The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Api 1608: the only console in the world that don't work with Tonelux Shadow Mix
Old 14th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
thanks alot Badge.

just noticed Thrill's post too... thanks to both of you.

i'll just have to sit in front of one and figure it out when i get a chance.
thumbsup
Old 14th July 2009
outofphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
lol.God bless Trent and his AWSthumbsup.
I actually feel sad for you because this is the only way you can contribute to the Gearslutz high end forums discussion..from the sidelines and not as an actual end user of the gear being discussed.
rock on,your entertaining to say the least.heh
Ignore function is your friend... right?
Old 14th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase View Post
Ignore function is your friend... right?
That the beauty of this place innit?
sometimes when we're bored we can "unignore"
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear

Hey!!!!
Finally i have had good news about api automation!!!!
I can't speak, only i can ensure that in next future api 1608 will may have automation.
So,yeah, now we all can think on api 1608 like an amazing console for sound, engineering and also for capability to run automation!!!!
Old 14th July 2009
SK1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by api1608 View Post
Hey!!!!
I can't speak, only i can ensure that in next future api 1608 will may have automation.
So,yeah, now we all can think on api 1608 like an amazing console for sound, engineering and also for capability to run automation!!!!
I'll believe it when I see it. Telling your customers that automation is coming and then dragging your feet or pulling the plug all together is bad business.

Old 14th July 2009
SK1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousfun View Post
I don't have a good answer why Tonelux won't work in an API.

Flying Faders will work. Flying Faders does cost a little over $1,000 per-channel for a 32-channel system, as opposed to Toneluxe at about $650/channel.

With Flying Faders you get a robust, time-tested standalone automation system that plays perfectly with DAWs using SMPTE time code. FF has switches on each fader, making the automation fast and intuitive. Flying Faders can automate up to 256 channels, Tonelux is limited by the HUI protocol.

We will soon incorporate DAW control via the HUI protocol, like Tonelux, Neve, SSL, etc. .........
So will FF work on the same mac I'm running logic on or would I need a separate computer?

What makes the 1608 so appealing is that I already have a bunch of 500 series eqs and comps. But, I'm not opposed to selling them or integrating them into a tonelux rig when the time comes.

Old 14th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK1 View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. T
Exactly.
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
So will FF work on the same mac I'm running logic on or would I need a separate computer?
you need a separate computer. it's a great system and though it syncs to your DAW, it doesn't talk to your DAW.

to each his own, but two separate automation systems in one session isn't my cup of tea.
Old 14th July 2009
What's the story then?

Quote:
Hey!!!!
Old 15th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
you need a separate computer. it's a great system and though it syncs to your DAW, it doesn't talk to your DAW.

to each his own, but two separate automation systems in one session isn't my cup of tea.
100% agree.
having your auto part of your PT session is the way to do it,ala Shadowmix.
Old 15th July 2009
outofphase
Quote:
sometimes when we're bored we can "unignore"
Then enjoy. fuuck
Old 15th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Then enjoy. fuuck
Lol..Here you go.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/moan-...net-idiot.html
Old 15th July 2009
outofphase
Quote:
Great, that bitter guy described there is you! With the difference that you own that gear, but for renting!!
Every time I post something, your answer is "Ignore is a great function", the funny thing is that you always respond to me!!
With 6659 posts, I'm sure you have A LOT of free time to talk (and pimp) about gear, go make some music bro.

Old 15th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Great, that bitter guy described there is you! With the difference that you own that gear, but for renting!!
Every time I post something, your answer is "Ignore is a great function", the funny thing is that you always respond to me!!
With 6659 posts, I'm sure you have A LOT of free time to talk (and pimp) about gear, go make some music bro.

Wishful thinking.nice try..eehh -FAIL.heh
we don't rent rear anymore.no time
keep up the good work!your contributions are thumbsup
Old 16th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
also my buddy is tracking/mixing on one right now and is freaking out over it.
tomorrow he moves to an 8068 room for two weeks,we'll see if the love sticks.
Raal I think you'll probably like it .just don't expect an 8068 which i know you don't
the Genensys did nothing for me.I'd pick Rupert's deal over that one in a mouses heartbeat.

