The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trent Reznor Vocal Effect
Old 29th April 2003
Gear Nut

Trent Reznor Vocal Effect

There is a vocal effect on a song call "Star ****ers" I am trying to achieve. It is a rat ta tat tat sound on the vocal. Almost a raygun type of delayed weirdness. It sounds like a sample copy and pasted multiple times over and over. Does anyone know if there is a plugin out there that will do it. Anyone know? I have a band in now and they are really hot to get this effect. Help!

Thanks,
Keith
Monster Music Studios
Old 29th April 2003
I can't think of a plug at this moment but the Roland VP-9000 does this.

Also I have a patch on the DSP7000 that does something similar.
Old 29th April 2003
Lives for gear

I remember the song but can't remember the effect. Maybe it's a gate being triggered by an external source like a 32nd note drum machine hi-hat or something?
Old 29th April 2003
I've done a fair amount of that style processing to vocals/drums/guitars/etc. and it's a cut/copy/paste affair more often than not. Process the new slices of audio differently, whatever. It's not fast, but it can be cool. You can also use an LFO in a softsynth to key a gate on the vocal if you just want a stuttery (ummm..that should read s-t-u-t-t-e-r-y) effect without the repetition of a little slice or phrase.

Don't know what platform you're on, but I use the DestroyFX plug-ins all the time for healthy mangling , particularly BufferOverride and Skidder.
Old 29th April 2003
Lives for gear

These just sound like chopped up vocals to me. Grab a syllable and Apple D the hell out of it. Try pitch shifting them in like groups of 4. Lynkin Park does this sort of thing a lot.
Old 30th April 2003
Gear Nut

wow

Thanks. I am giong to try a few of these suggestions. If I find something cool in the way of a plug I will post again.

Keith
Old 30th April 2003
jho
Lives for gear

If you are using PT or similar DAW, in grid mode change the grid to 64 notes. zoom in and start chopping stuff out of the in between 64th notes. Cross fade all that so no digital glitchery is heard. Now select the audio segment and a little longer than the original (like a second or two) and consolidate it. Add some reverb, echo, someother effect. Reverse it again and slide it right before the vocal starts...
Old 30th April 2003
jho
Lives for gear

Oh and also you can get something similar to my suggestion above using Waves "mondo mod" in the 'pulsating gate' preset. experiment. The best ones happen by accident sometimes.
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

Everytime Ihear that effect I cant help but think of the Boby Brown dance remix album from the eighties. "My name is B-b-b-b-brown. That'w what they c-c-call me". Or I think of Max Headroom.
Old 30th April 2003
Gear Nut

Wow great suggestions j-Lo (Sorry I mean Ho)J.Jokin
Exactly G-man - Max headroom type of effect.

Cool

Thanks,

Keith
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by G-man
Or I think of Max Headroom.
LOL!!!

The forefather of my scratched CDs.
Old 1st May 2003
jho
Lives for gear

Rocket it into the 22nd Century and Slap some timeblender or pitchblender to taste..or enigma..
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Nut

hmmm,

Vely Intelesting.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search