
Gear Head

Esoteric 660.

this is killer high end.
Old 5th July 2009
Deleted User
I would think that one 1176 and one la2a would be good for you since you don't care too much about the mix bus. You'd probably always hang on to an 1176 and la2a in the same way you'd always keep an api 2500.
An alternative would be the Aurora audio gtc2. It is a fet, opto and has a combination mode. Aurora has an great reputation for sweet coloration and juicy tone.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

thanks guys ! I ended up ordering the api 525 and 550b eq I am also thinking of going for a distressor now which should cover alot of bases
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

wow PTL just got a great deal on a new Distressor , Im stoked!
Old 21st July 2009
Here for the gear

Sweet! Nice thread, thanks for bringing this up.

Just a notice, there are used 525's on Ebay for $618 right now. I was about to pull the trigger on new ones when I found this. Scored a pair.

The downside is that my 6 space lunchbox is mighty short on space. I started with OSA Mp-1 and very quickly went to a pair of stock API 512c. Tomorrow some FiveFish x12 kits arrive, leaving me with one more 500 unit than I have spaces.

You are all responsible for my misery. Thanks a lot.
Old 21st July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
You are all responsible for my misery. Thanks a lot.
That's a special kind of misery that only those with too many 500 series units can truly appreciate.

But there are plenty of folk here who would be only too glad to help you out of your dire predicament.
Old 21st July 2009
Lives for gear

vocals and bass

EAR 660
FAIRMAN
FAIRCHILD 660
Old 21st July 2009
Lives for gear

Just a follow up. Really pleased with the 525 on vocals and bass. Fat creamy, smooth with that API sound. Seems no matter how you tweak it it works... I guess that's the "one trick pony" advantage point. What it does it does reaaaaaalllly well ! Distressor is incredible too. Different, obviously way more versatile. Put it on guitar and it had plenty of places to go... Seems Im kind of partial to the "opto" mode... Also the GR pre is wonderful! Getting fatness and detail from the AKG C12b I always knew was there but wasnt really getting PTL for good gear
Old 22nd July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpark View Post
vocals and bass

EAR 660
FAIRMAN
FAIRCHILD 660
I would add the Variable-Gm stereo compressor to the list:
absolutely fantastic on the 2-bus, the best 3D stereo image i've heard on this type of comps, wonderful sounding for vocals and bass.
Old 22nd July 2009
Here for the gear

i always like to recommend the vintage dbx 160VU...
an awseom comp!
Old 22nd July 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
UBK FATSO...will cover just about any tracking or mixing duty you could throw at it

Brad
+1 !!!!!
Old 23rd July 2009
Gear Nut

33609! Go Neve!
Old 5th August 2009
Deleted User
That's cool about the API compressor. I've been really curious about the 525 and the 225L in terms of what they can do vis a vis SSL. I've got a rack of SSL xrack comps that I love on drums but find them lacking on other sources...especially vocals.

Will the 525 handle a strong metal singer like Maynard from Tool Ior Trent Reznor from NIN?

I know most people use an 1176 or la2a when tracking and mixing vocals but the "rack" systems are so freaking tidy and easy to move around.
Old 6th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRockit View Post
Yes I was originally thinking Distressor, have heard pros and cons about them in here , mostly pros...
I just got one and LOVE IT!!! I didn't realize just how versatile they really are until I started playing with it.

Highly recommend getting one. You can always get the other stuff later!
Old 6th August 2009
Neve 33069 would be my pick, but I've never used the UBK Fatso.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search