The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AMEK Mozart 40ch. console
Old 18th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
If you are still AMEK Mozart 40ch. consolelooking ...
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

I have been watching that one for a while and even talked to the guy that owns it. Could be awesome...could be a boat anchor...
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

Hi
I would be more tempted to look for a Rembrandt or Galileo as the Mozarts are getting on rather.
Most of the AMEK desks are pretty reasonable to keep working as there are relatively few 'custom' parts. Upgrading to alternative chips can help things along too.
Matt S
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

Hey Matt. I actually placed a bid on that desk and was told that it was recapped recently but the seller was very vague. How tough is it to recap one of these?
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

Hi
It is not a job for the faint hearted but essentially if you can desolder and solder NEATLY working with pretty thin traces it is 'easy'. IF you rush it or are heavy handed then repairing what you have ripped up can take hours. I have recapped several and it is NOT exciting! I think about 80 caps per channel strip, perhaps less (60?) if they are not MZ15s.
As with ALL old gear you MUST take a look at it and LISTEN for dirty pots and switches. Most pots will usually clean up with some excercise and switches can be cleaned with reasonable success.
Matt S
Old 18th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
I would be more tempted to look for a Rembrandt or Galileo as the Mozarts are getting on rather.
Most of the AMEK desks are pretty reasonable to keep working as there are relatively few 'custom' parts. Upgrading to alternative chips can help things along too.
Matt S
Quote:
It is not a job for the faint hearted but essentially if you can desolder and solder NEATLY working with pretty thin traces it is 'easy'. IF you rush it or are heavy handed then repairing what you have ripped up can take hours. I have recapped several and it is NOT exciting! I think about 80 caps per channel strip, perhaps less (60?) if they are not MZ15s.
As with ALL old gear you MUST take a look at it and LISTEN for dirty pots and switches. Most pots will usually clean up with some excercise and switches can be cleaned with reasonable success.
to the above... Some of the switches and pots in a Mozart are getting harder to find, and a Galileo will require much less work and actually sounds better, IMO having owned both. You are not buying one for $4k though...

Best-
Jonathan
Old 11th April 2013
Gear Head

Mozart

Just curious.

Can a Mozart board run with no automation.

Do I need an automation computer to make this console run?

I would like to just pass audio through this board, use eq, sum etc etc.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 11th April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulonbass View Post
Just curious.

Can a Mozart board run with no automation.

Do I need an automation computer to make this console run?

I would like to just pass audio through this board, use eq, sum etc etc.

Thanks,

Paul
Yes and no, some features can only be accessed from the computer. You don't need to run the automation to use the desk, but would want it for configuration. Plus the auto is handy and works well.

Best-
Jonathan
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

I may be a little out of line in this thread, but if anyone is looking for an Amek, I am selling my 64ch APC1000 with GML automation and 48ch of dynamics. To be completely honest, my console, and their 9098 were Amek's flagship consoles. It will blow the doors off any other amek listed in this thread. I have it listed on here for $15,000. See the link below in my signature.

A
Old 15th April 2013
Lives for gear

Hi
You would NEED to use the computer automation to use Virtual Dynamics if your desk has it fitted. Otherwise practically all functions are operable using the grouping computer which MUST work and as far as I am aware is pretty reliable although you should replace it's 3.6 Volt battery every few years. There are also 4 rechargeable batteries on the centre section motherboard. These should also be checked periodically just so they don't leak and damage the circuit board. These batteries retain the 'soft switch' selections (aux mutes and whatever) when the desk is powered down. If you are using Supertrue this is not so important as the Supertrue will reset all switches to whatever mix was saved last.
There are very few parts you might need that are really 'unobtainable', switches are easy to find for example.
I would suggest replacing both these battery types every 3 years as the batteries are cheap and pretty easy to swap, replacing a decomposed circuity board is not!
Matt S
Old 15th December 2014
Here for the gear

Love that consolle
Great sounding pres and EQ,
many Mina and Morricone masterpieces have been mixed on it
I will never sell it out until I'll be able to maintain it
Every engineer has his own tools and the Mozart with the mz15 rn does his great job

here is the schematic

MZ15-RN input module schems

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search