PS: I heard there's a chance of an API bucket option in the 5088.very interesting.
maybe someone from RNC could confirm.

Don't see it as an issue
RB,

please update us how your friend likes the 5088 after using the 8068 for two weeks.
Old 16th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbonmicguy View Post
RB,

please update us how your friend likes the 5088 after using the 8068 for two weeks.
you got it.
gonna go hang w/ him tomorrow .we'll compare notes
Old 16th July 2009
SK1
Lives for gear

Not one good answer why shadowmix won't work with an API 1608.

What's the issue? Is it really not fixable?

Old 16th July 2009
Gear Addict

Just curious - has Tonelux officially stated that ShadowMix WILL work on other API boards, such as the Legacy, but NOT the 1608?

Here's what I'm thinking:
If Paul agreed not to build products that worked in an API console (a limited non-compete)... and then he built something universal... he couldn't say it'd work in an API console, even if it did. Nor could he publicly say "just have your local tech install it. I can't tell you how... but..."

Has any interested party asked a tech if it can be done?
Old 16th July 2009
SK1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaehner View Post
Just curious - has Tonelux officially stated that ShadowMix WILL work on other API boards, such as the Legacy, but NOT the 1608?

Here's what I'm thinking:
If Paul agreed not to build products that worked in an API console (a limited non-compete)... and then he built something universal... he couldn't say it'd work in an API console, even if it did. Nor could he publicly say "just have your local tech install it. I can't tell you how... but..."

Has any interested party asked a tech if it can be done?
That's a great question.
Old 17th July 2009
Quote:
That's a great question.
+1!
Old 17th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaehner View Post
Paul did do a SM system for a vintage API a couple years ago and from what I understand it worked really well.don't know about compatibility w/ the newer stuff though
Old 18th July 2009
Gear Addict

I finally found the thread I was looking for...

In this thread, Paul Wolff states that the fader load has to be 100k at the input for it to work correctly. Maybe the API 1608 faders aren't compatible for that reason.

Here's the link to the thread:

Do you use console or Pro Tools automation?

Here is a quote from that thread from Paul:

[We support only the following consoles:

Neve (old and new)
Tonelux
Daking
Trident
Wunder
Helios
and some older ones.

The fader input to the desk needs to have a 100K load for the fader to track the DAW. Ones not listed don't.

With the non-Tonelux systems, we can do the panels or provide the drawings. We don't do the installation, but it is super simple.

Currently, we have placed as many systems with the new Neve console as our own.]
Old 25th July 2009
Gear Addict

I spoke to a client of mine a few days ago who is considering a 32 channel 1608. He told me that API said that automation for the 1608 will be ready in the next couple of months. The fact that they said that means something hopefully. I would hope they wouldn't say it just to get him to buy the console.
Old 25th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildrummerboy70 View Post
I spoke to a client of mine a few days ago who is considering a 32 channel 1608. He told me that API said that automation for the 1608 will be ready in the next couple of months. The fact that they said that means something hopefully. I would hope they wouldn't say it just to get him to buy the console.
I asked them at Namm last week. They say they have no current plans to introduce it because ther is no customer interest in it: "people ordering the 1608 just arent asking for it". I asked whether they could ask for it. He said "no, it's not an option". He didn't see the circularity of the argument. I'm now wondering whether I should be looking for a used legacy instead...
Old 25th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Its definitely not happening.
maybe in the future if the requests keep coming..but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 25th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimskidog View Post
I'm now wondering whether I should be looking for a used legacy instead...
While your looking check out the Rupert Neve 5088 as well.I did and its pretty great.
its on my radar for when i move to a bigger space.
Old 25th July 2009
Quote:
While your looking check out the Rupert Neve 5088 as well.I did and its pretty great.
its on my radar for when i move to a bigger space.
Thanks man, though I'm pretty much set on an API of one form or another. It just ticks too many boxes not to...!
Old 26th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can confirm that.
Old 26th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
I can confirm that.
Weird.
I spoke to the tech dept at API a few days ago and they said its not happening

i'll believe it when i see it.
Old 26th July 2009
Gear Addict

Pardon my ignorance but why spend so much money these days on automation and not use the automation features of your DAW and have the console for mixing the levels?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search