The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DBX Quantum - AD/DA conversion quality
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Addict

DBX Quantum - AD/DA conversion quality

Bypassing all other functions, any opinions on the quality of the conversion in this unit? Knowing it's long in the tooth in age, how does the conversion compare to what's currently on the market (mid to high-end offerings)?

Thanks slutz.

John
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Addict

I know it's not as chic or slutty as asking "which preamp sounds just like a 1073 without me having to actually spend money on a 1073" or "I have 10k to spend on equipment for my bedroom, I mean studio... no, I'm not a student working on a paper."

Anyone with experience with the quantum (and other mid to high-end converters) with thoughts about the quality of the onboard converters?

Best and thanks,

John
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear

Hi,
I use a Quantum quite often. The converters that I can regularly compare it to are HEDD 192 and RME Fireface. Afraid to say that I prefer both these over the Quantum's.

To my ears the Quantum's converters sound a bit thinner, more clinical and perhaps more 2 dimensional than the RME's. The RME comes out sounding slightly heavier, possibly a wee bit cloudier in comparison. The HEDD is wonderful and it would be unfair to compare it to a Quantum.

You do, however get DBX's proprietary "type 4" system, which is a quite effective way to protect against over clips and a kind of tape saturation effect. Personally, I find that the "tape saturation" is far removed from my experience with tape machines and colors the source signal like hell. They come across as EQ curves compared to the HEDD's emulations.

Having written all this, the Quantum's converters are certainly capable and it wouldn't bother me at all if they were the only converters available for a job.
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Addict

Thanks for your input. leaper.

Thoughts from anyone else?

Best,

John
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info,

is this the same converters as the DDP?
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco judas View Post

is this the same converters as the DDP?
Actually not! At least, there is a declared 5 dB greater dynamic range on the Quantum's AD side and 10 dB on the DA, compared to the DDP.
It appears that the test conditions ( A weighted, etc) are similar.. so I'm assuming that the converters are different. The DDP loses out on headroom.
Old 13th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaper View Post
To my ears the Quantum's converters sound a bit thinner, more clinical and perhaps more 2 dimensional than the RME's. The RME comes out sounding slightly heavier, possibly a wee bit cloudier in comparison.
Hmm, going over this again, it's interesting that you prefer the Fireface to the Quantum. That has me wondering how the conversion of the Fireface and ADI-8 DS compare. Because I'm now comparing the Quantum to my ADI-8 DS, and regardless of how I sync them, I don't think they are that far apart. Though, the RME does have a hair less definition, especially the DA side. And I would imagine, perhaps incorrectly, that the ADI-8 DS has a bit better conversion than the fireface, no?

Regardless, as I don't use the DBX for mastering on-air deliverables anymore, I'm selling it... and the RME, and moving over to the newer 8-channel Mytek box.

Thanks again for your thoughts, leaper.

John

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search